Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just drove a 2011 Mustang GT and I'm not sure I like it!

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/10, 07:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good idea! I may feel a lot better about finally seeing the car that I ordered with the options I want on it as well.

Originally Posted by Kahdir
As a worst case, test drive the one you ordered before signing the paperwork... that way you can get on it hard as you want and not feel guilty
Maybe that's the problem? I just didn't feel that it was as fast since it's not as loud?

Originally Posted by Ninjak
Well I know my 08 is faster....lol its modded !

Saying that, after I drove a 11 GT with the sport mode on, I could feel its power. It was very refined...but I looked down at the tac, and I was @ 6k rpm's like it was nothing...I could barely tell..........I was running a car with 3:31 gears as well.

The new 11 may not seem fast, but it is. Its a very refined feel, and I think that nullifies the butt dyno feeling.
Old 6/13/10, 07:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grabberguy
Cdynaco:
.....Ford really promoted the 5.0 V8 beginning around 1982 as well and supported the aftermarket parts business like never before. All of this helped create the Fox/5.0 culture that many folks remember fondly today, even though it's been about 15 years since a "5.0" engine designation has been available in a Mustang.

.....I don't know if the 2010 4.6L has 100% of the Bullitt engine features, but at a minimum it received most of them and the HP/torque numbers are the same as the 2009 Bullitt.....My 2010, to answer your question, had the 3:31 axle ratio, same as my 2005 and 2006 300HP Mustangs.
Thanx!

I forgot the early 302 was OHV...

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/13/10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 6/13/10, 08:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Funny..its like talking to a fighter pilot who says that in the air you don't really feel the speed and after a while you just become used to it.
Where you REALLY realize how fast you are going, is when you are closer to the ground and you actually see things going by faster.

I think a lot of people use different things to gauge speed, and what one is used to, doesn't mean the same in all vehicles.
A combination of butt, sound, torque,gearing etc used in one car will not equal the same on another.
Drive a sunfire at 100mph and it'll feel like you are flying and the car is ready to fly appart...when in a 2011 GT, you'll be like 'I'm not going that fa...whoa seriously... I'm going that fast?'

To see the REAL difference... put the 2 side by side...you'll see how speed feels and how fast something is..
2 VERY different things
Old 6/14/10, 09:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't beleve the dealer ruined that race red color! I looks like a baboon's ***. I was even considering going back there to take a second look. Now I just can't. I just can't drive around in a 412Hp baboon's ***!

Anyway, something I noticed about the new Mustang is how efficiently it seems to guide power through the drive train. The first GT I drove certainly felt like as near a loss less a drive train could provide power to the rear wheels. Thus I didn't "feel" the power persay but knew all of it was getting out to the back end. I think with poor suspension, less than admirable chasis stiffness and somewhat dismal power trains, other "performance" vehicles of the past have had plenty of power but when the car rares back and tourques the car around with the wrap of the engine and drive line, I would guess to say that this is why the "feelings" are not there or not as noticable. Anyone else feel this way?

I would venture to say that it is much more refined than any other Mustang I have driven. It is what I would expect from an Aston, Jag, BMW.

I agree with many of the posts, the feeling isn't quite there but the power feels, to me, much more linear. I really think the stiffer chassis, better suspension, transmission and advancements in the log rear end have made up many of the dividends for the performance battles the Ford engineers have faced in the past with building a great Mustang. I would suspect driving an Aston around a track would be much the same, minimal chassis movement with each pounding of the throttle, helps the driver and car focus on the task at hand, manuvering!

Maybe Ford should have come out with a drag pack, super stiff front suspension and saggy bottom out back with an insane pan hard bar, that'd lift the front off the ground every time!
Old 6/14/10, 09:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have they gone and made the 11' too smooth? lol
Old 6/14/10, 10:42 AM

Yeah, I didn't like the strips either. It would look a lot better in just the red.

Sales guy said he would give me the car for 35k, with the sticker being 36k. A little bit over a grand off. Pretty funny......

I think maybe they did make the Mustang a little too refined. Maybe that what it was.....

Originally Posted by Automagically
I can't beleve the dealer ruined that race red color! I looks like a baboon's ***. I was even considering going back there to take a second look. Now I just can't. I just can't drive around in a 412Hp baboon's ***!

