Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Likely moving to Germany ... need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/18, 08:08 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
It's my first Beemer, so I have no experience with their engines before this. But is seems very smooth at high RPM and quite happy to blip. Must be low weight flywheel or just low engine inertia. But the funny this is at idle it shakes the car, like a V8 in a Mustang or a Vette would. That may be a software doing it though, because it comes with a very distinct sound, almost lopey-like.

Thanks Rocky, I'm home for the holidays now. Will be bringing the family over after the New Year but for now t's good to be back in the US of A!
I'm really happy for you and you're entire family, Marty. Happy Holidays to you and yours, my friend

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/21/18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12/24/18, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by slowmustang
most BMWs have huge rotors. It' kinda funny that it may be overkill in America....especially for little old ladies....
Yeah, good point. The car weighs 160lbs less than the Mustang and has 15” front and 14.5” rear rotors. Mustang had 14” front and 11.8” rears. Even with GT500 rear brakes they were 13.8”

but it I would argue that the Beemer brakes are designed for Autobahn and track speeds. At 165mph I’ll take all the stopping power and fade resistance I can get.

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I'm really happy for you and you're entire family, Marty. Happy Holidays to you and yours, my friend
Thanks Rocky. Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to the whole Mustan community!

have a great holiday and Happy New year everyone!
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (12/26/18)
Old 12/24/18, 11:33 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to the whole Mustan community!

have a great holiday and Happy New year everyone!
Jeesh you're barely in Germany and already forgot how to spell Mustang!!! Typical Beemer driver...
Have a great Holidays!
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (12/26/18)
Old 12/26/18, 02:33 PM

^^^^ This

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/26/18 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12/26/18, 05:03 PM
Banned

haha, this is why I’m refusing to leave the community even though I don’t have a MUSTANG anymore. Phew, finally spelled it right! ​​​​​​​
Old 12/29/18, 01:59 PM

Marty, once you're part of the Mustang community, you're always part of it. Happy Holidays, my friend
Old 1/24/19, 03:03 PM
Banned

Hey guys, been a little bit. So the whole fam is here now, and we're starting to settle into a groove.

Almost have the second car secured (more on that later) but for now I'm enjoying my M2. I like it a lot, and at the same time I miss a few things about the Mustnag.

What I'm enjoying: The light and nimble handling (3450lbs), the visibility and the chassis, and the superb and undeniable supreme balance. It is tail happy for sure, but in a progressive, controllable and secure way. It loves corners, and the Active M diff helps too. Mid corner slightly on throttle thinking it might under steer? No problem, just add more throttle and the power goes to the outside wheel not only launching you out of the corner, but adding rotation. This is pretty frikkin' nice. The Torsen doesn't do that!

What I miss: The sound. The M2 sounds good, and depending on mode has great purple/pop going on off throttle, but it's not the same as the deep tone and the anger of the Mustang. I miss instantaneous throttle response of an NA V8. And lastly I miss the high end HP of the Coyote. The M2 is just as quick up to 80mph, but I feel the Mustang was faster from 80-140. The M2 can go 168 as I've already verified on the autobahn, but the Mustang is more of an experience getting up there, and it revved out quicker.

I had to work for speed in the Mustang, and in the M2 it happens more easily so to speak. I have some track days lined up already, and I'd like to come back with more in depth analysis of handling later. But for now here we are.

So I like it, and at the same time I miss the Pony. Here are some more recent pics. Oh yeah, and I have winter tires on it now. Because that's the law around here.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/24/19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 1/24/19, 03:55 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

And now that you're a beemer owner you continue to misspell Mustang...
Sounds like the M2 is a hoot to drive!
Old 1/26/19, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
it is. And my excuse has always been and will continue to be that I’m an engineer and I don’t need to know how to spell as long as I’m good at math and science.

And I don’t know how to spell BeMVee either
Old 1/26/19, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Speaking is misspelling, a Beemer is a motorcycle. A Bimmer is a car. 😉
Old 1/26/19, 08:46 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Speaking is misspelling, a Beemer is a motorcycle. A Bimmer is a car. 😉
Schooled!
Old 1/27/19, 02:17 PM
Banned

So I'm still waiting for my stuff. We skipped the sea freight and decided to only do the air freight. But something was bugging me. We had the packing company get all our clothes, daughters toys, some kitchen stuff. And then I had the car section. My box full of track stuff, and a tool box. But something was bothering me... what was I missing?
Oh, right, my *&^% helmet! Turns out I left my helmet behind. Oh, that makes me angry. Ok, on one hand I chose the family stuff over my own stuff, but on the other hand ****! I will have my first track day in 2 months!

