Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Procharger for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/16, 12:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Procharger for Daily Driver

Contemplating the idea of adding a procharger stage II to my cyclone. I'm not looking for crazy horsepower...I'd be happy with 400 at the wheels and hopefully around 350 tq.

Does anybody have a procharged cyclone as their daily driver? I drive ~25,000 miles a year...mostly highway. Is there additional maintenance that I need to be aware of? I know the Stage II has an oiler built in.
Old 1/20/16, 01:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I ProCharged my 5.0 back in July and drive about 12-13K miles a year. Only additional maintenance I have now is changing the oil in the supercharger when I change the engine oil every 5-6K miles. I have an i-1 and it has been great so far.

I realize that does not answer your question directly, but maybe it helps a little.
Old 1/20/16, 01:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have a cyclone but I did put a Procharger in my 2005 daily driver about 2008 and I love it! I go to the track 2-3 times a year and have about 59,000 total miles on the car. I have not had any issues or problems running it as my daily driver.
Like SpectreH said, the only additional maintenance I have is changing the oil in it when I change the motor oil.

Last edited by garyb900; 1/20/16 at 02:10 PM.
Old 1/22/16, 05:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GT227
Contemplating the idea of adding a procharger stage II to my cyclone. I'm not looking for crazy horsepower...I'd be happy with 400 at the wheels and hopefully around 350 tq.

Does anybody have a procharged cyclone as their daily driver? I drive ~25,000 miles a year...mostly highway. Is there additional maintenance that I need to be aware of? I know the Stage II has an oiler built in.
Why not just boost with a nitrous set up. Far far far cheaper and better power. Run a 125 shot. Completely safe on factory internals. Nitrous is a torque monster and its instant. For a complete proper set up, you be under 2k. A procharger SC your looking at least 5k!

Why not spray and go?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/22/16 at 05:18 AM.
Old 1/22/16, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
I ProCharged my 5.0 back in July and drive about 12-13K miles a year. Only additional maintenance I have now is changing the oil in the supercharger when I change the engine oil every 5-6K miles. I have an i-1 and it has been great so far.

I realize that does not answer your question directly, but maybe it helps a little.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the i1? Asuming you take it out of competition once in a while, but i probably wouldn't
Old 1/22/16, 08:27 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
Just out of curiosity, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with the i1? Asuming you take it out of competition once in a while, but i probably wouldn't
Mileage is not really different than stock since you really can't keep your foot in it for prolonged periods. If you could, your mileage would plummet.

I programmed in a custom mode that keeps boost low until 2250 RPM, then it comes up very fast. That way at speeds under 80 mph on the interstate, I'm not boosting and cruise mileage is good. It will break the tires loose at that speed though if you want it to.
Old 1/26/16, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a procharger on my Cyclone. I am tuned for 415 rwhp and running at 8lbs. of boost. It is fine for daily driving, as you will really only be in boost on freeway on-ramps or if you want to exceed the posted speed limits. Most of my driving is to and from work and mostly on the freeway as well. I have not seen a noticeable drop in mileage with a properly set up tune. No extra maintenance except a supercharger oil change every 6K miles. Without a remote drain line it is somewhat of a hassle but certainly doable. I am the only procharged V6 in my area so my car is fairly unique in that regard. Be prepared for a lot of positive attention, as peeps will hear you coming with that blower. If you have any further questions, please ask or shoot me a PM. The procharger is the best bang for the buck as far as immediate HP/$ gains.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 1/26/16 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
newtangowerner34 (12/23/17)
Old 1/26/16, 07:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
I have a procharger on my Cyclone. I am tuned for 415 rwhp and running at 8lbs. of boost. It is fine for daily driving, as you will really only be in boost on freeway on-ramps or if you want to exceed the posted speed limits. Most of my driving is to and from work and mostly on the freeway as well. I have not seen a noticeable drop in mileage with a properly set up tune. No extra maintenance except a supercharger oil change every 6K miles. Without a remote drain line it is somewhat of a hassle but certainly doable. I am the only procharged V6 in my area so my car is fairly unique in that regard. Be prepared for a lot of positive attention, as peeps will hear you coming with that blower. If you have any further questions, please ask or shoot me a PM. The procharger is the best bang for the buck as far as immediate HP/$ gains.
Thanks for the helpful info! Assuming an aluminum driveshaft is a must? I may be in touch when I decide to pull the trigger.
Old 1/26/16, 07:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I would definitely upgrade to a one-piece aluminum driveshaft. I went carbon fiber, but that was most likely overkill.
Old 1/27/16, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I would definitely upgrade to a one-piece aluminum driveshaft. I went carbon fiber, but that was most likely overkill.
Thanks for the helpful info! Assuming an aluminum driveshaft is a must? I may be in touch when I decide to pull the trigger.

