2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I keep getting locked out of gears :/

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/12 | 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Have the dealer check it out first, if they say it's ok, change the fluid to Amsoil MTG or Red Line MTL (I used the MTL) that will fix some of the issue, then check out Energy Suspensions urethane shifter bushing. I put this in my car and haven't missed a shift since. It's still the stock shifter and not near the quality of the MGW, but for my needs, this combo of the new bushing and the fluid swap cured my ills.

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionpart...sp?prod=4.1134
Old 11/23/12 | 09:25 PM

Redline MTL + Barton shift bracket solved it for me
Old 11/23/12 | 09:47 PM
Banned

How hard is it to change the bracket?
Old 11/23/12 | 11:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mopar?
How hard is it to change the bracket?
There's two bolts holding it on, but the driveshaft is in the way. You either have to work around the driveshaft with very little room or unbolt it.
Old 11/24/12 | 12:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
There's two bolts holding it on, but the driveshaft is in the way. You either have to work around the driveshaft with very little room or unbolt it.
Thanks for the info, before I do any of this I will change the tunes around and see what's up and if changing the tune helps, then thank god because I don't wanna spend any money for that right now. Car has been flawless before this.
Old 11/24/12 | 09:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would also change the fluid, and make sure the trans is warm before beating on it.
Old 11/24/12 | 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I would also change the fluid, and make sure the trans is warm before beating on it.
Yea after some testing today my 89 tune is faulty. Just waiting for the new one whenever they send it. Hopefully monday

I also did a long trip and the car stock gets 25 mpgs going 80-90mph and now with the 89 tune it gets 22mpgs are 65mph
Old 11/24/12 | 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Not to sound like im saying you can't drive, because i'm not...

But with such little km's on the car with you behind the seat, I really just think you need some practice with the transmission, your probably just hitting the gates.

I had it happen when I first got the car, the tranny is very very unforgiving...just get some more seat time, I garuntee you'll figure it out.
Old 11/24/12 | 08:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

There's a Barton shifter bracket on the Bay right now for 65 shipped. I'd pick it up and and solve the issue immediately.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 11/24/12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11/24/12 | 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LLZuB
Not to sound like im saying you can't drive, because i'm not...

But with such little km's on the car with you behind the seat, I really just think you need some practice with the transmission, your probably just hitting the gates.

I had it happen when I first got the car, the tranny is very very unforgiving...just get some more seat time, I garuntee you'll figure it out.
But i shift fine with one tune and not with the other. Not driver error. But i see your point.
Old 11/25/12 | 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Well that could be because you're trying to shift quicker with the 89 tune over the 87 tune since the revs are building quicker. I still say give it some more practice.

If its anything to do with the tranny I'd start with the bracket as that seems to be the weak point if you've ever seen the stock one you'd understand why some extra power could make it twist or move and cause shifting issues.

Good luck with whatever it ends up being, be sure to give us an update.

Last edited by LLZuB; 11/25/12 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11/26/12 | 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mopar?
Yea looks great and all but this is retarded when i just paid so much for a new sports car and it cant handle a little beating... ill try the open palm thing because i do grip it and try to dump it into second or third
How do you think Boss owners feel after laying out 45-50k with the same shifter? If money is an issue, by all means try one of the replacement brackets you can get, Barton and also I think Steeda makes one. Yeah the drive shaft is in the way, but if you have a lift or get the car up on jack stands you can do it yourself.

FWIW, the difference you get with an aftermarket shifter versus the OEM unit is night and day. Ford had to engineer 1 shifter from the base V6 all the way up to the Boss. Knowing that Ford sells at least 66% or more V6 models, where do you think they put the ergonomics of the shifter from a a design standpoint? Smooth and easy comfort, or a heavy duty and beefy design?

Here's a little vid I put together on the MGW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OirHe...ature=youtu.be
Old 11/26/12 | 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm still lost as too how you're pushing the blame on the tune, the tune and transmission(manual) never cross.......
Old 11/26/12 | 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slostang
I'm still lost as too how you're pushing the blame on the tune, the tune and transmission(manual) never cross.......
glad someone said it.
Old 11/26/12 | 12:36 PM
GT Member

Gear lockouts is definitely a characteristic of this manual tranny. Specially if you shift close to the rev limit. Its hit or miss and more time and experience will help reduce it.

I think that since getting a new tune that you may be pushing it too far into the limit where it causes the gear lockout. The aftermarket like MGW shifter can reduce it.

But for daily normal driving this shifter is nearly flawless. The engineers might have been focusing on this to keep costs down. I know this car is supposed to be high performance. But i feel that any kind of high powered application is good enough reason for it to void warranty. Took it to the drag strip and then afterwards something broke? Then its my fault for driving it too hard.

BTW i've taken this car in its stock form to the drag strip about 6 times across the country. From Virginia to texas. I hit 12.99 at SA raceway finally. Driven it up to washington state. Planning on hitting bremerton raceway. This car has treated me fine. And ive adjusted to that MT-82 quirkiness.

One can complain that we shouldnt have to deal with the MT-82 but then again overall for the money, you can have the kind of performance this car offers for cheap if you play your cards right.
Old 11/26/12 | 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

glad someone said it.
If you wanted to say it why hold back?

Im "blaming" it on the tune because it only happens with that certain tune, i change to another and its flawless. I go back and i get locked out. Coincidence? I dont think so.

I got it fixed now anyway.
Old 11/26/12 | 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ace72ace

How do you think Boss owners feel after laying out 45-50k with the same shifter? If money is an issue, by all means try one of the replacement brackets you can get, Barton and also I think Steeda makes one. Yeah the drive shaft is in the way, but if you have a lift or get the car up on jack stands you can do it yourself.

FWIW, the difference you get with an aftermarket shifter versus the OEM unit is night and day. Ford had to engineer 1 shifter from the base V6 all the way up to the Boss. Knowing that Ford sells at least 66% or more V6 models, where do you think they put the ergonomics of the shifter from a a design standpoint? Smooth and easy comfort, or a heavy duty and beefy design?

Here's a little vid I put together on the MGW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OirHe...ature=youtu.be
Yea id be furious if it was the boss! If the 15s dont appeal to me and my financial situation is much better i was gonna go for a boss too :/

Thanks for the video and that will be in the list of mods for sure but i dont track the car nor beat on it so its not necessary for now. Just a fun dd thats all
Old 11/26/12 | 02:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
glad someone said it.
In his defense there is apparently a way of tuning out the lockout, which would mean that the lockout is controlled by the ECU or TCM. So it is possible that if he got a tune and the ECU thought it could cause an issue with the trans it may lock you out to stop damage from being done.
Old 11/26/12 | 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon302

In his defense there is apparently a way of tuning out the lockout, which would mean that the lockout is controlled by the ECU or TCM. So it is possible that if he got a tune and the ECU thought it could cause an issue with the trans it may lock you out to stop damage from being done.
Thats exactly what happened. My last tune also had skip shift enabled when it shouldnt even be un the '13s

Everything is peachy now.
Old 11/26/12 | 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question has the MGW shifter changed since the ones made for the 05/06 ? My best friend has a MGW in his 2006 Mustang and I was not a fan of the feel. He loves it. I have not have had real issues with the stock shifter.