2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

May 2011 Mustang Sales Figure

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/11, 12:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selfishly speaking, I love to see low Challenger sales, which keeps its status as a semi-exotic, or an overpriced, overweight, poorly marketed, also ran, depending on one's point of view. Although the Mustang is superior in most respects, the Challenger is perhaps the best looking car on the road, regardless of price, although the Mustang is quite handsome too. I'm not sold on the Camaro's looks, though, as I find it a horrid blend of the future and the past with a horrid interior and awful visibility, even though I've owned more GM cars than any other brand.

Since I'll be getting a Mustang soon too, I can't say I mind the low sales either, as I don't like driving a car that everyone and his brother has. I haven't seen many 2010+ Mustangs on the road, although I do see a ton of 2005-9s on the road. I would attribute recent low Mustang sales to both the economy, gas prices, and that most people can't tell the difference between it and the 2005-9. As for the Camaro, I see a lot of them, mostly V6s driven by women and d-bags. I think that's due to a lot of pent-up demand and that many think they look cool.

Last edited by justindo; 6/10/11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 6/2/11, 01:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When I drive thru small towns, I see Chevy dealers with 3 to 4 2011 Camaros on their lot. When the previous generation Camaro was produced those same Chevy dealers had only one or none on their lot.
When I go by a Ford dealer, I see none on the small dealer lots and I only see about 3 Mustangs that were already on the lot last year at the larger dealers.
It appears to me that General Motors is trying to get all Chevy dealers to order as many Camaros they can to demonstrate the success of the General Motors design and engineering team. Gm places pace cars at as many race tracks as they can to excite buyers. They may not advertise the Camaro much, but they sure show it off to the buying public

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 6/2/11 at 01:35 AM.
Old 6/2/11, 06:05 AM

I bought 2 new Mustangs in May. Really love both of them, could not be happier! Unless they had come with free superchargers that is!
Robert
Old 6/2/11, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
You must not read many of my (or numerous other people's) posts that are critical of Ford (not you) for their awful design with lines going up, sideways, down, diagonal, all at once.

And here you are - a previous Mustang owner buying a newer one. What does the new buyer think???

Believe what you want but how do you explain the Camaro logging regular sales gains - even in this economy - and the Mustang flatlining/declining?? The Mustang is a better vehicle than Camaro but it's sales are failing - by a WIDE margin. And for many months now...

How do you explain that??
I really didn't jump back to Mustang forums until I actually made a decision on the car. To be honest, the new Camaro was also on my radar prior to 2011. I was commuting 90 miles per day and the 300+HP 30MPG V6 was very enticing.

Then I drove one and I'm sure that the point has been made many times but the visibility was so bad that I was literally afraid to change lanes in that car. It was terrible. That issue alone dropped it completely from my list.

Then came the 2011 Mustang engine changes and I fell back in love. I was looking all V6 but my job situation changed. My commute is not 8 miles round trip for work so the V8 became a viable option (and boy what an option)!

I may have been a previous owner but it wasn't a forgone conclusion that I was going to own another Mustang -- the Lexus IS350 and Acura TL were also on the table but quickly were afterthoughts once the '11 Mustang details came out.

I have no explanation on the sales figures. I can't even begin to comprehend how they are compiled or why anyone would buy a new Camaro after they drove it unless they were just previous Camaro owners that were loyal to the car. I really do think it's that bad.
Old 6/2/11, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by c0achmke
Don't hate on the south. How many Jersey Shore Guidos buy camaros and had IROCs back in the 80s?
Yo... you talkn ta me .
Old 6/2/11, 12:45 PM
V6 Member

Quote:
Then I drove one and I'm sure that the point has been made many times but the visibility was so bad that I was literally afraid to change lanes in that car. It was terrible. That issue alone dropped it completely from my list.

Ha! You guys are wussies (kidding...don't get all defensive!). The Camaro's visibility is just fine. Try some of my prior rides...'71 Mustang Fastback, '72 Corvette, '74 Pantera...now THOSE cars were scary!