You are correct and I agree with SpectreH. A one piece driveshaft is a worthy upgrade, as a proper tune will be removing the speed limiter. I went with an aluminum one as I felt that the CF one was overkill.

As far as pulling the trigger on a Procharger, AM offers a 6% forum discount to members. Also I called an alternate vendor and they gave me a better discount over the phone, so you have options. I was able to get polishing and a few extras thrown in for less than the AM price with discount so it helps to call around for the best deal.
Old 1/27/16, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

+1, I would definitely upgrade to a one piece, aluminum driveshaft and a safety loop. (I did)
I also added the remote drain hose to my Procharger. It makes changing the oil much easier.

Last edited by garyb900; 1/27/16 at 04:13 PM.
Old 1/27/16, 08:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by garyb900
+1, I would definitely upgrade to a one piece, aluminum driveshaft and a safety loop. (I did)
I also added the remote drain hose to my Procharger. It makes changing the oil much easier.
The i-1 came with remote drain. I access it by dropping the oil change service panel.
Old 1/28/16, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The i-1 came with remote drain. I access it by dropping the oil change service panel.
Oh, I have a P1-SC
Old 1/30/16, 07:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I have been considering the remote line. Do you have to add extra oil to make up for the extra line or is it not noticeable?

Did you make your own remote line or did you buy the Procharger one?
Old 1/31/16, 07:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have been considering the remote line. Do you have to add extra oil to make up for the extra line or is it not noticeable?

Did you make your own remote line or did you buy the Procharger one?
You do not have to add any extra oil. I purchased the Procharger line but it is just a simple braided steel line with fittings. I'm sure you could make your own but I don't know the fitting sizes or how much it would cost. For me it was easier to just buy theirs. I did not install it myself. A shop did it while I was having other work done.

https://www.google.com/search?q=proc..._AUIBygC&dpr=1
Attached Images  
Old 2/2/16, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

You do not have to add any extra oil. I purchased the Procharger line but it is just a simple braided steel line with fittings. I'm sure you could make your own but I don't know the fitting sizes or how much it would cost. For me it was easier to just buy theirs. I did not install it myself. A shop did it while I was having other work done.

https://www.google.com/search?q=proc..._AUIBygC&dpr=1
Thanks for the info. I will look into this a bit more. Seems worthy to make the oil changes hassle free and not have to shoehorn a cup under the head unit to catch the oil and drain plug.
Old 2/3/16, 04:10 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm just curious as to why Procharger? Usually Paxton and Vortec make better horsepower and are more efficient. Pretty sure the other guys offer intercoolers now also. Just wondering?
Old 2/3/16, 05:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I'm just curious as to why Procharger? Usually Paxton and Vortec make better horsepower and are more efficient. Pretty sure the other guys offer intercoolers now also. Just wondering?
Unfortunately Paxton does not make a SC kit for the 3.7. Currently there are only two SC kits on the market for the cyclone and one of them is the pro charger kit. I believe the second is Vortec.
Old 2/3/16, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Unfortunately Paxton does not make a SC kit for the 3.7. Currently there are only two SC kits on the market for the cyclone and one of them is the pro charger kit. I believe the second is Vortec.
Yes, the Tidalwave SC uses a Vortec. I would have tried that unit but it was released to the public 2 days after I had placed my order for the Procharger. I almost would have preferred the tidalwave kit since it is placed in the same location as the centrifugal SC on a V8, makes the same power as the procharger and does not replace the factory coolant tank. Oh well.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 2/3/16 at 01:31 PM.
Old 2/3/16, 03:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes, the Tidalwave SC uses a Vortec. I would have tried that unit but it was released to the public 2 days after I had placed my order for the Procharger. I almost would have preferred the tidalwave kit since it is placed in the same location as the centrifugal SC on a V8, makes the same power as the procharger and does not replace the factory coolant tank. Oh well.
My understanding the procharger was a better kit!

Quick Reply: Procharger for Daily Driver