Sponsored By:

Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/14, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...html?styleid=7

I did this FREE mod over 3 years ago. Same thing but free.
Looks really good, noticed this is for an 05-09 model is the gas pedal the same in the 11-14's?
Old 10/15/14, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It looks like it helps the throttle lag but the PedalMAX supposedly "Increases low and mid-range horsepower and torque." I certainly can feel it on mine. I'm not sure if that's just the result of no lag, or it's doing something else.

Anyway, I'm not good with small electronic parts, but someone with an '11-'14 should try it.
Old 10/15/14, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TommyV
It looks like it helps the throttle lag but the PedalMAX supposedly "Increases low and mid-range horsepower and torque." I certainly can feel it on mine.
How is that if it doesn't interact with the ECU?
Old 10/15/14, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess as to how PedalMax works (and this is just my guess/illustration- I could be completely incorrect) is a simple "recurve" of the throttle signal. From what I can tell looking at the module on the accelerator, the "fly-by-wire" throttle is like a dimmer switch (except you push the pedal instead of turning a ****).

I think PedalMax probably "resets the curve" something like the graph below. Basically, they've taken the dimmer and weighted it so the first portion of the dial has more effect than it used to. At least that's the way it feels to me- you push the accelerator 1/2" and it sends the same signal that 1" used to. Probably more complicated than that- but that would explain most of the effect.
Old 10/15/14, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Reason i asked earlier if anybody with a 3.7 '13 auto had tried it was cause im wondering if it made much of a difference. Apparently the '13 auto's especially the 3.7, are notoriously difficult to make anybetter regarding response/transmission..

Or at least thats my case lol
Old 11/21/14, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunner
Reason i asked earlier if anybody with a 3.7 '13 auto had tried it was cause im wondering if it made much of a difference. Apparently the '13 auto's especially the 3.7, are notoriously difficult to make anybetter regarding response/transmission..

Or at least thats my case lol
I actually pulled the trigger and purchased this for my 2014 3.7 (decided to hold off on new gears and tune until my warranty ends). Installed the unit last night. Installation was very easy...took about 15 minutes or so (the hardest part was trying to secure the unit with the zip ties above the pedal, haha). I have a only driven the car a few miles (hope to test it further today), but I could definitely feel a difference in the throttle response. I know this doesn't add any HP or torque, but my car just feels "lighter" overall. Not sure if it's worth the asking price, but like I said, hope to do some more testing the weekend
Old 11/21/14, 10:18 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Keep us posted. I hope this is one of my winter purchases.
Old 11/21/14, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Varilux is indeed correct. This device goes between your throttle position sensor and the ECU itself.

I would advise against this device strongly. If unknown logic occurs in the device, it could cause a vehicle runaway condition. As the ECU sees this as driver input and does not consider other safety factors.

You can achieve the exact same performance as this device by getting a quality tune. If you don't believe me, I will be more than happy to send out a SCT tune to anyone that has this device for comparison at no charge.

As a previous OEM engineer, I would NOT buy this. Solely because of the safety factor.

Just my .02 cents
-Matt

Last edited by zeroaviation; 11/21/14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11/21/14, 11:40 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the information.
Old 11/21/14, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Matt raises an interesting point. For what its worth, I already had a Ford Racing ProCal tune on my '14 GT- and I still noticed an improvement with the PedalMax.

End of the day, I still notice an improvement with the PedalMax- even with a prior installed tune. I'm not sure why Ford built a "lag" into the factory throttle position sensor, but for whatever reason they did. PedalMax seems to resolve the lag- even after applying the Ford Racing tune. Perhaps other tunes are able to program away the throttle lag... once I am past my factory warranty- perhaps I'll find out (although I'm hoping the point will become moot- because if I keep my '14 that long I'll probably be installing a turbo- or super-charger).

My next mod is the BBK cold air intake (hoping the slightly improved intake flow will work well with the Ford Racing tune- but primarily looking for the "bling" of the CAI ).

