Old 6/1/11, 11:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation May 2011 Mustang Sales Figure

Delivery (sales) Stats:

Mustang April 2011 Deliveries (actual sales): 6,607

Compared to Competition:

Camaro sold 9,451 units in May 2011.
Challenger sold 3,418 units in May 2011.

Old 6/1/11, 11:47 AM
GT Member

Not really that surprising - current body has been out since 2005 model year and the vast majority of people can't tell the difference between 2005-2009 and 2010+ at first glance. Plus, there was so much pent up demand from the Camaro being re-introduced and from GM's heavy on screen advertising through Transformers.

Disappointing that the Challenger is selling so low. Hope it doesn't mean Chrysler will kill it off at the end of its run, as it looks great on the road (though I wouldn't mind if they shrunk it by 20%).
Old 6/1/11, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that just MY2011 cars or does it include both MY2011 and MY2012?
Old 6/1/11, 04:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by corruptor
Plus, there was so much pent up demand from the Camaro being re-introduced and from GM's heavy on screen advertising through Transformers.
I don't think that is applicable any more. We've been saying that for 2 years now...
Old 6/1/11, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

It has nothing to do with pent-up demand. It has everything to do with how many dumb rednecks are in the south that are happy to buy a tank that you can't see out of.
Old 6/1/11, 05:10 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am very suprised the Camaro has kept the sales lead even though the Mustang is better in every catagory. I havn't paid attention to chevys incentives, I wonder how much money GM has on the hood of the Camaro.

Also Ford has had issues getting Mustang parts so there are not enough out there to even sell.
Old 6/1/11, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Knight
I am very suprised the Camaro has kept the sales lead even though the Mustang is better in every catagory. I havn't paid attention to chevys incentives, I wonder how much money GM has on the hood of the Camaro.

Also Ford has had issues getting Mustang parts so there are not enough out there to even sell.
+1
Mustangs have had quite a few stop ships and production holds this year
Old 6/1/11, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
It has nothing to do with pent-up demand. It has everything to do with how many dumb rednecks are in the south that are happy to buy a tank that you can't see out of.
Old 6/1/11, 06:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Yes, because everyone knows that all rednecks are Southerners, and that all Southerners are rednecks.
Old 6/1/11, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Yes, because everyone knows that all rednecks are Southerners, and that all Southerners are rednecks.
YES! IT IS THE TRUTH! STEREOTYPES ARE ALWAYS 100% ACCURATE AND I NEVER TELL A JOKE!

Laugh a little.
Old 6/1/11, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the Rear End has something to do with it. Every time I think about trading up I just stop that thinking when I see the Diaper. No offence to anyone. Just does not do it for me. sorry...

By the way I would be trading for a GT 500...
Old 6/1/11, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Local Chevy dealer always has about 50 or so Camaros on the lot....Ford dealer has maybe a dozen Mustangs. Seems like the Camaros never change but there is a change on the Mustang lot. Must not be enough rednecks here......
Old 6/1/11, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, redneck jokes aside, I think a real aspect to the problem is that GM is cranking them out left and right; Ford can't seem to get Mustangs built to save their lives. Parts shortages, work stoppages, QC stoppages, and their odd insistence on building dealer stock while ignoring customer orders, and even when they do get them built, they can't seem to get them shipped out to save their lives. Ford builds a great car, but they need to get their **** together in the building/shipping departments.
Old 6/1/11, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Well, my response to the whole south/redneck thing: I'm from Texas, and yes. There are quite a few Camaros around here. Most rednecks drive trucks though. Now, the camaro wins in the New to New ratio.. But there are more Mustangs of all years around here..

Here's why I think the Camaro outsold the Mustang: There are so many orange-skined, swollen muscled, spikey haired douche bags driving Automatic SS Camaros. I personally don't have a problem with the new Camaros. I love all three of the big three. But, I just like the Mustang best; I know the history. These douchbags see these nice looking, "fast" cars and jump all over it; not knowing a thing about it. It's a status thing. ("Ah, dang bruh, you got a new Camaro? That's baller.") I haven't seen a single one drive it with respect.. They all slam on the gas, drive with windows down, music up, and won't look at you at a stoplight. They honestly get them because they think it's cool.. The other vast majority are middle-aged women. They drive the 6's. Every 16 year old girl at my school loves the new Camaro.. They think it's just a hot car (can't argue). As I've said, almost all SS Camaros are driven by Douchbags, who know nothing of the history and they're automatics. Basically, a status symbol.

