2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

This Mustang will make a great bracket car

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/13, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This Mustang will make a great bracket car

So I finally got to take my new 11 GT to the track. All I have to say is without a doubt this is going to be a great bracket car. I have a MT V6 and wanted a GT specifically for racing but I was a bit worried with so much electronics involved that it might not be consistent. Well thankfully that worry appears to be alleviated!

I took it to a local 1/8th mile track. After a few embarrassing trial runs due to this being the first time racing this car and the first time at a new track, I finally started to get this car down. First run, had no idea where the staging beams were. So I rolled right past both beams thinking they were at least another 2 feet down the track...lol. Ok back up to the staging lights. Next, I had no idea how to launch the car. I haven't driven an automatic in years so I felt a bit lost on that first launch. I launched from idle. No issues with traction. Next as I'm going down the track I have no idea where the finish line is so I let up about 50 feet before the finish. Crap...ok first run in the can.

Second run, get up to the burnout area and I have no idea if the car was in neutral or what. But go to do a burnout and nothing...lol. Scared the crap out of myself that I already broke my car. After fumbling around with the shifter got it into drive and did a small burnout. Found the staging lights easier this time. Great...at least this time now I know basically where the lights are. Again launched from idle. Horrible RT (reaction time) and 60 ft not what it should be I think. It felt like the car hesitated greatly while launching. Ok, next race I'll try launching at a higher RPM.

Third time down the track. Now it's eliminations. Nothing like learning a new car and a new track in the heat of competition...lol. Did a perfect burnout. Found the staging lights perfectly...and got on the brake and revved up. Oh YEAH...that's RIGHT...Automatics have this great thing called a stall convertor...haha. So the stall is at about 2,000 RPMs...yellow, yellow..(launch on the third amber) and RED LIGHT....crap. Wow that launch was nice and felt great. Ran a 1.9798 60ft and a 8.45 1/8th. But now realized my compensation for the hesitation I felt earlier needs to be readjusted. Launching on the stall made launching a million times easier. And I'll tell you what, after racing a MT for a few years before, this was a feeling of heaven not having to play that balancing act of slipping the clutch and having my RPM's. bopping all over the place.

Ok...I'll do a buyback. And I'll start to see if the car has any consistency now.

Fourth race...perfect burnout, perfect staging...and YES, a pretty good launch...and WINNER. Won this race. My RT was .5859 (.5 is perfect). 60FT was 1.970. I dialed a 8.43 and ran a 8.4529. My opponent ran slightly closer to their index but I won a holeshot. But also, darn consistent. The car ran very close to my previous run.

Fifth race...let's see how that consistency really holds up. Kept my dial in the same, but something kept telling me I really should change it to a 8.44. Oh well...I'll keep it at 8.43 so I can run all out. Everything perfect setting up....and launch...wow that launch felt good. Running down the track. My opponent was a fair amount faster so he's running me down. Hit the finish line. Still being a new track I can't really tell who is where on this track. CRAP...I lost. Let's see the slip. RT was great...exactly what I want to do. I had a .5221. My opponent had a .5231. So I barely had a better reaction time. 60ft was 1.9710. I ran a 8.4438. My opponent ran .0058 above his index.**** IT...I knew I should have dialed an 8.44. I would have won if I did. My opponent basically ran a perfect race.

Oh well...over all I'm very happy. This car is **** consistent. The times may seem slow but this track is definitely not level and goes uphill. It feels a bit like a roller coaster lol. Traction was great though. Not once did I spin my tires. So even though the times seem slow, I don't think they can really be improved on much. And they were very consistent. Fine tune some more variables getting used to the car and I think it's going to perform very well.
Old 4/28/13, 01:05 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want a real bracket brawler, get an auto car. They are time machines. I have seen racers get an automatic rental car and win big money bracket races.
Old 4/28/13, 05:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Great write up about your new purchase for a good bracket car. Glad you are happy with it.
Old 4/28/13, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt 3309
If you want a real bracket brawler, get an auto car. They are time machines. I have seen racers get an automatic rental car and win big money bracket races.
Agreed Bullitt...maybe I wasn't clear in my post but my GT is an automatic. I had been racing my V6 which is an MT for the last few years. And while I felt like I held my own pretty well, I just couldn't compete on a week after week basis or even a run-to-run basis sometimes. Not to mention the MT-82 is NOT a tranny that can be reliably driven hard by any stretch of the imagination. Racing the AT is night and day compared to the MT-82.
Old 4/28/13, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Great write up about your new purchase for a good bracket car. Glad you are happy with it.
Thanks Steve!
Old 4/28/13, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
edit

Last edited by lsxjunkie; 9/11/24 at 10:19 PM.
Old 4/28/13, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I ran an automatic IS250AWD in the gamblers series a couple of times dialing a 17.xx. It was great forcing 11 second cars to have to chase me down and then slam the brakes on the big end to try not to break out.

BTW it's not a stall converter. It's a torque converter. All of them have a stall speed. You might actually get a better 60' by stalling the car up to 1700 and letting it flash. Also, you may be able to time that to cut a better light. Conversely, you might blow the tires off.

Does your track actually mark RT from the third yellow? (i.e. .499 is a redlight) I've raced at Island, Englishtown, and Atco and I've cut .0xs and .00xs on slips at each.
True it is a torque convertor...trying to get the AT terminology down after driving nothing but MT's my entire life

You are correct on stalling the car up. That's when I finally figured out the best way to launch this car when I started stalling it up.

Yes the track marks from the third amber. So .50 is perfect. That tends to be how the tracks around where I live do the marking.

haha...I love gamblers' races. It's funny watching massively different cars racing each other. I think a lot of top mod cars also underestimate street cars in those races.