Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Improving '11+ GT Suspension - And keeping warranty

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/10, 03:05 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yes I know all of this I sold my 06 gt vert back to ford for a profit.
Old 9/19/10, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
That's not totally true. Adding a CAI (for example) does not void the warranty on your engine unless Ford can show that the mod was the reason for the engine failure/problem.
Ford can void your warranty for exactly that. If they want to. Likely? No. Possible? If they want it to be possible, it is. Remember, they're the ones calling the shot, not you.
Old 9/19/10, 03:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Ford can void your warranty for exactly that. If they want to. Likely? No. Possible? If they want it to be possible, it is. Remember, they're the ones calling the shot, not you.
Nope, you are the one calling the shot when it comes to these situations, you just have to be strong about it. The moss-magnuson act gives you the upper hand in these deals, all you have to do is use it.
Old 9/19/10, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Nope, you are the one calling the shot when it comes to these situations, you just have to be strong about it. The moss-magnuson act gives you the upper hand in these deals, all you have to do is use it.
LOL...You are pretty naive. If Ford thinks your mods caused a failure, it's YOU, not them that has to prove otherwise (despite the MM act).
This can be really expensive and take a LOT of time. Good luck on that.

On a more realistic note, what's going to break on a suspension that would be a manufacturers defect??? Any aftermarket parts are warranted by the manufacturer (sometimes for life). This is really a non-issue (except for the paranoid types)

Last edited by Modshack; 9/19/10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 9/19/10, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I hope you're joking.

Magnusson-Moss is not going to save your ***. Trust me, I tried to invoke its protections and didn't do squat for me.

You mod, you're gambling. Simple enough.
Old 9/19/10, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Modshack

On a more realistic note, what's going to break on a suspension that would be a manufacturers defect??? Any aftermarket parts are warranted by the manufacturer (sometimes for life). This is really a non-issue (except for the paranoid types)
Leaking dampers? Destroyed camber plates?

What am I going to do with my car while I'm trying to prove to Koni that I have a defective part? I realize it's pretty slim chance of that happening, but I think I'm just as concerned about finding a QUALITY suspension shop to install these non-Ford parts who won't bend me over as I am the warranty.
Old 9/19/10, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Leaking dampers? Destroyed camber plates?

What am I going to do with my car while I'm trying to prove to Koni that I have a defective part? I realize it's pretty slim chance of that happening, but I think I'm just as concerned about finding a QUALITY suspension shop to install these non-Ford parts who won't bend me over as I am the warranty.
First you assume responsibility for the mods you make.

Second, you learn to do it yourself so you're not held hostage by Ford or ANY shop for that matter.
Old 9/19/10, 04:05 PM

I have very little free time. My wrenching days are bygone, I would rather have a shop do it.
Old 9/19/10, 04:59 PM
Cobra R Member

So if you add aftermarket exhaust Ford can void you powertrain warranty??? According to some of you if Ford says the exhaust system caused your engine to fail then you are screwed. Does this make sense to anyone?
They, Ford, have to show that the mod caused the failure, otherwise that failed part is covered. End of story.
But do what ever you're comfortable with. Some people choose to live their lives in fear.
Old 9/19/10, 05:41 PM

I can see how they might think an aftermarket tune could cause an engine problem... not really a stretch. Mufflers, wheels, suspension are all safe to modify, imho. Probably returning it to stock tune would be smart before a service. I know guys who track Boxsters & 911s who have a second computer. Put in the spare, run the tune and hit the track. At the end of the day put your orig computer back in- warranty safe.

The dealer is not going to try and not cover a claim- they want to keep you as a customer and comming back to buy/ service cars. Ford pays them for covered work. I'm doing all of the above but am still on the fence for the tune. Probably wait 6 months/ 6k before doing it to be sure i don't have a problem engine.
Old 9/20/10, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Let's get this post back on topic for OP's sake... geezzzz....

Let's talk suspension here!!!!!
Old 9/20/10, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

The FRPP handling pack. I highly recommend