Old 6/10/10, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont think Kona has a purple in it at all. just Sonic Blue IMO

Old 6/29/10, 09:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
^goood looking machine.

So any new Kona owners regretting their paint choice? My Kona car isn't here yet but I still think I picked the right one for me...purple or not.
Old 6/29/10, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Kona seems to be really sensitive to its environment more so than the other colors. The blue hue is really deep in a lot of photos and looks great to me, but when I took a look in person, it appeared a bit dull and not as saturated, and it was definitely leaning a few shades towards purple. It was a very overcast and cloudy day that day, and I expected it to have that kind of effect on how the paint looks. I originally wanted to go with Kona, but after seeing it in the kind of weather I'm in 7-9 months out of the year, I had to pass.
Old 6/29/10, 10:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by druice
Kona seems to be really sensitive to its environment more so than the other colors. The blue hue is really deep in a lot of photos and looks great to me, but when I took a look in person, it appeared a bit dull and not as saturated, and it was definitely leaning a few shades towards purple. It was a very overcast and cloudy day that day, and I expected it to have that kind of effect on how the paint looks. I originally wanted to go with Kona, but after seeing it in the kind of weather I'm in 7-9 months out of the year, I had to pass.
I think you're right on...but the times that the paint does look good, it looks incredible to me.

It looks like you went with the bright "ingot" silver, druice-- that's probably the most "stable" color to my eye. It looks great in direct sunlight or under street lights at night. I think you'll be happy with that...and based on your sig pic, you know what you're getting into.

I dig silver but after two consecutive black cars, I needed something with some color though.

Fortunately, these cars look quite good in all of the available colors. I don't think you can go wrong. On the other hand, I don't think there is one "amazing" color for 2011...at least not until yellow blaze comes along.

Last edited by MRGTX; 6/29/10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 6/29/10, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Since this thread returned and I've had my new Kona Blue Mustang for a few days now, I'll add my two cents. As others have said, you are most likely to see a purple hue at dusk. It doesn't make the whole car look purple, only a purple streak where the light is hitting it just right. For the most part, it just looks blue.
Old 6/29/10, 11:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I think you're right on...but the times that the paint does look good, it looks incredible to me.

It looks like you went with the bright "ingot" silver, druice-- that's probably the most "stable" color to my eye. It looks great in direct sunlight or under street lights at night. I think you'll be happy with that...and based on your sig pic, you know what you're getting into.

I dig silver but after two consecutive black cars, I needed something with some color though.

Fortunately, these cars look quite good in all of the available colors. I don't think you can go wrong. On the other hand, I don't think there is one "amazing" color for 2011...at least not until yellow blaze comes along.
If I lived where it was bright and sunny 99% of the time, Kona would have been a no-brainer for me. I went with silver because it's "stable" like you said. The reflections are clearer and the paint is metallic, which I prefer over the candy-coated look.

I had a hunch Kona can look a bit purple during the late day or sunset, as Skotty mentioned. The reflections pick up the reds and oranges from the remaining daylight, so putting those colors together would give you some purple.
Old 6/29/10, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Actually under certain conditions Kona = Black.
Old 6/29/10, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

after seeing a kona blue SHO i think it does have purple tint.....when parked next to a red car.... www.instantrimshot.com
Old 6/29/10, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll just throw out here that white pretty much looks like white in any light.
Old 6/29/10, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After a month of ownership, I really love my Kona Blue and have no regrets. Last 4 cars were lighter colors, so it was time for a change anyway.

I like the way it changes in different light and so does everyone that has seen it in person.

Sitting in the back half of my 24x48 garage with the flourecent lights on it looks BLACK from the driveway. Walk into the garage and it now looks blue and even closer yet you start to see the purple every so often. Outside it just depends on the lighting ... have not heard any negative comments on my color choice, everyone seems to like it.

Have not had anyone say they don't like the satin black MCA stripes either. Usually I've got to point them out as people don't see them at first, but once they know they are there they think the "ghost" effect is pretty cool. Heck I was even considering removing the stripes, but they really are a nice subtle contrast on this color.

Doug
Old 6/29/10, 07:53 PM

I ordered a race red car and its one of them that dosent seem to want to be delivered so when a kona blue roush car came in bought that one and have no regrets that color is smoken.
Old 6/29/10, 11:57 PM
Cobra R Member

i saw one at dealer,and it was in the shade,on a bright sunny day...first thing i thought was....wow is that ever purple looking...not a bad thing,but it's there...
Old 6/30/10, 01:35 AM
GT Member

It's funny you say that, because I saw my car yesterday at the dealer (getting it today) and on the key it said purple not blue.
Old 6/30/10, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flourescent lighting tends to phase-shift colors. Since it produces only pure white light and not the full chromatic spectrum, it has a tendency to move colors towards the high frequency end. Thus, red cars tend to look orange, and blue cars tend to look purple.

Different principle, but same result, outside. Red + blue = purple. When you have a red car reflecting a deep blue sky, it will look purple. A blue car, reflecting the deep reds of dusk or dawn, will also look purple. Since the blue in Kona is so deep to begin with, it doesn't take much to make it look purple. A color like grabber blue, OTOH, is a very light blue and requires far more red than dusk can provide to make it look purple.
Old 6/30/10, 11:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Flourescent lighting tends to phase-shift colors. Since it produces only pure white light and not the full chromatic spectrum, it has a tendency to move colors towards the high frequency end. Thus, red cars tend to look orange, and blue cars tend to look purple.

Different principle, but same result, outside. Red + blue = purple. When you have a red car reflecting a deep blue sky, it will look purple. A blue car, reflecting the deep reds of dusk or dawn, will also look purple. Since the blue in Kona is so deep to begin with, it doesn't take much to make it look purple. A color like grabber blue, OTOH, is a very light blue and requires far more red than dusk can provide to make it look purple.
Too simplistic. I'd like you to show me some light reflection and refraction equations relating to specific visible and invisible wavelengths that would explain why my blue car has been called "eggplant."

Otherwise, it's not purple.

Old 6/30/10, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Too simplistic. I'd like you to show me some light reflection and refraction equations relating to specific visible and invisible wavelengths that would explain why my blue car has been called "eggplant."

Otherwise, it's not purple.

Sorry, my specialty is radar, not chromatics.
Old 6/30/10, 02:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Sorry, my specialty is radar, not chromatics.
How long did it take you to reflect on that one?
Old 6/30/10, 02:55 PM

I picked mine up Monday. After detailing it, I can see some hues of dark purple or royal blue.

Old 6/30/10, 02:59 PM
GT Member

I just got my car and it's Kona, so I'll take some pics and post here. I would today, but it's raining like crazy.
Old 7/6/10, 03:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Radiohead
I just got my car and it's Kona, so I'll take some pics and post here. I would today, but it's raining like crazy.
I'd love to see them!!

My car will be here any day. I'll do the same.

Quick Reply: Kona Blue = purple??!!