Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Interesting Article on Next Gen Stang...

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/06, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Article on Next Gen Stang...

Found this interesting article on Motor Authority regarding the next gen Stang:

Ford will go with a less retro look for its next generation Mustang, but will stick with the iconic car’s classic features so that it’ll remain instantly recognizable as a pony car. Planned for release after 2010, the new ‘Stang will arrive a couple of years after the new Camaro. To compensate for the late arrival, Ford will give the current version a minor facelift in 2009 that’s said to resemble the next Mustang. Prominent features will be the new low-slung and wider stance with a small glass-house and pumped wheel arches.

Ford will release a new hatchback of fastback version in addition to the coupe and convertible models. The biggest news is that Ford will call on its Australian subsidiary to co-develop a new platform that will spawn a four-door sedan down under. Power will be up across all models thanks to a 280hp 3.5L V6 in base form, followed by a 4.6LV8 with roughly 400hp. There will of course be a Shelby GT500 version developing in excess of 500hp.
[Source: Auto Motor und Sport]

Can't vouch for the accuracy, of course, but sounds plausible and in line with many of the various rumors. Sounds like Ford will do a short-lived refresh of the current platform/body in 2009 to presage the presumably new platform/body in 2010. That platform will apparantly be engineered by the Aussies and used on other cars too, which makes a huge amount of sense from an efficiency of scale POV.

Power will be bumped, of course, though no specific mention of the Hurricane/Boss motor. A hatchback version is mentioned, which I think is a great idea, along with a coupe (notchback?) and vert.

Styling will be iconic Stang, but in a more updated and modern idiom, not quite so straight on retro.

Again, can't speak to the accuracy of any of this, but it does sound promising.
Old 11/14/06, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

It sounds plausible.... a Mustang built on a global sedan platform. The new CEO has been talking about more global platform sharing...

That rendering of '10 Mustang looks like the offspring of an S197 and a DeLorean

Old 11/14/06, 09:46 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like a bunch of speculation to me.
Old 11/14/06, 10:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a new or significantly updated platform for the Mustang in 2011 or so, but not a year after a significant sheet metal update. I know the Crown Vic is tentatively alive till 2012 or so, it would make the most sense to have a new RWD sedan ready around then.
Old 11/14/06, 10:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of speculation to me as well, originally from a German car mag. But the most interesting thing that they speculate about and give us a drawing of is a Mustang Shooting Brake.

Ford did it once before, maybe they'll try it again. Check the Autoblog article for pictures of the concept ford built back in the 60s.
Old 11/14/06, 12:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think a linc or merc-badged Shooting Brake is about 100 times more likely than a 'Stang-baged quasi-wagon.
Old 11/14/06, 12:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't like it...
Old 11/14/06, 02:17 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The new platform has barely broken her cherry... (D2C)
I think people are mistaking reskin and ground up
Old 11/14/06, 02:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm, my immediate reaction was that I don't like it. The GT500 version isn't too bad, but I'm not digging those headlights enough.

To be honest, there's a lot of talent on this site and I'd rather go with these versions for an updated Mustang.

This:

or this:

And this is the best front end to date:
Old 11/14/06, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
The new platform has barely broken her cherry... (D2C)
I think people are mistaking reskin and ground up
ya that's too true. We're all getting carried away!! But yeah, i agree that a Lincoln or Merc mustang-based shooting brake would make more sense.

All I'm really expecting for 2010 from what i've heard is mainly a bit of a facelift, maybe something like that Road and Track cover, and I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that the 2010 would get hips. Other than that, i don't see how much more we can ask for a mid-life refresh. Gotta wait till 2013 or 2014 for a complete overhaul, in my opinion.
Old 11/14/06, 05:30 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't believe any of that report other than the front & rear facias will most likely get updated for when the Camaro appears. No way would Ford spend the $$ for new sheet metal tooling "pumped wheel arches" for only a 1 year run, it makes zero economic sense unless they are crapy body cladding.