Anyway, something I noticed about the new Mustang is how efficiently it seems to guide power through the drive train. The first GT I drove certainly felt like as near a loss less a drive train could provide power to the rear wheels. Thus I didn't "feel" the power persay but knew all of it was getting out to the back end. I think with poor suspension, less than admirable chasis stiffness and somewhat dismal power trains, other "performance" vehicles of the past have had plenty of power but when the car rares back and tourques the car around with the wrap of the engine and drive line, I would guess to say that this is why the "feelings" are not there or not as noticable. Anyone else feel this way?

I would venture to say that it is much more refined than any other Mustang I have driven. It is what I would expect from an Aston, Jag, BMW.

I agree with many of the posts, the feeling isn't quite there but the power feels, to me, much more linear. I really think the stiffer chassis, better suspension, transmission and advancements in the log rear end have made up many of the dividends for the performance battles the Ford engineers have faced in the past with building a great Mustang. I would suspect driving an Aston around a track would be much the same, minimal chassis movement with each pounding of the throttle, helps the driver and car focus on the task at hand, manuvering!

Maybe Ford should have come out with a drag pack, super stiff front suspension and saggy bottom out back with an insane pan hard bar, that'd lift the front off the ground every time!
Old 6/14/10, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchion
I don't know. It just didn't "feel" fast. Maybe I just didn't know how to drive it. I didn't wind it out enough maybe?
Try a run through the gears shifting at near redline. It doesn't really come alive to near 4K anyway.
Old 6/15/10, 01:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD
If you used 2.73s and put 28" tires on it, you could probably get to 100 mph in only 2nd out of 5 gears.
Yep my 2.73 geared Z would cross the traps in 2nd.

I'd definately have to agree that it's perception. I haven't ridden/driven an 11 yet just sat in one, but I know that sounding fast and going fast are two different things. For instance. I have a pretty much stock GTO. I'm working on a friends 93 5.0. The 5.0 has shorty headers x-pipe b303 cam and flows. It's quite a bit louder than my GTO for sure. Driving it after we finished it up I was thinking man this might be close to what the GTO is. Then I talked to him and the fastest he ever went was a 13.2 with nitrous (which is no longer on the car). It feels just as fast on the inside because it's louder and a little more brash but is by far slower (not that it's a slug but for reference mind you).

If you can get a chance to run one side by side try it. Even though you might seem to be going faster I'll bet either you had one of the nannies on or the perception of a similar car that is smoother mad you think that it was not as fast.
Old 6/15/10, 01:41 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IT_Guru
It doesn't really come alive to near 4K anyway.
That's the same with the 4.6L 3V though...
Old 6/15/10, 08:16 AM

Perhaps you're right. I'll see about test driving a different 2011 GT tomorrow at the Dealership I ordered mine from. Maybe wind it out a little bit more.

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
Yep my 2.73 geared Z would cross the traps in 2nd.

I'd definately have to agree that it's perception. I haven't ridden/driven an 11 yet just sat in one, but I know that sounding fast and going fast are two different things. For instance. I have a pretty much stock GTO. I'm working on a friends 93 5.0. The 5.0 has shorty headers x-pipe b303 cam and flows. It's quite a bit louder than my GTO for sure. Driving it after we finished it up I was thinking man this might be close to what the GTO is. Then I talked to him and the fastest he ever went was a 13.2 with nitrous (which is no longer on the car). It feels just as fast on the inside because it's louder and a little more brash but is by far slower (not that it's a slug but for reference mind you).

If you can get a chance to run one side by side try it. Even though you might seem to be going faster I'll bet either you had one of the nannies on or the perception of a similar car that is smoother mad you think that it was not as fast.
Old 6/15/10, 08:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Go drive a Camaro SS. This car feels much faster than the GT but runs the same 1/4 mile times. I drove an auto SS and it does feel faster than my auto GT but the auto GT seems to run a little faster in the 1/4. Same goes for the SRT8. This shows it is a lot to do with perception and were the torque starts higher in the rpm band.
Old 6/15/10, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I've read enough now that I'm convinced that my choice would be the 3.55's in the new 6 spd.

The 3.73's with the 6 spd are like the 4.10's in the 5 spd - and 1st is useless with the 4.10's.
Originally Posted by m4reapr
a 3.73 geared car will do 60 mph in 2nd gear so no extra shifts

and compared to a 3.55 geared car the difference is about 200 rpm, that's definitely not a long pull
Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD
BTW....more gear (steeper) will make a car "feel" faster than one that has less gear because it multiplies torque at the wheel more.
Originally Posted by Gene K
My 2007 ran high 12's on factory tires... My 2011 is easily a half second faster. 2nd gear is very short lived even with 3.55. For strictly street use I would have went 3.31. The 3.31 has already proven to be good for 12.5 @ 112 in factory trim.
Originally Posted by Ninjak
Saying that, after I drove a 11 GT with the sport mode on, I could feel its power. It was very refined...but I looked down at the tac, and I was @ 6k rpm's like it was nothing...I could barely tell..........I was running a car with 3:31 gears as well.
Well,,,,,,,,,,,What gear should one order for a daily driver (no track) and still get the WOW FACTOR (adrenaline rush) when one feels like playing (getting on the throttle)???

