2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MT82 - upgrade or replace for 650whp

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/16, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT82 - upgrade or replace for 650whp

Hello all - I'm slowly and properly building my '14 GT up to the point of eventually going FI and pushing 600-700whp. This is my daily driver and therefore, will only be beating on it every so often (3-4 times a year) at the track, so longevity is also a huge factor. I really don't plan on drag racing - way too hard on the car and seen way too many crash videos. I prefer more of a circuit track, so I won't be using radials. Again - it's my DD, so therefore it's primarily a street car. Just tracking it occasionally for pure non-competitive fun. What would be the best route in regards to the tranny? Upgrade to a Magnum XL or 6060 or would it be more cost effective (based on my desired gains and usage) to upgrade the MT82 clutch/flywheel/driveshaft/shifter etc.? Thanks!

Edit: Just to clarify my intended use for this car - I'm trying to create a hybrid between a street FI beast to rival the GT500 and a capable track car with upgraded suspension/brakes to rival the Boss. Again - NOT looking to shave hundredths of a second off of my track times. I didn't buy a GT350 or a Boss. I didn't buy a GT500. I'm attempting to combine the two arts as well as one can. My primary focus is any DD car's natural habitat - the street, therefore FI is my goal.

Last edited by ClayP; 1/28/16 at 01:21 PM.
Old 1/27/16, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Get rid of the manual and go with a 6R80. That transmission is a beast. Don't throw money away on that Chinese manufactured MT82.
Old 1/27/16, 07:06 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ Robert has a good point. Isn't a Tremec (manual) also an option?

FWIW, I'm pushing 600whp, but still have my Chinese-made MT82, and it's been good so far. However, I don't DD it, nor do I beat on it at the track/drag, etc.
Old 1/27/16, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
A lot depends on how much traction you have. GM has gotten away with the combination of high output engines and crappy rear ends for decades simply because with street tires the tires blow off before the rear end gears or axles fail. Put slicks on and on a well prepped track and the rear ends start exploding. If you race a lot with slicks or good drag radials I think you can expect drivetrain failures, probably starting with clutches and axles. I don't think the MT82 will tolerate too much drag strip use at that power level with slicks and good traction. Robert is correct about using an automatic transmission for drag racing, it's much more reliable and consistent.
Old 1/27/16, 10:49 AM

I should make a correction - I really don't plan on drag racing - way too hard on the car and seen way too many crash videos. I prefer more of a circuit track (again, only 3-4 times a year at most), so I won't be using radials. Of course, I'll still have the occasional street 50-60mph pull, but I'm just using 275 summer tires on the back.

Last edited by ClayP; 1/27/16 at 11:01 AM.
Old 1/27/16, 12:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,027 Posts
and you probably don't want an automatic for the road track either, right?

I'm thinking a 6060 out of a GT500 would be your best bet, but I don't really know what I'm talking about so hopefully someone who does will chime in.
Old 1/27/16, 03:38 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I understand your desire for more horsepower. Just like sex and money most of us would like to have more of it, but if your serious about wanting to do track days and some autocross I think you will find that simply learning to use what you already have will be challenging enough. An honest 600 horsepower even at the crank much less at the wheels will pretty much overwhelm the chassis and available traction unless you're willing to convert a really nice street car into a near race car which would be rather unpleasant for normal street use. I'll also add that while FI will certainly be capable of producing the power levels you desire it will also add front end weight which you certainly don't want or need for good handling. If you look at the road tests for GT 500's you will see that even with upgraded suspensions and brakes from the factory they were quite a handful on a road course. Aftermarket FI will also be more prone to overheating issues when doing hard fast laps than factory engineered setups. It's no coincidence that the NA Boss 302 was a better track car than the GT 500. I would concentrate your money on track time/driving schools for yourself and chassis mods that are still livable on the street. Sorry to be such a kill joy.
Old 1/27/16, 03:40 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Bert
and you probably don't want an automatic for the road track either, right?