Last edited by Varilux; 11/21/14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11/21/14, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Matt raises an interesting point. For what its worth, I already had a Ford Racing ProCal tune on my '14 GT- and I still noticed an improvement with the PedalMax.

PedalMax seems to resolve the lag- even after applying the Ford Racing tune. Perhaps other tunes are able to program away the throttle lag... once I am past my factory warranty- perhaps I'll find out (although I'm hoping the point will become moot- because if I keep my '14 that long I'll probably be installing a turbo- or super-charger).
You're assumptions are correct. The ProCal does not have aggressive Drive By Wire changes.

Using a custom tuner such as SCT or Diablo with a quality calibration is much much better.

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 11/21/14, 09:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I've really tried to feel for the throttle lag, and my 2014 just does not have it. The slightest touch of the pedal blips the RPMs.
Old 11/21/14, 10:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I've really tried to feel for the throttle lag, and my 2014 just does not have it. The slightest touch of the pedal blips the RPMs.
I only notice it while accelerating. I wouldn't call it throttle lag as much as torque management. It feels like the ECU is not opening the throttle as much as the pedal is telling it to under high load, and doesn't really open completely until you're fairly high in the RPM band.

I also verified this with my datalog after tuning (not that there's any question about it's existence...just sayin'). Pre tune the throttle was NOT always doing what the pedal was telling it to, post tune they are significantly more in line with each other.
Old 11/22/14, 09:51 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I only notice it while accelerating. I wouldn't call it throttle lag as much as torque management. It feels like the ECU is not opening the throttle as much as the pedal is telling it to under high load, and doesn't really open completely until you're fairly high in the RPM band.

I also verified this with my datalog after tuning (not that there's any question about it's existence...just sayin'). Pre tune the throttle was NOT always doing what the pedal was telling it to, post tune they are significantly more in line with each other.
I noticed the same thing with my factory tuned 2014 auto. Not so much of a lag when blipping the throttle. I notice it more when i'm cruising and give it 1/2-3/4 throttle to command a downshift. There's definitely some torque management going on there where not all ponies are being let out of the stable.
Old 11/23/14, 12:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
I would advise against this device strongly. If unknown logic occurs in the device, it could cause a vehicle runaway condition. As the ECU sees this as driver input and does not consider other safety factors.
I'm assuming this is just your opinion, and you have no evidence of this actually occurring.

Last edited by TommyV; 11/23/14 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11/23/14, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TommyV
I'm assuming this is just your opinion, and you have no evidence of this actually occurring.
Correct, I have not seen or heard of this happening. Knowing how it works, I am saying it could lead to an unsafe condition. The PCM and this device share no logical link, just analog input.

-Matt

PS. I have nothing to gain or lose from sharing my opinion on this product.

Last edited by zeroaviation; 11/23/14 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11/23/14, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Ditto. I have a steeda tune on my 2014 and as much as I tried I cant feel any throttle lag. That pedalmax seems to do the same thing that the Si Drive did in my Sti. Just changes throttle input relative to pedal position.
Old 11/23/14, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Varilux is indeed correct. This device goes between your throttle position sensor and the ECU itself.

You can achieve the exact same performance as this device by getting a quality tune. If you don't believe me, I will be more than happy to send out a SCT tune to anyone that has this device for comparison at no charge.

As a previous OEM engineer, I would NOT buy this. Solely because of the safety factor.

Just my .02 cents
-Matt
The owner of JMS is no rookie and I'm sure plenty of testing went into this product before it was released to the public.
Old 11/23/14, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
The owner of JMS is no rookie and I'm sure plenty of testing went into this product before it was released to the public.
I am sure a ton of testing went into the unit.

However, it does not change the fact of how it works, and its vulnerabilities.

-Matt
Old 11/23/14, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I am sure a ton of testing went into the unit.

However, it does not change the fact of how it works, and its vulnerabilities.

-Matt

That's your opinion.

Quick Reply: Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!