2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

May 2011 Mustang Sales Figure

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/11, 05:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did a drive by today to the local dealers here in Southcentral PA. 1 Chevy dealer had 10-11 new Camaros (including convertibles). The 3 Ford dealers had a total of 7 new Mustangs (only 1 V8 and no convertibles). Hard to outsell when you don't have the stock on hand to do so.
Old 6/6/11, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have been to many Ford dealers as I like to see what they have in inventory. I think alot of the low sales figures have to do with the fact there are barely any 2012 Mustangs on dealer lots. This has been this way since April. I don't know if they are trying to fix the transmission issue or what and the dealer lots have been vacant except for GT500's. I think the low sales are more due to the fact there is a plug somewhere in manufacturing. I don't know if it is to fix the transmission issue or what but this is surprising due to the fact summer is the time to sell mustangs.

Last edited by 94gt; 6/6/11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 6/6/11, 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
The "diaper" aside, the 2010+ Mustangs are so much more superior than their 2005-2009 counterparts in every conceivable way -- from aesthetics (again, rear end aside) to drivetrain, handling, refinement, etc. I won't even get into the interior...

Its sales have been dropping since 2007 and, IMO, the 2010 refresh just wasn't enough to "light the fire" in the same fashion the 2005 Mustang did when it was devoid of any real, direct competition.
So even though, in your opinion, the 2010+ mustang is superior to the 05-09 that still doesn't seem to be enough to increase of even maintain sales. Your post doesn't make sense due to your overwhelming bias against the 05-09's.
Old 6/6/11, 11:36 AM
Cobra R Member

There are many, many factors affecting the sales of Mustangs. It's just not ONE thing.

The Camaro is still the new kid on the block. There are lots of Chevy lovers and Camaro lovers out there. I know several "older" guys in their 60's who have bought a Camaro. The return of that car resonated as loudly for them as the return of the Mustang did for many of us. These buyers might not really impact Mustang sales because they most likely would not buy a Mustang even if there was no Camaro.

There is DEFINITELY some sort of supply shortage of Mustangs and it's been like that for over a year. In my area of Southwestern Ontario, Canada it's almost impossible to find a 5.0. There are very few on the streets, almost none on dealer lots and the dealers have almost no allotment. How frustrating must it be to try and order a car and be told they can't order you one?
Easy to see these buyers heading over to Chevy or Dodge for their muscle car purchase.

The poor economy, high gas prices, job losses, etc. all will take their toll on these limited market vehicles.

Personally I don't care if there are more Camaro's out there than Mustangs. I drive the car I want to drive. Besides, the more Camaro's out there the easier the pickings are at the stoplight.
Old 6/6/11, 04:47 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Whammer
So even though, in your opinion, the 2010+ mustang is superior to the 05-09 that still doesn't seem to be enough to increase of even maintain sales. Your post doesn't make sense due to your overwhelming bias against the 05-09's.
What doesn't make sense? You think the drop in Mustang sales can be attributed to what..? Because it's ugly? To reiterate, if that were the case, and people were buying purely on aesthetic, the Challenger would be selling much better than it has. To that end, if people wanted the better performer of the group, the Mustang would be sales king (you don't see Motor Trend pitting Camaros and Challengers up against the BMW M3). Based on what I've just said, the only reason, in my opinion, the Camaro is sales king for now is because it's the "it" car -- the vehicle to have. Of course, this is speculation on top of opinion, but I don't see what's so tough to follow.

Oh, and I base my "the 2011 is superior in every regard" comment having owned and daily driven a 2007 Mustang GT for four years. If my honest opinion constitutes "bias," so be it.

Last edited by MARZ; 6/6/11 at 04:49 PM.
Old 6/6/11, 04:48 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Whammer
There are many, many factors affecting the sales of Mustangs. It's just not ONE thing.

The Camaro is still the new kid on the block. There are lots of Chevy lovers and Camaro lovers out there. I know several "older" guys in their 60's who have bought a Camaro. The return of that car resonated as loudly for them as the return of the Mustang did for many of us. These buyers might not really impact Mustang sales because they most likely would not buy a Mustang even if there was no Camaro.

There is DEFINITELY some sort of supply shortage of Mustangs and it's been like that for over a year. In my area of Southwestern Ontario, Canada it's almost impossible to find a 5.0. There are very few on the streets, almost none on dealer lots and the dealers have almost no allotment. How frustrating must it be to try and order a car and be told they can't order you one?
Easy to see these buyers heading over to Chevy or Dodge for their muscle car purchase.

The poor economy, high gas prices, job losses, etc. all will take their toll on these limited market vehicles.