Seriously though, the sales figures are troublesome. The excuses are starting to wear thin. When the Camaro was introduced, everyone said it outsold the Mustang because of all the pent-up demand. Then when the '10's weren't selling it was because everyone was waiting for the '11's with the new 5.0 and 3.7 engines. Personally, I think the cars have just become too expensive (unless you order a stripped base model like I did). Everyone seems to want all the latest gizmos, 500 HP engines, 40 MPG mileage, an interior like a Bentley, handling like a BMW M3, etc., etc., and want to pay $30K for the car. It's hard to believe that a highly-optioned GT runs north of $40K...certainly not the "bang-for-the-buck" machines that made them so popular back in the day. I hope the redesign in 2014-2015 goes back to more of a "smaller, lighter, faster, cheaper" philosophy which will attract new and younger buyers (and no, my underwear won't get all tied up in knots like some posters if that means turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines either).
Old 6/2/11, 01:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dnr427
Seriously though, the sales figures are troublesome. The excuses are starting to wear thin. When the Camaro was introduced, everyone said it outsold the Mustang because of all the pent-up demand. Then when the '10's weren't selling it was because everyone was waiting for the '11's with the new 5.0 and 3.7 engines. Personally, I think the cars have just become too expensive (unless you order a stripped base model like I did). Everyone seems to want all the latest gizmos, 500 HP engines, 40 MPG mileage, an interior like a Bentley, handling like a BMW M3, etc., etc., and want to pay $30K for the car. It's hard to believe that a highly-optioned GT runs north of $40K...certainly not the "bang-for-the-buck" machines that made them so popular back in the day. I hope the redesign in 2014-2015 goes back to more of a "smaller, lighter, faster, cheaper" philosophy which will attract new and younger buyers (and no, my underwear won't get all tied up in knots like some posters if that means turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines either).
Simple, camaro turns heads. Mustang like previously said before is kind of invisible on the road in comparison because the body style has been around for for 6 years now with only a light refresh.

I see tons of camaros on the road, I probably see 10 a week driving around town. I've seen 4... yes 4 - 2011 5.0's since I got mine (October last year). Yeah.. it's arguably the better car, I'd be willing to bet the majority of camaro buyers buy it based on looks and the 'gotta have it' factor, and not scrutinize the details of performance (when in actuality they are very close performance-wise). I'm actually glad I drive such a rare car in my area. I love the comments people make when the see the badge.

I feel $.02 lighter.
Old 6/2/11, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer Incentives (the cars will be worth crap in 2-3 years) and America's fascination with celebrities...look at all the (in)famous tools driving Camaros...LeBron James, Brad Pitt, Sylvester Stallone, Jeremy Piven, Davis Beckham, etc...all Camaro drivers are "me too" type personalities...anyone who knows design and ergonomics would never drive a Camaro. The Mustang is by far the most liveable of the Detroit 3. Enjoy the car, the history and the future of this American Icon of nearly 50 years (non-stop)...Yeah the 45th Anniversay of Camaro is this year but subtract 7 years from that (2002-2009) in which Chevy said they could do with just the Monte Carlo SS!
Old 6/2/11, 02:09 PM
V6 Member

So why is the Camaro in the rolex GT class and not the mustang GT or Boss

Why did ford not support this series but did support the lower series

Could that drive sales
Old 6/2/11, 02:26 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Wpasko
So why is the Camaro in the rolex GT class and not the mustang GT or Boss

Why did ford not support this series but did support the lower series

Could that drive sales
I'd say 90% of shoppers that would consider a Mustang or Camaro have no idea what the Rolex GT class is, or even the series for that matter. So, no, I would doubt that it would have any impact at all.
Old 6/2/11, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

If Ford is making money on the Mustang, then I welcome the low sales figure. The Camaro guys can no longer be critical about all the Mustangs that are on the road. In the small town that I live in (population 16K), new Camaros are everywhere. Heck, I have more admiration for the guy who is driving a late 80s IROC Z than I do for this latest creation from Chevy.

I've had my 11 since Aug 2010 and it’s a rare sight to see a fellow 2011 Mustang GT. As far as turning heads, my car has no problem in that department...even before I did my exterior mods. Plus, it helps if you have a pair of GT500 mufflers that announces it presence.

Btw, Can anybody answer the question on whether Ford is making money on the Mustang?
Old 6/2/11, 03:03 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Lou_n_Ada
If Ford is making money on the Mustang, then I welcome the low sales figure. The Camaro guys can no longer be critical about all the Mustangs that are on the road. In the small town that I live in (population 16K), new Camaros are everywhere. Heck, I have more admiration for the guy who is driving a late 80s IROC Z than I do for this latest creation from Chevy.

I've had my 11 since Aug 2010 and it’s a rare sight to see a fellow 2011 Mustang GT. As far as turning heads, my car has no problem in that department...even before I did my exterior mods. Plus, it helps if you have a pair of GT500 mufflers that announces it presence.