Ok, not the end of the world, I still have some fam in the states and I'll ask one of them to ship it. But my own stupidity makes me angry right now.
Old 1/30/19, 09:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
What engine and tranny does the M2 have ?
Old 1/31/19, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheReaper
What engine and tranny does the M2 have ?
N55 is the engine code, it's an inline 6 with a single twin scroll turbo. 370hp and 369lbs/ft

Trans is a 6 speed manual. I don't know who makes it, but it's pretty nice. Shifts are not super short, but mechanical feeling.
Old 2/10/19, 05:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm an Expat and lived in Germany for more than 22 years. About 15 of those years I drove a Mustang. The German Ford dealers were really good and I had no problems getting things fixed when the time came, including warranty work. I've lived in the Balkans for 13 years and had an 3 Mustangs with the latest being a '11 GT. I'm about to replace my '06 Escape with 181K miles for a '19 Escape. I'm putting in the order tomorrow, and will pick it up in Germany once it's built. If you want to sell your current vehicle of course that's up to you. For me there will always be a Mustang in the stable no matter where I go.
Old 2/10/19, 09:33 AM
Banned

How do you like living in the Balkans?
I loved having my Mustang back in the States. But when in Rome...

I miss it, but this M2 handles better than anything I've ever driven outside of a gocart.
Old 2/10/19, 09:34 AM
Banned

Also, today I want for a Sunday cruise wondering if I can hit the top speed of the car which is 270kph or 168mph within just one exit on the Autobahn. Turn out I can. No worries. And some heavy braking at the end to make my exit, but no problem for the big Brembos

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/10/19 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2/17/19, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice run and the BB's did a excellent job at the end.
Old 2/26/19, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Marcin,

somebody just told me in another thread that you live in Germany for a while now. It was my posting about the XL-18 additive I believe.

So I'd assume you do not have any more questions about what to take and what to leave at home I guess? As always, I am late to the party it seems.
Funny you went from Mustang to BMW about the time when I went from BMW to Mustang.

Have you already been to the Nordschleife? I can recommend an excellent but rather expensive track event there. But I can promise it will be the best track event you will ever have.

The background is this:

For some years, drivers participating in the 24h race on the Nürburgring Nordschleife need to have a done a certain number of race laps and gained a certain number of points in races over a certain period of time to be allowed to participate. Otherwise, they need to do a special course beforehand. It consistsof some special "24h Rennen Nürburgring"- track theory lessons and then half a day of first guided and then open track driving.

Now here comes the fun part:

If you know who to ask, you can book in for this course.

The best thing about it is this:

It takes place on Wednesday before the 24h race. Thursday will be practice day for the teams, Friday is for qualifyings and the race is from saturday to sunday. Thursday is a bank holiday anyway. So if you bring a tent or manage to find a room somewhere, you will be able to live through the best motorsports event in the world topped maybe only by the Daytona 500 (or was it Indy 500?)

Also, the first visitors (and tends and wooden towers and weirdos and beer) are already at the campgrounds beside the track ond Wednesday during that training. So you will have people cheering at you and it's just supercool. If your car breaks down, you will probably get beer and grilled sausages, too.

I believe it is the best way to live through this motorsports event: Track day, tent, lots of beer and BBQ, mud (depending on the weather) and loads of cars.
Seriously, if you have a little money to spare, you should consider doing this.

Here is an video that catches the atmosphere rather well I'd say:

If you got any questions about this event, track days or the nightmarish depths of German bureaucracy, feel free to ask.

Tschüß und Gute Nacht

Oliver aka Tomcat0815

Last edited by Tomcat0815; 2/26/19 at 10:39 PM. Reason: mixed up indy 500 and daytona 500
Old 2/27/19, 01:54 PM
Banned

Thanks Oliver!

I have an arrangement with my wife. After our daughter was born I can still do track days, but no over night outings. So as long as I can drive to it, drive it, and drive home all is good. Our daughter is almost 4 years old and a total time and energy hog. So this is a fair deal.

I am registered for Spa with RSRSpa, and no I have not been to green hell yet. I figure my first event in the M2 should be somewhere with more runoff room to allow me to learn the car. But I will hit Nordshleife at least 2 times this season. I agree with you on track days and not Turistenfahren. I won't risk it either! Almsot 800 Euro for a day is steep, but it's the best track in the world, so I say **** it :-)

I would also like to get to Salzbergring, Annau du Rhin, and of course Hockenheimring. I will be at Hockenheimring some time this year for sure.

Mustang is a great track car. With some suspension mods, pads, and tires these cars are very capable. I got my Track Pack GT to over 1.2g in cornering capability. I miss the V8. On the flip side the M2 feels quick, light and nimble, and the handling with the trick active rear dif is dope. I wish you a good season!

Quick Reply: Likely moving to Germany ... need some advice