2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MPG in new 2014 GT 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/14, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3:55 gears, have around 5k miles on the clock and I average around 17-18 mpg. I usually drive it like I stole it and every once in a while common sense kicks in and I cruise normally. Best I have seen is 23 mpg around 70mph on a 200 mile trip. It helps to shift below 2k.
Old 2/28/14, 07:46 AM
GTR Member

Best mileage I could get with my 3.73 Brembo car was 26.2(calculated) on a highway only trip with the cruise set on 67. Would have been a little better if I ran a little slower, but it at least bettered the epa rating.

And my mileage has never gone below 17.
Old 2/28/14, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was up to 23 on the trip home yesterday on a tank of regular unleaded. But then I had to run meet the wife and kids in town for dinner and on the way home, had to show my tailights to a Charger that left lane blocked me for like 3-4 miles. MPG dropped to 20.6...
Old 2/28/14, 08:16 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bkrell
I was up to 23 on the trip home yesterday on a tank of regular unleaded. But then I had to run meet the wife and kids in town for dinner and on the way home, had to show my tailights to a Charger that left lane blocked me for like 3-4 miles. MPG dropped to 20.6...
You run regular grade gas in your GT?

Shame on you!

In addition to more power, premium gas will get you a little better mileage, at least in your GT.
Old 2/28/14, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
My 2014 V6 automatic averaged 30.33 on a trip from Western Washington to near Dallas and back. It is well broken in. Must be the 3.73 rear end. Mine has the stock 2.73.
Old 2/28/14, 08:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Shame on you!

In addition to more power, premium gas will get you a little better mileage, at least in your GT.
Lol, I know, I tried it b/c I wanted to see if it made any difference mpg-wise. Trust me, I've been paying homage to the premium gas gods since about 2003.
Old 2/28/14, 09:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've been averaging 20-21 mpg in my '13 track pack gt with about 8,000 miles on it during my 30 mile daily commute. About a 1/3 of that is slow traffic, 1/3 45 mph city traffic and a 1/3 55-60 mph with cruise control set. That's about the same mpg I got in my old '97 gt so I'm more than happy with it. Of course that number may go down some when I eventually get a new axle back exhaust for it.
Old 3/1/14, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
wow, a LOT of people responded to this! Almost to the point where my response will likely get lost in the shuffle hahah

But anyway, do not fret! Its all about your driving habits! I have a 2013 GT (albeit with 3.31's) and can get up to 34mpg average when driving up I65 to Indianapolis (I have proof with pictures!!). Now, you're not going to like what I have to say, but to achieve those results (which may be 1-3 mpg less with 3.73's), you must first: keep the RPM under 2k. This means traveling no faster than 65mph (mpg REALLY starts to nose dive over 60mph in these cars). This may **** off a lot of people, but just stay in the right lane. Second: you MUST use cruise control. It maintains a steadier RPM and makes better use of EGR. Third: do not shift past 2k rpm and use 25% throttle. I find the real big mpg numbers can be achieved at 45-55 mph in 6th with cruise control.

Now I know a lot of people will b--ch and say that this is pathetic, and "its a mustang" and such...but honestly, how much of a thrill are you going to get driving the car on the highway to work anyway?? The real fun is launching it around town at stoplights on the weekend. I've also noticed that despite accelerating slow and driving under the speed limit, I still get to places in nearly the same time, maybe a few minutes later (except for really long road trips of course). Its funny pulling up next to someone at work 10 seconds later after they aggressively flew past me on the highway. By the time you hit stoplights off the interstate, I've caught up, and got better mpg along the way!!

Just drive the car easy when commuting and save the fun for weekends or when you feel like it
Old 3/1/14, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Shame on you!

How much does the HP drop on regular...found out the dealer filled my new one up with regular not premium...so once it comes out of storage gonna have to drive it alot to get the regular out of the tank!!!!
Old 3/1/14, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I average about 17 mpg (13 GT MT). I mainly drive street though.
Old 3/1/14, 11:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
wow, a LOT of people responded to this! Almost to the point where my response will likely get lost in the shuffle hahah

But anyway, do not fret! Its all about your driving habits! I have a 2013 GT (albeit with 3.31's) and can get up to 34mpg average when driving up I65 to Indianapolis (I have proof with pictures!!). Now, you're not going to like what I have to say, but to achieve those results (which may be 1-3 mpg less with 3.73's), you must first: keep the RPM under 2k. This means traveling no faster than 65mph (mpg REALLY starts to nose dive over 60mph in these cars). This may **** off a lot of people, but just stay in the right lane. Second: you MUST use cruise control. It maintains a steadier RPM and makes better use of EGR. Third: do not shift past 2k rpm and use 25% throttle. I find the real big mpg numbers can be achieved at 45-55 mph in 6th with cruise control.

Now I know a lot of people will b--ch and say that this is pathetic, and "its a mustang" and such...but honestly, how much of a thrill are you going to get driving the car on the highway to work anyway?? The real fun is launching it around town at stoplights on the weekend. I've also noticed that despite accelerating slow and driving under the speed limit, I still get to places in nearly the same time, maybe a few minutes later (except for really long road trips of course). Its funny pulling up next to someone at work 10 seconds later after they aggressively flew past me on the highway. By the time you hit stoplights off the interstate, I've caught up, and got better mpg along the way!!

