Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I either have the worst luck in the world or Ford just makes crappy cars

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/10, 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Update:They're changing transmission, clutch, shifter and it will take 2 weeks to get it done. I don't want to be part of that. Sorry. This is why I buy new, to avoid this crap.
why are they doing this? are they gonna sell it used to someone else?
Old 9/18/10, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Update:

The car had about 60 miles on it. A 70 year old man was sent as a DX driver to pick up the car. I know him personally and I can vouch that he drove it as his age suggests. Regardless, that's besides the point.

Service guys don't know what they're doing. It's a brand new transmission and parts guys don't even know any part numbers yet since it's so new. I don't want some schmuck working on the tranny that he knows nothing about and to be a first experiment on.

I have 2 options.

1. Get my money back, back out of deal.
2. Order a brand new GT from factory. Only downfall is, I have to wait 2 or more months for it but it will be built with all the options I want. The manager said that Ford is backed up with orders as of now due to a logistics issue.
However, since Ford is familiar with my name, they will keep paying for my current rental car until my factory car comes in.

I guess I will just go ahead and order it. The only downfall is waiting SO LONG and taking delivery in freaking winter. I also will probably lose on good financing I got, 2.5% but I guess we will see what happens down the road. This really sucks, I wanted to enjoy my new car. But everything happens for a reason.

They're changing transmission, clutch, shifter and it will take 2 weeks to get it done. I don't want to be part of that. Sorry. This is why I buy new, to avoid this crap.
Also, why did you say 300 miles originally? Please tell us who the dealership was.....
Old 9/18/10, 10:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Sorry to chime in late, but I wouldn't exactly go spend a lot of money on Lottery tickets if I was you.
Old 9/18/10, 11:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
Unreasonable to expect them to take it back when the transmission fails at SIXTY miles? I don't think so at all.
Totally agree
Old 9/19/10, 09:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
Unreasonable to expect them to take it back when the transmission fails at SIXTY miles? I don't think so at all.
Ok, that's got my button pressed.

Yes, totally unreasonable.

This is true of many items on a car: it's a modular design. The engine is one, the transmission is another, the body is a third, the axle is a fourth, the seats are fifth, etc. ad nauseum.

ONE MODULE fails... the whole car is junk?

Man. Can't think of what you'd do with a house. You must really have a hard time finding a perfect place to live. I can't think of any new or used house with this kind of amazing feature: One thing fails, say, a kitchen faucet, and the whole house is replaced.

This is the same concept. It's a complicated piece of machinery, and ONE thing is broken.

It does suck. It's made by humans. Humans are not infallible. Therefore, nothing they make is either. They will replace the transmission. The same as if they were to do it at 60000 or 150000 or whatever the mileage you'll need to HAVE THE CLUTCH REPLACED. Only it's the transmission too, not just the clutch, in this case, but it's a very simple, easily done procedure, and has been for decades. Something like 50 bolts and it's swapped.

This is the problem with the Best Buy way of doing business though... PERFECT, or I'm returning it yesterday, and I'll NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN!

This is the mentality of America I really, REALLY hate...

And yes, I'm involved because in the comptuer world that I work in... everything is like that. "NOW, dammit!"

Which is why my button was just pushed. Sorry.

Again, if you can get a new car and a free rental for the duration of the wait, as I said before, jump on it... for a transmission? Hell yeah.

Of course, on that car, the engine will have a hell of a knock. Or something. So... I think I'd take the transmission and the free car, myself. But that's just me.
Old 9/19/10, 09:36 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you should burn it and start over. its clearly junk
Old 9/19/10, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry to hear about your luck with Ford. I'm kind of in the same boat. My 2005 GT was great. However, my 2010 GT500 has been nothing but problems and now my 2011 Fiesta has issues as well. Good times with Ford!
Old 9/19/10, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
Ok, that's got my button pressed.

Yes, totally unreasonable.

This is true of many items on a car: it's a modular design. The engine is one, the transmission is another, the body is a third, the axle is a fourth, the seats are fifth, etc. ad nauseum.