I'm thinking a 6060 out of a GT500 would be your best bet, but I don't really know what I'm talking about so hopefully someone who does will chime in.
That's what I was looking for. Tremec 6060 right? That's what I meant. I also think that route is best. Heck, I want one.
Old 1/27/16, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SilrBult
I understand your desire for more horsepower. Just like sex and money most of us would like to have more of it, but if your serious about wanting to do track days and some autocross I think you will find that simply learning to use what you already have will be challenging enough. An honest 600 horsepower even at the crank much less at the wheels will pretty much overwhelm the chassis and available traction unless you're willing to convert a really nice street car into a near race car which would be rather unpleasant for normal street use. I'll also add that while FI will certainly be capable of producing the power levels you desire it will also add front end weight which you certainly don't want or need for good handling. If you look at the road tests for GT 500's you will see that even with upgraded suspensions and brakes from the factory they were quite a handful on a road course. Aftermarket FI will also be more prone to overheating issues when doing hard fast laps than factory engineered setups. It's no coincidence that the NA Boss 302 was a better track car than the GT 500. I would concentrate your money on track time/driving schools for yourself and chassis mods that are still livable on the street. Sorry to be such a kill joy.
Agree with all of this.
Old 1/27/16, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Why not get a good clutch, fluid and MGW and call it a day? That's about $1k option. The MT82 itself isn't really a bad trans. You don't see too many people with broken teeth, seized up gears or synchro issues. And the ones that do pop up have some drag strip abuse on them I think. Plus there are plenty of FI cars running around without issues with the stock trans.
Old 1/27/16, 07:13 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Why not get a good clutch, fluid and MGW and call it a day? That's about $1k option. The MT82 itself isn't really a bad trans. You don't see too many people with broken teeth, seized up gears or synchro issues. And the ones that do pop up have some drag strip abuse on them I think. Plus there are plenty of FI cars running around without issues with the stock trans.
I'm one of those such FI folks with stock trans . MGW of course
Old 1/27/16, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by SilrBult
. . .. Aftermarket FI will also be more prone to overheating issues when doing hard fast laps than factory engineered setups. It's no coincidence that the NA Boss 302 was a better track car than the GT 500. I would concentrate your money on track time/driving schools for yourself and chassis mods that are still livable on the street. Sorry to be such a kill joy.
This is an important point. If you want a good road track car, supercharger is probably not the best choice. They are prone to heat soak / overheating . . . at my local track there is a guy with a 2010 Roush Stage 3. Basically the same car as mine, but with the TVS supercharger and done right by all accounts. He has at least 150 HP over my car . . . but he has overheating problems, and I don't. And I bet his lap times aren't much better than mine. (don't really know because we haven't timed them)

The limiting factor on a road course is the corners, not the straights -- so handling mods, starting with wheels and tires, is the best place to spend the money.
Old 1/27/16, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
That's what I was looking for. Tremec 6060 right? That's what I meant. I also think that route is best. Heck, I want one.
I know where there is one with 222.5 miles out of a 2013 GT500

PM me if interested

LEXiiON
Old 1/28/16, 07:01 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
I know where there is one with 222.5 miles out of a 2013 GT500

PM me if interested

LEXiiON
Thanks man! I didn't know you already physically had all the parts from that wrecked Shelby. Did you actually purchase the whole wreck? and it's sitting somewhere on your property? I wish I had that space
Old 1/28/16, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Thanks man! I didn't know you already physically had all the parts from that wrecked Shelby. Did you actually purchase the whole wreck? and it's sitting somewhere on your property? I wish I had that space
Well, no. I didn't purchase the whole car. Only the stuff that i needed. EcoStang bought some more items for his build, but the TR6060 is still available. Just saying...

LEXiiON
Old 1/28/16, 12:06 PM

A valid point, but like I said, this is my DD. It's more of a street car - tracking it only 3-4 times a year at absolute most - and purely for fun (I'm not looking to cut hundredths of a second off of my times). If this car was specifically for the track, I'd have gotten a Boss. I guess you could say I'm looking to create a hybrid - a street FI monster like the GT500 but still track worthy with future brake and suspension upgrades.