My concern with the 3.73s is, I don't want to have to shift 1-2 2-3 just to go one block in city driving, am I wrong on this?

Please 101 me on gears for city driving.

LQQK
Old 6/15/10, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Have they gone and made the 11' too smooth? lol
After years of some folks complaining the Mustang was too rough, perhaps it's too refined now?? LOL. Just goes to show ya can't please everyone.

I love my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 and continue to be impressed with the low-end power it makes. What I'm feeling may partially be a function of how the new 6-speed automatic feels (including its ultra-low 1st gear compared to the manual). What is new to me, however, is all that awesome power in the 3,500 - 6,500 RPM range. The old stock 5.0's and 3V 4.6's just didn't have nearly much in the last half of the RPM range by comparison.
Old 6/15/10, 01:22 PM

No, I don't want one of those.......

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Go drive a Camaro SS. This car feels much faster than the GT but runs the same 1/4 mile times. I drove an auto SS and it does feel faster than my auto GT but the auto GT seems to run a little faster in the 1/4. Same goes for the SRT8. This shows it is a lot to do with perception and were the torque starts higher in the rpm band.
Old 6/15/10, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I understand what some of you are saying, I drove an '11 GT auto (they didn't have a manual on the lot) and while I could tell it was faster than my '06 GT it was smoother and quieter since I have FRPP Stingers on the '06.

When I get the next one I know I will have to put an aftermarket exhaust on it right away. Although I was impressed with how loud the stock 5.0 was.

The one thing I did notice was there was a definite lag at slow speeds with the auto. I would press the accelerator and it felt like when I try blipping the throttle on my '06 manual for a downshift sometimes. It felt like the pedal wasn't connected to anything for a second or two.
Old 6/15/10, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I understand what some of you are saying, I drove an '11 GT auto (they didn't have a manual on the lot) and while I could tell it was faster than my '06 GT it was smoother and quieter since I have FRPP Stingers on the '06.

When I get the next one I know I will have to put an aftermarket exhaust on it right away. Although I was impressed with how loud the stock 5.0 was.

The one thing I did notice was there was a definite lag at slow speeds with the auto. I would press the accelerator and it felt like when I try blipping the throttle on my '06 manual for a downshift sometimes. It felt like the pedal wasn't connected to anything for a second or two.
Did you have the TC and Advancetrac off?
Old 6/15/10, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you have the TC and Advancetrac off?
I saw that earlier in this thread but no I didn't even think of it. I'd actually never get an auto (no offense - although now you all know what side of that debate I'm on!) so it didn't bother me but I thought it was odd. It made for an awkard ride though, kind of like when an auto takes a second to kick down a gear but in this case I was coasting in the parking lot and felt the lag at very slow speed.

Last edited by Fords4Ever; 6/15/10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 6/16/10, 04:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
No, I don't want one of those.......
I did not mean for you one to buy one but just feel the difference in the 2 engines. The SS having more tq down low because of its displacement but running out of steam at higher rpm's. This way you can see the difference between what kind of power you enjoy more. For the kind of low end power you are looking for a SC on your 08 looks like a good bet.
Old 6/16/10, 08:25 AM

Well, I thought the 5.0 would have more torque down low? I saw a graph of the torque curve on a 5.0 and it seemed like it would have more torque at lower RPMs then the 4.6?

I did not mean for you one to buy one but just feel the difference in the 2 engines. The SS having more tq down low because of its displacement but running out of steam at higher rpm's. This way you can see the difference between what kind of power you enjoy more. For the kind of low end power you are looking for a SC on your 08 looks like a good bet.
Old 6/16/10, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a thought this morning. This could still be a way to keep fuel mileage low. I know the DOHC engine naturally makes power higher in the band but Ford still has to do right by the fuel mileage. I suppose it didn't bother me as much. Maybe I am used to that type of power. I think ever since the SOHC 4.6 I thought Ford was on to something. Seems like they are just providing a broader spectrum for the car. Just thinking here, no real answers.

Quick Reply: Just drove a 2011 Mustang GT and I'm not sure I like it!