ONE MODULE fails... the whole car is junk?
Nobody said the car was junk... just that he shouldn't have to wait around for Ford to fix something that broke the day after he bought it. If I had purchased that car, it may well have had 60 miles on it before I even got home with it. By your thinking, it wouldn't have mattered if it broke when he turned out of the dealer's lot... he's stuck with it, and driving a rental Focus that he may have had to beat the dealer over the head to provide while he waits for them to make it right. It's not like he got T-boned on the way home... the car is undriveable at 60 miles because it wasn't right. There are reasonable expectations when you buy a new car, and one of them is that the transmission will last a bit more than 60 miles. Or 300 miles, since there seems to be some question about the mileage.

The comparison to a leaky kitchen faucet in a new house is ridiculous.
Old 9/19/10, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
I did have a vehicle (2004 F150) replaced under warranty. It took some time, but it was made right. Ford has to follow through on inspections for multiple reasons. What failed, and why? If it's owner abuse, they don't want to pay. If it's someone that does have buyer's remorse, they don't want to pay. If it is a legitimate issue, they need to determine root cause. And just because the car only has a few hundred miles, there is no guarantee that it wasn't raced, wrecked, modified (and possibly returned to stock), or otherwise altered. They can't simply take your word for it, so they'll take the time to understand.

As far as replacement, as stated above, you don't pitch the whole because one part isn't working. Ever made a mistake at work? Did you expect to be paid for that day anyway? Possibly for a chance to fix whatever went wrong?

I'll simplify it even more - ever grilled a hamburger and over cooked it? Did you toss the whole meal, all the burgers, buns, toppings and everything? Or did you toss the one defective burger and enjoy the rest of the meal?
Old 9/19/10, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you guys think Ford delivering a brand new car that has a major drivetrain component failure at well under 500 miles is acceptable, and something the new owner who just plopped down in excess of an entire average annual wage on should have to subsidize, (yes, subsidize by not having the use of the brand new car they paid/are paying for, for an extended period of time, and when the get it back it is "repaired" with "replacement" parts, not factory original as it rolled off the showroom floor, and has uncompensated diminished value) I think you are mistaken.

This is a Ford Mustang, not micro$oft Windows for crying out loud. The rigorous R&D, testing and inspecting and generally outstanding craftsmanship that go into rolling a brand new Mustang off the line and into customers hands generally works very very well! When it does not, Ford should step up to the plate and do the right thing.

No matter what your particular quirks with the computer industry, which really does not compare with the automotive industry in anyway, there is a reason a "branded title car" has half the value or less (if you can find a buyer) of an original unrepaired car. You do not have to like it or agree with it, the fact is when Ford has a major system failure on a brand spanking new car like that and repairs it there is real diminished value involved that apparently Ford, you and other posters believe the original poster ssimaniac should just eat.

This repaired diminished value doesn't even touch on things like half-assed work being done when the dealerships guys "repair" the thing. For another thread, but I had the driveshaft come loose on one of my trucks shortly after Ford paid for a dealerships "technicians" to replace an engine, and they didn't put it back together properly. That same truck lost two over $700 (total repair bill each occurrence) electric cooling fans and associated fixtures too because they broke some of the retainers for the plugs/wires and it never got reinstalled properly until the third time after my truck overheated pulling a 40 foot trailer over 800 miles from home...

How do you put a value on having to fight with the dealership to get them to pay for repairing things their own shoddy workmanship caused after the original repair???

You really believe Ford should be able to repair it, toss the owner into a cheap rental, taking however long (in my case over a month, not counting the three additional repairs to fix the shoddy workmanship from the original repair) to "maybe" (keep your fingers crossed) repair this brand new Mustang back to hopefully original condition.

All the while the owner does not have use of his formally brand new car, and once he gets it back and now has a "repaired" not "as new" original car, and worse will forever wonder what did not get put back together properly and what/when it will fail next.

This has absolutely nothing to do with houses, hamburgers or computers, your analogies miss the mark.

You guys think that is OK? You are mistaken.

I think Ford Motor Company should eat it. Take the car back and replace it with a different NEW Mustang, they can sell the used "repaired" Mustang for what they can get for it. We all know that will be a diminished value.