The greenhouse is very expensive to change so again I'm suspicious about the veracity of the article.
Old 11/14/06, 08:40 PM
Closet American

Suddenly, the surprise - and coincidental - appearance of the Guigiaro Mustang pictured below may be making more sense >>

Old 11/14/06, 11:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby

Suddenly, the surprise - and coincidental - appearance of the Guigiaro Mustang pictured below may be making more sense >>

http://www.mustangforums.com/upfiles...E43DD7137C.jpg

SON OF SWEET LOOKING POTATO... Man i need to go change my pants .. NOW THATS THE BEST loooking stang I ever saw ... except for the ( 69 models and the s-197 ) I love it ... if they made it im getting one I dont care if it still was a 4.6L

please post more pics of that..
Old 11/15/06, 05:14 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by saud alzaabi
SON OF SWEET LOOKING POTATO... Man i need to go change my pants .. NOW THATS THE BEST loooking stang I ever saw ... except for the ( 69 models and the s-197 ) I love it ... if they made it im getting one I dont care if it still was a 4.6L

I'm gonna guess that's exactly the reaction Ford is hoping for.

Old 11/15/06, 07:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting info--I could easily see a "shooting brake" model badged as
a new Capri or Cougar for the LM family dealers.
Old 11/15/06, 08:29 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by saud alzaabi

That would appear to be the only picture available at the moment. The photographer did indicate the front end was similar to the Camaro concept.

It's gonna be a long few weeks waiting for the official photos
Old 11/15/06, 08:45 AM
I Have No Life

Yeah, i need to see more of the Italian Stallion
That thing looks great... witha few tweaks..(rear) it could look friggin amazing.. but the shape is... magnifique

2010.. reskin... completely new looking car... end of story.
Not just front bumper/rear bumper.
Not that our car looks old..but after 5 years...its gonna start to look..not dated, but.. like a change is in order.

If it looks like the shape (hips/windows) like that...wow...wow... trade in
Old 11/15/06, 08:54 AM

I'm rather surprised that the D2C platform ONLY has the Mustang to support, and perhaps that might make a reshuffling a bit more likely. Yeah, the time frames mentioned in the German article do seem quite tight for anything but the most skin deep changes, though the '67-'68, '69-'70' and '71-'73 Stangs, each with fairly substantial redos, indicate that is not impossible (presuming an early release (midyear '08) of the '09 model and a late release of the '10 (though an '11 sounds more plausible). But that was a long time ago and development costs are far higher now, hence Ford holding on to models for eons now.

Two factors may be driving this quickstep shuffle:
* Get away from the one model D2C platform and put the Stang on a shared platform for greater economies of scale, shared development costs, etc.
* New competition from the Challenger and Camaro -- Ford's going to have to upgrade the Stang to meet and beat the new challengers in terms of content (drivetrain and suspension), styling and content. A cheap and easy facelift likely wouldn't be nearly enough.

Anyways, interesting and maybe a sign that Ford is getting more fire in the belly and bolder.
Old 11/15/06, 08:57 AM
I Have No Life

We know the drivetrain will be updated in 2010/2011
You can bet there will be suspension adjustments as well
Old 11/15/06, 10:21 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Yeah, i need to see more of the Italian Stallion
That thing looks great... witha few tweaks..(rear) it could look friggin amazing.. but the shape is... magnifique

If it looks like the shape (hips/windows) like that...wow...wow... trade in

I agree about a few tweaks to the rear, potentially. That's a poor, quickly taken snapshot and we can't really see the lights properly. They would appear to be severly angled, but might look better from differing angles.

I too am amazed that the current platform underpins just the Mustang. There's talk of the next gen Stang using the Oz Falcon platform. Obvious really, didn't the original Stang use the platform of the then US Falcon???

Quick Reply: Interesting Article on Next Gen Stang...