2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mix/match LTH + X Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/16, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mix/match LTH + X Pipe?

Hello all - I'm looking to do the next big performance/sound upgrade - Long tubes. I currently have the Pypes offroad X Pipe that steps down from 3" to 2.75" to match the OTA pipes. I'm pretty much set on the ceramic JBA 1 7/8" LTH (desire the wider heads because I will be going Supercharger in the near future). My question is - would my shop be able to cut my current x pipe in order to allow the LTH's to fit? Or would that lead to fitment/leak issues?

Would I be better off purchasing the JBA shorty x pipe ? My only issue with this is....it doesn't step down to 2.75"...so I'd need to buy 3" OTA pipes as well...and IF I decided to go this route - would my Corsa quad sport axleback fit right up (AM states it's 3", just want to make sure the OEM OTA pipes are 2.75" and step up to 3")...someone please help me regain my sanity!
Old 2/11/16, 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I would buy the jba x pipe that goes with those headers and you should be able to bolt up your stock cat back exhaust to that. I wouldn't want to weld the exhaust together if I had a choice
Old 2/11/16, 08:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If i were you i would stay away from JBA stuff.

I had nothing but fitment issues with their cat-delete/H pipe.
Old 2/11/16, 09:42 PM

I would buy the jba x pipe that goes with those headers and you should be able to bolt up your stock cat back exhaust to that.
It says on AM that the x pipe is 3" from end to end, so it wont fit with my 2.75" OEM OTA's.

That may be the case, but I'm reading on AM that the fitment is average 4/5. If anything, it has to be better fitment than my bottom of the barrel quality Pypes offroad X. Besides the 4/5 fitment, I really have yet to come across a con, especially when compared to the Stainless works or kooks 1 7/8" ceramic headers (nearly twice as much).
Old 2/12/16, 12:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Kooks and stainless works are double the price because of the quality. But hey do what you want, im just giving you fair warning. JBA is cheap for a reason. POOR quality.
Old 2/14/16, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
The BBK stuff I have worked out great and bolted to my stock cat back pipes... if I remember correctly. May be a different story on your car. How much do you think the reduction in pipe size will hurt your gains?

Last edited by Glenn; 2/14/16 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2/15/16, 08:21 AM

The BBK stuff I have worked out great and bolted to my stock cat back pipes... if I remember correctly. May be a different story on your car. How much do you think the reduction in pipe size will hurt your gains?
After calling AM with my questions, chatting with my local exhaust guy, and doing some more research, I believe I'm just going to go with the BBK ceramic 1 3/4" LTH/X pipe. This midpipe in particular steps down to 2.75", so it will bolt up to my factory OTA pipes (just as yours did; the JBA doesn't step down to 2.75").

From my research, 1 7/8" headers and full 3" exhaust really aren't beneficial unless you're pushing an average of 900+whp....which this car will never even come close to seeing.
Old 2/16/16, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
You're correct about 3" exhaust. No one needs it unless the engine is significantly modified and the blower is pushing 18-20+ psi. I'm at 720rwhp and the AR long tube headers at 2 7/8 do the job.
Old 2/16/16, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if you find a decent shop, they should be able to prefab your existing exhaust to work with your bolt-ons.

I have a mid-muffler setup going from stock to 2.5" piping and there was no welding required. just cutting.

what you're doing sounds good, goodluck!
Old 2/17/16, 09:25 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer

Originally Posted by rmurer
Kooks and stainless works are double the price because of the quality. But hey do what you want, im just giving you fair warning. JBA is cheap for a reason. POOR quality.
Couldn't agree with you more. Based on my research, and discussions with several performance shops, both locally and elsewhere, Kooks is heads above JBA. JBA is one of the bottoms.

That being said, that's why I'm going all Kooks this spring/summer.
Old 2/17/16, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Couldn't agree with you more. Based on my research, and discussions with several performance shops, both locally and elsewhere, Kooks is heads above JBA. JBA is one of the bottoms.

That being said, that's why I'm going all Kooks this spring/summer.
Aside from fitment issues, what else is wrong with JBA? I'm about to have a set of their ceramic long tubes and catted H pipe installed, now I'm curious what I'm in for
Old 2/18/16, 07:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
Aside from fitment issues, what else is wrong with JBA? I'm about to have a set of their ceramic long tubes and catted H pipe installed, now I'm curious what I'm in for
Where do I begin?

Flimsy build quality...
cheap gaskets...
obviously fitment issues...
bad welds... and also LACK of specific welds around certain flanges...
all that leads to: you guessed it, leakage all around.

And to top it off? JBA customer service is terrible... might as well have bought something from AM.

Any of those products will never touch my car/s.

Just search "JBA issues/problems" on google. Research is your friend, friend.
Old 2/18/16, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Where do I begin?

Flimsy build quality...
cheap gaskets...
obviously fitment issues...
bad welds... and also LACK of specific welds around certain flanges...
all that leads to: you guessed it, leakage all around.

And to top it off? JBA customer service is terrible... might as well have bought something from AM.

Any of those products will never touch my car/s.

Just search "JBA issues/problems" on google. Research is your friend, friend.

Sorry friend, I've been nose deep in cams, springs, and phasers for the last several weeks. Can't say I've ever heard of these rampant issues w/ JBA and was surprised. Just a simple question.

Edit: Besides, I'm a little wary of quick Google searches. People are a lot more likely to post negative reviews than positive ones, and it might not be totally representative. That's part of why I asked -- I like to talk to people who have 1st hand experience with the product in the event it really is a case of the only time you hear about it is when its bad.

Last edited by Cavero; 2/18/16 at 08:01 PM.