Btw, Can anybody answer the question on whether Ford is making money on the Mustang?
They are obviously making money with the big profits they've been reporting, but that would be an interesting breakdown to see by various models. I know in the past trucks and SUV's were big the money makers, and I'd say the F-150 still is the bread and butter, and small cars generally had lower margins.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 6/2/11 at 03:05 PM.
Old 6/2/11, 03:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
They are obviously making money with the big profits they've been reporting, but that would be an interesting breakdown to see by various models. I know in the past trucks and SUV's were big the money makers, and I'd say the F-150 still is the bread and butter, and small cars generally had lower margins.
Looks like that mix is changing.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Ford Motor Co.said Wednesday U.S. May sales were virtually flat, declining 0.1% to 192,102 vehicles, compared with 192,253 in the year-ago period. Sales of the Focus rose 31.7% to 22,303 vehicles, while Mustang sales declined 35.4% to 6,607 vehicles. Sales of Ford's best-selling F-Series trucks declined 15% to 42,399 vehicles. Sales of the Escape rose 20.5% to 23,140 units, and Explorer sales more than doubled to 13,318 vehicles
Somewhat related:

U.S. consumers paid record amounts for new cars in May, according to estimates by industry researcher TrueCar.com, as buyers demanded pricier vehicles and auto makers slashed incentives.
The industry-wide average transaction price for new light vehicles reached $29,817 last month, up 0.7% from April and 2.1% from a year earlier. TrueCar.com called the overall prices the highest since January 2002.
"Even though consumers continued to move toward smaller vehicles, they also chose [high content] vehicles that are higher priced, keeping transaction prices high," TrueCar.com's Jesse Toprak said.
Ford Motor Co. saw the biggest year-over-year growth in prices, with an estimated 5.2% increase. Honda Motor Co.'s (HMC, 7267.TO) transaction prices rose 4.6%, while Nissan Motor Co.'s (NSANY, 7201.TO) were up 3.5%.
Incentives, meanwhile, reached their lowest levels in nearly nine years, averaging $2,017 in May, down 13% from April and 29% from the prior year. TrueCar.com called the lower incentives an anomaly and predicted promotions will climb again in June.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/2/11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 6/2/11, 03:34 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Looks like that mix is changing.
I've been noticing that trend for a while, but what I was getting at was that it seems like I remember that not only were the trucks the best sellers, but the profit margins on them were higher than small cars. I'd be curious to see what margins are across the board now, especially since the small car prices have risen so much. Hell, you can run a Focus up into the high 20's now.
Old 6/2/11, 03:50 PM
GT Member

Take it for what it's worth, but there are easily twice as many Camaros than Mustangs on used car lots around me, and this includes models going back to 2005 for the Mustangs. There are about 15 used car lots in a 2 mile radius from me. This increase has been noticible since last fall. Anyone else have this observation?
Old 6/2/11, 04:37 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think a lot of us figured it would be at least 3 years for the sales on the Camaro to hold up.
7 years is a LONG time to be gone. You figure the WHOLE 2005-2009 generation car + 2 years into the current body style...of not having ANY car.
Then it comes back, staggers its product line, and keeps things interesting with its unique looks. Not hard to see its beating the Mustang even by a 1000+ units a month.
Old 6/3/11, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
It has nothing to do with pent-up demand. It has everything to do with how many dumb rednecks are in the south that are happy to buy a tank that you can't see out of.
Funny because the only friend of mine that owns a Camaro lives in Maryland. I guess you guys would have silly yankees up there.

Last edited by Boomer; 6/3/11 at 03:58 PM.
Old 6/3/11, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Killa-B
Funny because the only friend of mine that owns a Camaro lives in Maryland. I guess you guys would have silly yankees up there.
Maryland is the south for our brothers in Canada!

Last edited by Boomer; 6/3/11 at 03:58 PM.
Old 6/4/11, 12:14 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by justindo
Since I'll be getting a Mustang soon too, I can't say I mind the low sales either, as I don't like driving a car that everyone and his brother has .
Careful what you wish for, alot of 4th gen F-body guys liked the same thing and see where it got them in 2002. Or even worse, Ford moves Mustang completely upscale (think GT500 prices for base models)

Last edited by bob; 6/4/11 at 12:16 AM.
Old 6/4/11, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Or even worse, Ford moves Mustang completely upscale (think GT500 prices for base models)
That would entirely kill the spirit of the car. I can't imagine they would ever do that.

Quick Reply: May 2011 Mustang Sales Figure