Last edited by ClayP; 1/28/16 at 12:08 PM.
Old 1/28/16, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Invest in the Ford Racing Radiator. Horsepower equals heat. you'll be happy and that radiator has 2.5 times the capacity of stock. FI with the 5.0 on short quick drag runs is fine with the stock radiator. If you plan on tracking the car you will want to upgrade the cooling system. I would also recommend the Boss 302 oil cooler. You can get the radiator for $684 at LMR and the oil cooler for $149 most anywhere. You'll be happy you made the investment.

Just remember. A good clutch, upgraded transmission, etc. is no good if you are cooking your motor.

Last edited by 2014GHIGGT; 1/28/16 at 12:45 PM.
Old 1/28/16, 01:07 PM

Invest in the Ford Racing Radiator. Horsepower equals heat. you'll be happy and that radiator has 2.5 times the capacity of stock. FI with the 5.0 on short quick drag runs is fine with the stock radiator. If you plan on tracking the car you will want to upgrade the cooling system. I would also recommend the Boss 302 oil cooler. You can get the radiator for $684 at LMR and the oil cooler for $149 most anywhere. You'll be happy you made the investment.

Just remember. A good clutch, upgraded transmission, etc. is no good if you are cooking your motor.
Absolutely - sound advice, thank you. As I said, I'm ensuring my car is built properly in every way to prevent catastrophic failure. However I'm currently looking at the tranny as the first big move to fit my desired needs. Based on all I've said above, what's your opinion in regards to the tranny? Upgrade my MT82 or replace with the Magnum XL for the best possible longterm reliability?
Old 1/28/16, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Either way you are into it for about the same amount of money if you went with the Magnum XL or if you went with the upgraded MT-82. I would just send the transmission to Ben Calimer and upgrade it though. Level 1 that includes bronze shift pads welded forks billet shift stop smoothed sliders and hubs along with some other secret stuff which is $800 if it is a perfectly working transmission. The level 2 that he does includes all of level 1 plus cryo treatment and rem polishing. It costs 1800 total plus parts. The level 2 has held up well in cars close to 1000 hp. He can do custom work also as in lightening of the gears and shafts for reduced drag and freeing up some horsepower and ceramic bearings. I would end up going with the Level 2 plus a little extra work, carbon fiber driveshaft, Magnum RST, MGW and just go for it. If I were to go with the Magnum XL I would talk to Aaron or Eric over at JPC Racing as they have sold hundreds of them.

http://www.jpcracing.com/tremec-magn...wheel-options/,

As for the matter of overheating I know a thing or two about that considering I have a 2012 Boss. The FRPP Radiator doesn't seem to do much in terms of cooling and people running them are still running into issues as well as certain Fluidyne Radiators, C&R/Shelby Radiators. Thankfully OP has a 2014 which makes the cooling easier as the biggest benefit was airflow getting to the radiator, not so much the radiator itself. That's why on a lot of the Boss 302 race cars when they were running the 2012 bodywork you would see pictures of the stock grill or them running without the grills. In terms of oil cooler's go, if I was looking at a kit I would go with the Cooltech LLC kit although you could price it out yourself for a few hundred less and will run in conjunction with the Factory Boss oil cooler or you could just continue without the Boss oil cooler and piece together your own oil cooler for a few hundred dollars.
Old 1/29/16, 10:38 AM

I would just send the transmission to Ben Calimer and upgrade it though. Level 1 that includes bronze shift pads welded forks billet shift stop smoothed sliders and hubs along with some other secret stuff which is $800 if it is a perfectly working transmission. The level 2 that he does includes all of level 1 plus cryo treatment and rem polishing. It costs 1800 total plus parts. The level 2 has held up well in cars close to 1000 hp. He can do custom work also as in lightening of the gears and shafts for reduced drag and freeing up some horsepower and ceramic bearings.
Never heard of this and other people elsewhere online are saying positive things - thanks, I'll keep it in mind.