Search this Thread

Old 5/19/10, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual!
Old 5/19/10, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Wife had a 91-LX 5.0 3.73 stick. Most fun car I ever had.

That said, I've ordered a 5.0 Auto. Reasons- I'm older now (not ancient yet). And also keep in mind there is a slight amount of concentration involved to keep your shifting smooth (no-I'm not brain dead -yet ). There's nothing worse than that sweet 5.0 exhaust ruined by a goofed up shift LOL.
I think if I went with the V-6 though, I would seriously consider the manual. Read one review that was slightly negative on that combo.

Last edited by GJM20115.0; 5/19/10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 5/19/10, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I never understand the "Automatic is faster" argument. Yes, it is, so what? Put a 16 yr old girl in the same car and she could go as fast as you. Sure as hell can't say the same for manual. It's a sense of personal achievement and enjoyment to be able to heel-toe, rev-match, etc. by yourself, imo. I've been driving automatic and I am really bored when I drive. More so in traffic. I'd rather be engaged and slightly frustrated than bored out of my mind and not focusing.
Old 5/19/10, 04:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ireallycare
I never understand the "Automatic is faster" argument. Yes, it is, so what?
Who said that?

Automatic is more consistant, but not faster.
Old 5/19/10, 04:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by trane
I sorta don't get this. All I had were motorcycles for many years and I sat through more rush hours than I could care to remember. One of my bikes had a very stiff clutch, but even that didn't make me wish for an auto. If you're rolling slow enough to be in first, no biggie. If you're stopped, shift to neutral till you move again, no biggie.

I just don't get how a manual is an issue in stop-n-go traffic.
California stop-n-go is probably a lot different from Colorado stop-n-go. Literally, move up to 10 feet, complete stop. Move up 10 feet, complete stop. Move 50 feet, get a chance to throw it into second, complete stop. Or sometimes you're creeping along at 3 MPH, just slow enough that it's about to stall. Now imagine doing this for 30+ minutes. That is a pain in my book. Thankfully my commute has basically no traffic as I don't need to use the freeway.
Old 5/19/10, 04:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
California stop-n-go is probably a lot different from Colorado stop-n-go. Literally, move up to 10 feet, complete stop. Move up 10 feet, complete stop. Move 50 feet, get a chance to throw it into second, complete stop. Or sometimes you're creeping along at 3 MPH, just slow enough that it's about to stall. Now imagine doing this for 30+ minutes. That is a pain in my book. Thankfully my commute has basically no traffic as I don't need to use the freeway.
It's not that bad to me (the shifting not the traffic, the traffic is terrible). And I like having a skill most people don't have. My order is a manual, and I'm ready to conquer SoCal traffic with it
Old 5/19/10, 04:57 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Go with the automatic. I have yet missed a gear in an automatic transmissioned car LOL!!!
Old 5/19/10, 05:27 PM
GT Member

I have an auto and I think it runs great. It's very fun to drive. Your decision would have to depend on whether you want it to be only you driving it or if you want share the fun with your wife. I bought an auto because of my daily commute and so my girlfriend could take over if I had too many to drink.
Old 5/19/10, 05:33 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Manual for the head of the household, a Prius for the wife.

Just allow her to pick the color.

Old 5/19/10, 05:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
It's not that bad to me (the shifting not the traffic, the traffic is terrible). And I like having a skill most people don't have. My order is a manual, and I'm ready to conquer SoCal traffic with it
I thought you didn't know how to drive manual, or this is your first manual transmission car?
Old 5/19/10, 05:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
I thought you didn't know how to drive manual, or this is your first manual transmission car?
No, my car now is a stick. Its only got 126hp though
Old 5/19/10, 06:03 PM
GT Member

If I had to fight traffic each and every day I would probably go with the auto (have really bad knees), but my
manual is for pleasure driving and I enjoy shifting and the sweet sound as you run through the gears. An auto just doesn't sound the same no matter what you do to it...
It's your car and you need to get what works out best for you (and wife) for your needs.
Many, many years ago I taught my wife to drive a stick, and decided it was best for her to have an auto,
couldn't afford the tires (and clutch). She just seemed to squeal the tires almost every time she took off.
Either way I do not think you can go wrong with the new '11. I drove a manual one yesterday, and it will
get up and go very well. It was a base that my dealer just got in, mine is sitting in Area, err.. Ramp 51
awaiting shipment).
Old 5/19/10, 06:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ireallycare
I never understand the "Automatic is faster" argument. Yes, it is, so what? Put a 16 yr old girl in the same car and she could go as fast as you. Sure as hell can't say the same for manual. It's a sense of personal achievement and enjoyment to be able to heel-toe, rev-match, etc. by yourself, imo. I've been driving automatic and I am really bored when I drive. More so in traffic. I'd rather be engaged and slightly frustrated than bored out of my mind and not focusing.
I don't need to pat myself on the back after losing a race to someone in an Auto by saying I did pretty good for a manual. I like the consistency of the auto - never miss a shift. I just want to be faster than you and not have to try so dang hard.
It doesn't make me double check my crotch knowing that girl can floor the car. I can feel the engine and make the subtle adjustments to the throttle necessary to drive the auto even more effectively.
I would bet you that if most people had the same car - one manual with a tune, me auto with a tune, same tires, similar gearing - I would win on a road course or drag race unless you are a seasoned vet, especially if we both had limited seat time in the car beforehand. I don't need to study shift points and practice my heel-toe, balance the clutch, any of that. I just need to focus on my line, and traction, and perhaps force a shift here and there.

Yes you can get more out of the manual, but for a LOT more effort and time behind the wheel studying. I don't feel I would ever get to the point where I would drive manual faster than I drive auto. I am a good auto driver and an average manual driver. I can accept that, and am good with that. I'll take the one that is faster for me, who cares about anyone else.
Old 5/19/10, 06:20 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I just HAD to have a manual...the wife tried it a few times, didnt care for it at all, so she got her own V6/auto/pony...everybodys happy
Old 5/19/10, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

IMHO you should get the manual transmission and teach her how to drive a stick shift car, but on something else besides the Mustang. I have a good friend who taught his new wife how to drive stick. Cost him a clutch, but she is pretty good at it now.

I'm fortunate to have married a wonderful lady (more than 16 years ago) who learned how to drive stick when she was 16 and learning how to drive period. This was on the hills of eastern Kentucky where she grew up, so she is better than many others. All five of our cars are manuals, and my wife and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 5/19/10, 06:28 PM

Unless you have a physical impairment that restricts you from driving a manual, go for the manual.
Old 5/19/10, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i could never understand the people who want a performance car and then choose an automatic. they're just fooling themselves into thinking they are "driving" a performance car.

sincerely,

ed
Old 5/19/10, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had both and I love shifting a manual. In your circumstances, though, I would get an auto. If teaching your wife how to drive a stick was really an option you probably wouldn't have posted.
(On a side note, shifting gears on a motorcycle is an entirely different experience than shifting in a car.)
Old 5/19/10, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by edw794
i could never understand the people who want a performance car and then choose an automatic. they're just fooling themselves into thinking they are "driving" a performance car.

sincerely,

ed
Lol I read that quick and thought it was eci.

I would buy a manual (Adam I think you were thinking of me; I know how to drive stick but have never owned a MT car), but tell that to the guys running 8 sec 1/4miles with their turboed/nitrous drag cars buddy.
Old 5/19/10, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Stick all the way... my wife also likes the stick better, lucky me !!

For me, automatic is simply boring to drive... stick keeps me from sleeping !!

Quick Reply: Manual vs. automatic - can't decide