Personally I don't care if there are more Camaro's out there than Mustangs. I drive the car I want to drive. Besides, the more Camaro's out there the easier the pickings are at the stoplight.
...and you follow up with perhaps the best post in the entire thread! I couldn't have summed it up better myself!
Old 6/6/11, 05:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Pure & simple, the 2010 Mustang refresh wasn't enough to overcome the "return of the mighty Camaro", especially when the Camaro had Megan Fox, while the GT500 had Will Smith and a bunch of screaming mutants.
Old 6/6/11, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Why is no one looking at the fact there are no 2012 mustangs on dealer lots?! I have been on lots that have easily well over 10 mustangs in June of a given year and right now have 0. There has too be a hold on production due to the tranny issue or something. Summer is the times to sell these cars so they clearly must be at the factory on hold up.
Old 6/6/11, 05:03 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Pure & simple, the 2010 Mustang refresh wasn't enough to overcome the "return of the mighty Camaro", especially when the Camaro had Megan Fox, while the GT500 had Will Smith and a bunch of screaming mutants.
Hahahahahaha!
Old 6/6/11, 05:04 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 94gt
Why is no one looking at the fact there are no 2012 mustangs on dealer lots?! I have been on lots that have easily well over 10 mustangs in June of a given year and right now have 0. There has too be a hold on production due to the tranny issue or something. Summer is the times to sell these cars so they clearly must be at the factory on hold up.
Good point. There are virtually no Mustangs on dealership lots around where I live.
Old 6/6/11, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 94gt
Dude, the same problem was there with the 2011's. Ford does not seem concerned.
Old 6/6/11, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Just a thought, maybe Ford is limiting production so there isn't a surplus of ponies around. This way they sell everything they manufacture. Also, 2014 when the 50th comes out, more people will buy if they haven't been able to get 1 and there are not tons of them on the street
Old 6/6/11, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Just a thought, maybe Ford is limiting production so there isn't a surplus of ponies around. This way they sell everything they manufacture. Also, 2014 when the 50th comes out, more people will buy if they haven't been able to get 1 and there are not tons of them on the street
Another side benefit is protection of resale value to those of us lucky enough to have already bought a 5.0. Short supply of new cars = enhanced value of the used ones.
Old 6/6/11, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the local lots has 25 of them. But I've been watching two of them since Feb and they are still there. Other than that it's pretty sparse at 9,8 and 1. The lot that has 1 has a 2011 PP V6 Premium in Yellow Blaze. I test drove that car about 5 weeks ago. Nice car and priced right for someone at 24k!
Old 6/6/11, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

The dealer that I bought my Boss at has only had 2 since December. Said he can't get stangs
Old 6/6/11, 07:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by falhulk
Dude, the same problem was there with the 2011's. Ford does not seem concerned.
No it wasn't at all! Dealers had 2011's all over the lots in the summer of 2010. Of the 3 major dealerships near me none have a 2012 mustang. There are 3 GT500's though and a Boss 302, but not one 5.0 or V-6. V-6's and 5.0 are needed on dealer lots as they far outsell Shelby's and Bosses for sales numbers.

Last edited by 94gt; 6/6/11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 6/6/11, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did my part, purchased a base 2011 V6 in May. Love the car so far, is different than my 2008 GT, which I still have. I like both, other than the V8 vs V6, which is no comparison, both cars have their strengths. But owning both, I must say the 2008 rear is far more attactive (in my opinion)
Old 6/6/11, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but still for the month of May....

Ford Motor Company: Down 0.1%, 192,102 units sold
General Motors: Down 1.2%, 221,192 Units Sold

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...11/Jun/gmsales
Old 6/6/11, 08:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I think the return of the 5.0 was really only big news to Mustang lovers. It would seem Joe and Jill Average could care less about it.

I still would like to know why there has been such a shortage of Mustangs for over a year? It's puzzling to me that Ford wouldn't want to get more cars on dealer lots. Is it a parts shortage? A production problem? A quality concern?

Last edited by Whammer; 6/6/11 at 09:02 PM.
Old 6/6/11, 09:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
What doesn't make sense? You think the drop in Mustang sales can be attributed to what..? Because it's ugly? To reiterate, if that were the case, and people were buying purely on aesthetic, the Challenger would be selling much better than it has. To that end, if people wanted the better performer of the group, the Mustang would be sales king (you don't see Motor Trend pitting Camaros and Challengers up against the BMW M3). Based on what I've just said, the only reason, in my opinion, the Camaro is sales king for now is because it's the "it" car -- the vehicle to have. Of course, this is speculation on top of opinion, but I don't see what's so tough to follow.

Oh, and I base my "the 2011 is superior in every regard" comment having owned and daily driven a 2007 Mustang GT for four years. If my honest opinion constitutes "bias," so be it.
I think the drop in sales is basically based upon the car isn't "new" anymore. Also the economy started to tank around the time that Mustang sales slipped.
My point to you was- the SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY 2010+ Mustang had almost ZERO impact on Mustang sales. So obviously buyers don't really care.

Personally I think the 05-09's were just about perfect. I like the looks better and I even like the interior looks better. Had the 2010's come out as the 05 model I certainly would've bought one back then.
05 is more 67-68 style. And the 2010 is more 69-70 styled.
I'm a bigger fan of the 67-68 style and that probably influences my preference.

Quick Reply: May 2011 Mustang Sales Figure