Of the new Mustangs around here: The drivers of the '11 and '10 GTs are friendly and actually know what they drive. I don't see many '11 and '10 GTs, but when I do, they're usually nice.

There are very few of us who get new Mustangs that actually know the history and respect it. I realize I drive a V6 and I'll probably get silently bashed for this post, but I love driving a Mustang.. It's not special on the road, but it's special to me and it's special to history.
Old 6/1/11, 08:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I don't think that is applicable any more. We've been saying that for 2 years now...
Tru'dat, the current body (even though I love it) has grown long in the tooth. For any sporty coupe, the shelf life is around 3 years.

Hey not all us rednecks like driving a tank with gun slits! Some of us prefer our tanks with lots of visibility too! ---> points to sig<---
Old 6/1/11, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't hate on the south. How many Jersey Shore Guidos buy camaros and had IROCs back in the 80s?
Old 6/1/11, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
Think that redneck is in New Hampshire.
Old 6/1/11, 09:41 PM
Post *****

I don't like the new body w/diaper at all and I've made that pretty clear. Unfortunately, some owners think I'm attacking them and I'm not. My beef is not with people that like it, but with Ford for making such a conflicted design with lines going everywhere and a cheap **** black plastic wrap around. The rear is a visual fail. And on this forum the debates are among Mustang enthusiasts that like or don't like the diaper design.

But the real question is how does the new buyer like it? Obviously they don't. And not even the fantastic 5.0 could overcome that. Ford can only count on so much churn of previous Mustang buyers ordering new ones.

They better figure out a design that pleases a much wider audience than they did for the '10-'12 style.

The 05-09 S197 lit a fire!! That resulted in GM & Chrysler re-introducing the Camaro and Challenger. The SN95 jelly bean/new edge didn't do that did it?

The 10-12 S197D created arguments amongst Mustang owners, and failed to inspire new buyers.

The numbers don't lie. The scoreboard tells the story. Read it and weep.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/2/11 at 12:07 AM.
Old 6/1/11, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I don't like the new body w/diaper at all and I've made that pretty clear. Unfortunately, some owners think I'm attacking them and I'm not. My beef is not with people that like it, but with Ford for making such a conflicted design with lines going everywhere. The rear is a visual fail. And on this forum the debates are among Mustang enthusiasts that like or don't like the diaper design.

But the real question is how does the new buyer like it? Obviously they don't. And not even the fantastic 5.0 could overcome that. Ford can only count on so much churn of previous Mustang buyers ordering new ones.

They better figure out a design that pleases a much wider audience than they did for the '10-'12 style.
Wow. My last Mustang was a 2001 GT. I *LOVED* that car. When the 2005 came out, I thought it was great but when it came time to buy a new car I bought an SUV. I regretted getting rid of the 2001 but wasn't really pining for a 2005-2009. The 2010 change -- specifically the rear end -- is what brought me back. I love every bit of it. I feel it makes the 2005-2009 rear look plain and droopy.

Obviously to each their own but I'm just shocked by how strongly you feel about it and how much you think it drives people away...
Old 6/1/11, 09:53 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by jaybertx
Wow. My last Mustang was a 2001 GT. I *LOVED* that car. When the 2005 came out, I thought it was great but when it came time to buy a new car I bought an SUV. I regretted getting rid of the 2001 but wasn't really pining for a 2005-2009. The 2010 change -- specifically the rear end -- is what brought me back. I love every bit of it. I feel it makes the 2005-2009 rear look plain and droopy.

Obviously to each their own but I'm just shocked by how strongly you feel about it and how much you think it drives people away...
You must not read many of my (or numerous other people's) posts that are critical of Ford (not you) for their awful design with lines going up, sideways, down, diagonal, all at once.

And here you are - a previous Mustang owner buying a newer one. What does the new buyer think???

Believe what you want but how do you explain the Camaro logging regular sales gains - even in this economy - and the Mustang flatlining/declining?? The Mustang is a better vehicle than Camaro but it's sales are failing - by a WIDE margin. And for many months now...

How do you explain that??

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/1/11 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: May 2011 Mustang Sales Figure