Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Legal for me to fill gap on bottom of driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/10, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

So I called the city, they said they would "send somebody down within a few days."

I also spoke to my neighbors. Apparently, the city filled that for them - a DECADE ago! The elderly man said it took them two or three days to respond, but that was many years ago. So I went to Home Depot bought a 2x4x8 cut of wood for $2.09 and laid it down there. Much better and I figured it'd do until the city comes around eventually.

Thanks for the replies!

p.s. YSUsteven, I live in 91367, Cali
Old 11/19/10, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might just be surprised by what could happen here too...
Old 11/19/10, 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you did the right thing, in both getting them to do it and with your temporary solution
Old 11/19/10, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Hello

So I called the city, they said they would "send somebody down within a few days."

I also spoke to my neighbors. Apparently, the city filled that for them - a DECADE ago! The elderly man said it took them two or three days to respond, but that was many years ago. So I went to Home Depot bought a 2x4x8 cut of wood for $2.09 and laid it down there. Much better and I figured it'd do until the city comes around eventually.

Thanks for the replies!

p.s. YSUsteven, I live in 91367, Cali
Wrong state even. And the City where this project is would never send anyone to help... They would just say that they will be rebuilding the street shortly.
Old 11/19/10, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

I was going to suggest throwing a board down there and supporting it with some spikes in the cracks.

When they raised the road out in front of my house about 3 inches it took several letters and lots of phone calls to get them to bring out a half of load of gravel to fix my drive. No way were they going to fix it with asphalt. I lived here for 25 years paying taxes and this is the only thing I ever asked them for but it was like asking for an act of God.

TED
Old 11/19/10, 11:30 PM

LOL so this is what happened:

When I went to Home Depot to buy the wood yesterday, I foolishly did not measure the width of the bottom of my driveway. I actually asked them to cut the 2x4x8 into 6-feet. When I got home, I realized that my driveway is actually more like 10-12 feet wide at the bottom, so I made do by placing the 6-footer and the 2-footer together.

This morning, as I backed my car out to go to class, I was silently congratulating myself in my head on how smart I am because the wood made the trek down much, much smoother. This was 9:00 am. When I got home from class at around 2pm, I once again appreciated the DIY improvement I made.

HOWEVER, after I went to work at 4pm, my mom calls me within the hour and tells me that the piece of wood is GONE. Well, whoever took it only took the 6-footer and was kind enough to leave the 2-footer where it was.

I'm pissed because it's so cheap ($2.09), so GO BUY ONE YOURSELF. Oh, well. It wasn't technically on my property, so the thief can just claim that he "found" a piece of wood on the street, even though it's pretty **** obvious what it's for.

Now I'm thinking of just buying a bag of gravel. Hopefully nobody comes and shovels them all into a trash bag and take them.
Old 11/19/10, 11:59 PM
GTR Member

You won't like the gravel, you will be dragging it up the driveway and out into the street.

Get a couple of bags of asphalt patch and spread it out in two places where the tires of your car roll over it as you go in and out of the driveway.

Then if the city ever does come to fix it, it won't be that hard to remove.
Old 11/20/10, 07:54 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

When I went to Home Depot to buy the wood yesterday, I foolishly did not measure the width of the bottom of my driveway. I actually asked them to cut the 2x4x8 into 6-feet. When I got home, I realized that my driveway is actually more like 10-12 feet wide at the bottom, so I made do by placing the 6-footer and the 2-footer together.

This morning, as I backed my car out to go to class, I was silently congratulating myself in my head on how smart I am because the wood made the trek down much, much smoother. This was 9:00 am. When I got home from class at around 2pm, I once again appreciated the DIY improvement I made.

HOWEVER, after I went to work at 4pm, my mom calls me within the hour and tells me that the piece of wood is GONE. Well, whoever took it only took the 6-footer and was kind enough to leave the 2-footer where it was.

I'm pissed because it's so cheap ($2.09), so GO BUY ONE YOURSELF. Oh, well. It wasn't technically on my property, so the thief can just claim that he "found" a piece of wood on the street, even though it's pretty **** obvious what it's for.

Now I'm thinking of just buying a bag of gravel. Hopefully nobody comes and shovels them all into a trash bag and take them.
"Look ma! Free wood!"

People suck.
Old 11/20/10, 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Unless they read this thread, nobody knows what it's doing there, so yeah, it's free.

Liquid Nails. That is all.
Old 11/21/10, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Unless they read this thread, nobody knows what it's doing there, so yeah, it's free.

Liquid Nails. That is all.
And thats one of the reasons that I suggested glueing them down.
Old 12/8/10, 04:03 PM

Hi,

For those who care, the city did fill the crap hole on the bottom of my driveway with asphalt.

They did it on November 30th. I called on November 19th, a Friday. Considering the few rainy days we had and Thanksgiving, the city responded in a timely manner.

Just to share with you guys in case anyone needs some street maintenance done. Call the city, they will take care of it!

(No more 3 inch dip so finally got car lowered. Yay)
Old 12/8/10, 09:21 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Hi,

For those who care, the city did fill the crap hole on the bottom of my driveway with asphalt.

They did it on November 30th. I called on November 19th, a Friday. Considering the few rainy days we had and Thanksgiving, the city responded in a timely manner.

Just to share with you guys in case anyone needs some street maintenance done. Call the city, they will take care of it!

(No more 3 inch dip so finally got car lowered. Yay)
That's cool. Now the main question is did it take at least a half dozen guys leaning on shovels while the rookie did all the work? lol
Old 12/9/10, 02:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
That's cool. Now the main question is did it take at least a half dozen guys leaning on shovels while the rookie did all the work? lol

That was super fast! and you didn't have to get your hands dirty.. nice