2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

MT82 1st gear slipping!!??

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/12, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MT82 1st gear slipping!!??

Hi, this all happened in one day.. please help! I have a 2012 5.0 6MT with Barton shift bracket and Redline MTL

Today on the way to work at 6:50am, everything was fine.

Around 4:30pm on the way home from work I felt the clutch was kind of weird, but I thought it was just me wearing a pair of shoes I haven't really driven with.

Two hours later I go out, again.. wearing same pair of shoes. Then I get gas, and for some reason, as soon as I left the gas station I felt 1st gear just drop on me. Rest of the way I become increasingly worried and started feeling a noticeable difference in clutch feel, mostly in first.

After dinner, on the way home, I feel like it's going to stall every time I start in 1st. It doesn't matter how much I slip the clutch the car just vibrates and drops in RPM. It's clearly having issues hooking up in 1st.

I have no idea what the f is happening and I can't find anything on this. Could it be the gas? I know it sounds absolutely preposterous but I did first REALLY notice it even as I was leaving the gas station. Otherwise... wtf, all in one day? This is a DD that is driven the same soft way everyday with an occasional WOT.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by JimmyM; 7/31/12 at 10:39 PM.
Old 7/31/12, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

take it to your dealer right away, what else can you really do, if you were out of warranty it would be a different story i guess
Old 7/31/12, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS302R
take it to your dealer right away, what else can you really do, if you were out of warranty it would be a different story i guess
OK. Yes, I plan to do that ASAP

Should I worry about the Redline MTL not within Ford "specs" and the aftermarket Barton shift bracket??
Old 8/1/12, 12:13 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Is it slipping out of gear into neutral?
Not sure what is happening here. Clutch shouldn't make a difference what gear it is in. Take off from stop would be a clutch issue. I wouldn't worry about the fluid in the trans or the bracket unless it is inhibiting the shifter from going all the way into first.
Old 8/1/12, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Is it slipping out of gear into neutral?
Not sure what is happening here. Clutch shouldn't make a difference what gear it is in. Take off from stop would be a clutch issue. I wouldn't worry about the fluid in the trans or the bracket unless it is inhibiting the shifter from going all the way into first.
It's not slipping out of gear... rather, it's slipping when trying to engage 1st from a stop. It shudders/vibrates before it finally hooks... driving the same way I've driven the past two years on this and another MT82. Never had this issue.
Old 8/1/12, 12:55 AM

Ok that's more like it. How many miles on it?
The shuttering is usually from hot spots on the flywheel surface. Possibly a burned or glassed over disk. The disk also might have lost some friction material. I'm not sure how long the clutch is covered under factory warranty so mileage might make a difference. The factory clutch is really pretty sorry if really drive it like a sports car. If you are passed the warranty period for the clutch then I would look towards a clutch upgrade possibly. If its still covered, let the dealer take care of it.
Old 8/1/12, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
OK. Yes, I plan to do that ASAP

Should I worry about the Redline MTL not within Ford "specs" and the aftermarket Barton shift bracket??
I would be worried about this. It's a very easy way for them to deny you warrenty as they can say both these things are the cause.

If you can I would swap them back to stock before taking it in.
Old 8/1/12, 06:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
You didn't mention other gears but a slipping clutch will slip worse in each higher gear. If you can run it up in 2nd or 3rd without slipping, its not a worn clutch disk. When a clutch wears out, it usually will start slipping even at low RPMS on the highway when you give it gas long before you notice a problem in first gear.
Old 8/1/12, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

maybe drain redline and put in the oem fluid see if it improves things at all, if it doesn't, then take it in.

i did talk to a dealer before about swapping fluids and they said it could or could not void the warranty, so i never went with a different fluid to avoid any future headaches with the warranty
Old 8/1/12, 11:17 PM

Not gonna be fluid. Once it's in first gear, it's gear to gear. Nothing to slip in the trans. You gotta clutch issue.
Old 8/2/12, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Do you smell anything after it slips ?
Old 8/2/12, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This engine has a lot of torque, so try starting in 2nd gear instead of first. If the car runs normally, starting from 2nd, then you may have a transmission problem.

Keep us posted.
Old 8/2/12, 08:08 PM

Hi,

So today, everything went back to normal. No more gear chattering in 1st, nada.

I did go into the dealership during my lunch hour, where they wanted me to leave my car overnight and I refused. Originally, it was so bad that a drive by any technician would have been enough to get started. By today, the issue disappeared so completely there was no reason for them to drive my car.

Very strange. The tech I spoke to did recommend taking out the Barton shift bracket and Redline MTL, which I will do before dropping my car off next week