Just drive the car easy when commuting and save the fun for weekends or when you feel like it

You're preaching to the choir. I go slow when I can. My only problem is the limit on the Texas portion of I-20 that I drive every day got bumped up to 75 back in 2012. It was just a couple of weeks after I bought my Si. My mpg went from 40 to 35. At 75, that thing was tach-ing at least 3k rpms in 6th. I can conceivable drop into the 70 range but I'd get slaughtered if I dropped below that. But I do see and appreciate your point.

JC Stang, from everything I've read, the drop in hp isn't huge. It's obviously going to be there but it's not going to turn the car into a Pinto.
Old 3/1/14, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
You're preaching to the choir. I go slow when I can. My only problem is the limit on the Texas portion of I-20 that I drive every day got bumped up to 75 back in 2012. It was just a couple of weeks after I bought my Si. My mpg went from 40 to 35. At 75, that thing was tach-ing at least 3k rpms in 6th. I can conceivable drop into the 70 range but I'd get slaughtered if I dropped below that. But I do see and appreciate your point.

JC Stang, from everything I've read, the drop in hp isn't huge. It's obviously going to be there but it's not going to turn the car into a Pinto.
Texas?! Good luck going anything below 70. Heck, the cops might even stop you for impeding traffic.

The gearing is going to make it really difficult to get anything at or above 20mpg. It makes a difference, because before I changed some things on my '13, it got close to 23mpg on the highway if I took extra care to watch my rpms and it's a Shelby--but with 3.31 final drive. I don't know if it would be enough fun to drive a 5.0 with 3.31 gears, and I don't know that the benefit (saving $ on gas) would outweigh the cost for years. If you really want to improve your mpg, best advice is to find an 18-wheeler and draft.
Old 3/1/14, 12:35 PM
GT Member

Lol, yeah I live in Shreveport and drive over into Texas every morning. I'm there early enough that 75 still means 75, as opposed to later in the day when 75 means 82 to people.

It's really not important enough to me to do anything drastic. It'd be nice if the tank was a little bigger but otherwise...meh whatever. And I go thru windshields so fast that I stay far away from 18 wheelers, lol. Seriously, TXDOT's paving jobs lately leave something to be desired and I've gone thru a condenser and 3 windshields since 2009.
Old 3/1/14, 12:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by JCStang
How much does the HP drop on regular...found out the dealer filled my new one up with regular not premium...so once it comes out of storage gonna have to drive it alot to get the regular out of the tank!!!!
It's about 8-10 HP.

Yeah, when I picked my car up at the dealer I had to wait for them to go fill the tank so I asked about what they filled it with and my salesperson told me she always filled the Mustangs with shell 93.
Old 3/1/14, 01:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Texas?! Good luck going anything below 70. Heck, the cops might even stop you for impeding traffic.

The gearing is going to make it really difficult to get anything at or above 20mpg. It makes a difference, because before I changed some things on my '13, it got close to 23mpg on the highway if I took extra care to watch my rpms and it's a Shelby--but with 3.31 final drive. I don't know if it would be enough fun to drive a 5.0 with 3.31 gears, and I don't know that the benefit (saving $ on gas) would outweigh the cost for years. If you really want to improve your mpg, best advice is to find an 18-wheeler and draft.
Lol, yeah I live in Shreveport and drive over into Texas every morning. I'm there early enough that 75 still means 75, as opposed to later in the day when 75 means 82 to people.

It's really not important enough to me to do anything drastic. It'd be nice if the tank was a little bigger but otherwise...meh whatever. And I go thru windshields so fast that I stay far away from 18 wheelers, lol. Seriously, TXDOT's paving jobs lately leave something to be desired and I've gone thru a condenser and 3 windshields since 2009.
I never let the other traffic bother me, Texas or anywhere. If I am after better fuel economy I drive as slow as I want and laugh at the people looking at me funny.

And I almost always drive 65 in my F250 when I'm working, so I run about 2500 miles a week doing 65 in the 70 and 75 mph zones.

You can't let other drivers intimidate you. Pi$$ on them if they don't like it!
Old 3/1/14, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention this, surprisingly, but what are your tire pressures set at? You can add 2-5psi for better mileage, but your ride will be a little rougher. I do this ok both my cars, but are recommended 30psi, I run 35 in each. Helps the mpgs go up 2-3 or so.
Old 3/1/14, 06:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I didn't see anyone mention this, surprisingly, but what are your tire pressures set at? You can add 2-5psi for better mileage, but your ride will be a little rougher. I do this ok both my cars, but are recommended 30psi, I run 35 in each. Helps the mpgs go up 2-3 or so.
Believe it or not, they were all filled to 37 psi at the dealer.
Old 3/1/14, 06:49 PM
GT Member

I never let the other traffic bother me, Texas or anywhere. If I am after better fuel economy I drive as slow as I want and laugh at the people looking at me funny.

And I almost always drive 65 in my F250 when I'm working, so I run about 2500 miles a week doing 65 in the 70 and 75 mph zones.

You can't let other drivers intimidate you. Pi$$ on them if they don't like it!
Eh, like I said, I'm not hugely concerned. Time is money, too. I already wake up at 3:45 every morning in order to get a run in before work.
Old 3/1/14, 07:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Believe it or not, they were all filled to 37 psi at the dealer.
Interesting. Well, at least others are reminded to check!
Old 3/1/14, 10:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe my Shelby wasn't as bad on gas as I thought. Good thing it was so much fun to drive and the mileage didn't matter.

This F150 with the Ecoboost on the other hand... gets horrible mileage ad no where near the window sticker stated value no matter how conservative you drive.

Quick Reply: MPG in new 2014 GT 6MT