2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Muscle Car or V6?

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/10 | 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
There aren't any "Muscle Cars" any more, at least not in the classic definition of the term.

Muscle cars were, back in the 60's, mid-size cars with big high HP V8 motors and not much else. All they did was go fast in mostly a straight line. They didn't go around corners particularly well and didn't stop very well. They were the GTO's, Hemi Road Runners, SS Chevelles, 427 Fairlanes, etc.

Mustangs are "Pony Cars", cars that may well have a big high HP engine, but they also handle and stop well. They are the all-around athlete of the car world instead of the staid heavy-hitter cars that only do one thing well.
You are correct sir. The Mustang is a pony car. That's where the name "pony car" came from!!
Old 5/4/10 | 09:53 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by PodLite
Thanks everyone for all the info! The way I'm understanding it, it seems like the term "muscle car" wouldn't really apply to any modern day production car since I don't think cars are made to just go in a straight line anymore? Or maybe the definition of "muscle car" has evolved to include such things as handling, but still requires the engine power to make it stand out from the rest?
No, the "Muscle Car" is a thing of the past. A true performance car has to have more than just muscle to make it great and all the current cars we are talking about, Mustang, camaro, challenger, charger, etc. have more than just muscle. Even the tuner cars, Roush, Saleen, SMS, that have tons of horsepower, also have tons of handling and refined interiors and road manners, thay are not just blunt instruments like classic "Muscle Cars" were, way back when.

The term "Muscle Car" is outdated...
Old 5/4/10 | 10:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by InsidiousGT
A lot of car mags are using the term "hustle cars" for the new V6's, which I like. It has all the connotations of "muscle cars" but still appease's the die-hard people who say a v6 can't be a muscle car.

I'll tell you, the '11 V6 blows my '02 GT out of the water in pretty much every category, and mine was called a pure-bread muscle car 10 years ago.
Interesting point. Some even say that the NEW EDGE Mustangs have a more muscle car feel than the S197 does. I for one am one of those. The S197 is a more comfortable cruiser and more refined than the 99-04s were. As a result of the change, I feel it lost a bit of the roughness that the NEW EDGE Mustangs had. When I see a clean 99-04 GT on the road, I still check it out man. They were great cars!
Old 5/4/10 | 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

There's never going to be a broadly accepted consensus on this. Even stepping out of the discussion on Mustangs, where do you draw the line between a family car and a luxury car? It used to be that if a car had cruise control, leather seats, power door locks, seats, and windows, that was considered a luxury car. Today all that stuff is common. A well equipped Ford Fusion has more luxury features than a mid-eighties Cadillac or Mercedez-Benz but you would be laughed at if you told people you have a luxury car and then you pulled up in a Fusion.

Exactly where do you draw the line between a station wagon and a crossover? Is it roof height, the slope of the grill, ground clearance? I don't think it's worth losing sleep over trying to define exactly where these borders lie. If one person calls their Mustang a sports car and another person calls a Genesis Coupe a pony car, I'm not going to argue with them.
Old 5/4/10 | 12:15 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
No, the "Muscle Car" is a thing of the past. A true performance car has to have more than just muscle to make it great and all the current cars we are talking about, Mustang, camaro, challenger, charger, etc. have more than just muscle. Even the tuner cars, Roush, Saleen, SMS, that have tons of horsepower, also have tons of handling and refined interiors and road manners, thay are not just blunt instruments like classic "Muscle Cars" were, way back when.

The term "Muscle Car" is outdated...
I have to agree with that although the phrase may not die out. There is no question the Mustang is now a 'performance car'. It does the 1/4, two lane twisties, refined for comfort & efficiency. Very versatile.

Heck I haven't been able to drive more than 4+ hours without limping for a couple of days afterwards for years. Drove my B for an 8 hr. loop to the Coast and back, and I was fine.

Couldn't have done that in the 60's Mustang or any other muscle car back then. Not to mention the metal doors and dash! LOL

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/4/10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 5/4/10 | 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

If it makes you feel any better, Motor Trend now calls the V6 Mustang a muscle car.

Just buy one and enjoy.
Old 5/4/10 | 01:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

This has to be the best question this year. Also some **** good answers.
Old 5/4/10 | 02:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There is a table that lists a "pony" vs "muscle" car in this Wikipedia article from each of the major manufacturers back from the 1960s.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 5/4/10 at 02:08 PM.
Old 5/4/10 | 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Automagically
Not sure if you have seen V6 Premium yet, but you should check it out. It has NAV, SYNC, HID's and even leather! Sorry, not to be a smart ***, but someone else would have caught this soon enough.
That might be available in the US but I'm in Canada and the website does not allow me to configure a 6 cylinder with NAV nor does the brochure list NAV as an option for the 6 cylinder. There is a V6 Pony Package in Canada but not a Premium package and as far as I can tell the Pony package does not include NAV.
Old 5/4/10 | 07:21 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Former 5.0 owner
That might be available in the US but I'm in Canada and the website does not allow me to configure a 6 cylinder with NAV nor does the brochure list NAV as an option for the 6 cylinder. There is a V6 Pony Package in Canada but not a Premium package and as far as I can tell the Pony package does not include NAV.
Could always go south of the border...