Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Key Fob Range

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/14, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Fob Range

So yesterday I installed a Scosche radio bezel and Pioneer head unit. I used a PAC interface module to connect it all up. Everything appeared to be working well yesterday. Then today when I go out to my car my key fob will only work if I am standing right next to the car as in like within 5 feet. Has anybody ever heard of this happening? I didn't think anything having to do with the radio would have any effect on my keyless entry. Does anybody know anything?
Old 2/23/14, 09:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Could be extra interference from the new parts. I would check and see that any new components and wires leading to/from them are not too close to anything related to keyless entry.

I installed some LED running lights in my Focus, and they caused a TON of interference. Key fob barely worked, and it even hampered the radio reception. The power wire was just throwing off a lot of interference. If you do find a specific wire as the issue, you can shield it to reduce interference.

Could also just be time for a new battery, too.
Old 2/23/14, 09:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Could be extra interference from the new parts. I would check and see that any new components and wires leading to/from them are not too close to anything related to keyless entry.

I installed some LED running lights in my Focus, and they caused a TON of interference. Key fob barely worked, and it even hampered the radio reception. The power wire was just throwing off a lot of interference. If you do find a specific wire as the issue, you can shield it to reduce interference.

Could also just be time for a new battery, too.
How could I shield it? I doubt I need a new battery already both keys are the same way and the car is only a month old.
Old 2/23/14, 09:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You can replace it with wire that is shielded, or you can look into a ferrite choke, although depending on the circumstances you'll need to put a significant amount of wire through the choke to get it to work adequately.

To use the choke you basically just loop a bunch of wire through it instead of just a single pass. I would also check that everything you installed is grounded, and grounded well.
Old 2/23/14, 09:35 PM
GT Member

ill double check the grounds. I wouldn't think something that so many people have done in their mustangs would cause an issue like this but maybe I screwed something up.