If as some of you seem to believe there is no diminished value, Ford looses nothing, and has a happy customer for life.

Last edited by Black GT500; 9/19/10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 9/19/10, 01:16 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black GT500
This repaired diminished value doesn't even touch on things like half-assed work being done when the dealerships guys "repair" the thing.
Yeah between the "best body shop in town" for my 08, and a brand X Dealer for a simple issue for my new 10 winter car, I have had to go back 5 times to each place. That has been 10+ days out of my summer.

Doesn't anyone inspect their work anymore?? Isn't any American worker accountable anymore?? Bunch of no count lazy slobs.

I have always double and triple checked my work before I leave the customers business - because it would be ME having to go back on my time to fix my work. So I check it.

If the workers at these two companies (that have 'good' reputations) would have simply inspected the work they just did, I would have had each repair done in ONE visit.

American slobs. And I'm All American all the time, but come on dammit!!!
Old 9/19/10, 01:57 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
Sorry to hear about your luck with Ford. I'm kind of in the same boat. My 2005 GT was great. However, my 2010 GT500 has been nothing but problems and now my 2011 Fiesta has issues as well. Good times with Ford!
whats up with the fiesta?
Old 9/19/10, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco

American slobs. And I'm All American all the time, but come on dammit!!!
It's got nothing to do with American, it has to do with the world market and the downward spiral to less cost. Japanese and Korean and Chinese _______ (insert cars/products/etc here) all suffer the same problems. It's easy to build 1000 of something and get good quality, build a million and the beancounters take over. And it's never pretty.

This is what the world has become, flybynight contractors and Walmart. We love all our crap and cheap prices. It's hard to motivate some dude working in a bodyshop or garage to take pride in his work when he's getting paid crap (don't be fooled by the $100/hr shop charge, the mechanic isn't making that) and his boss is riding him to do more for less.
Old 9/19/10, 02:17 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
It's got nothing to do with American, it has to do with the world market and the downward spiral to less cost. Japanese and Korean and Chinese _______ (insert cars/products/etc here) all suffer the same problems.
But I'm not talking about the issues from the manufacturer be it American or foreign.

I'm talking about my American neighbors who are in charge of repairing the issue. If they'd put down their beer, or text machine, or whatever... and pay the ef attention to details, and then INSPECT their work (because anyone can make a mistake first time thru) BEFORE returning it to the customer, I'd have no gripe in the game.
Old 9/19/10, 02:54 PM
Banned

i understood what you meant, what I mean is that "pride in your workmanship" often equals "money"; and nobody wants to pay it. Not the customer, not the insurance companies (in the case of bodywork) not the auto companies (in the case of warranty work).

When I do electrical side work, I charge by the hour. I give an estimate based on what I figure the job would take to be done right. I don't compete or match competitive offers. It's my take it or leave it price. Why? Because it's not my primary source of income, and my reputation means more to me than the few dollars that I make. I don't need to do a half assed job because I'm not rushing to get to the next job.

And you know what? I do OK; but that said, I've turned away business which is something that a business owner can afford.

It's unfortunate that full fledged businesses don't have that luxury. If they ran their business the same way I do they wouldn't be in business long.
Old 9/19/10, 03:04 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
i understood what you meant, what I mean is that "pride in your workmanship" often equals "money"; and nobody wants to pay it. Not the customer, not the insurance companies (in the case of bodywork) not the auto companies (in the case of warranty work).
OK Understood. I think the flat rate must be pretty tight and so they are working too quickly. But in the end these guys paid anyway because they had to come back and make it right.
Pride of workmanship used to be everything in this Country's workforce.
Old 9/19/10, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Blah blah blah...Quite a few Philosophers in this thread. Stuff happens, fix it or replace it and move on. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by Modshack; 9/19/10 at 03:40 PM.
Old 9/19/10, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Pride of workmanship used to be everything in this Country's workforce.
Used to be a day where we worked together for our common good and not sell your neighbour out for pesos on the dollar (pun intended). Sadly, things have changed and it doesn't look like it's going to change back anytime soon.
Old 9/19/10, 03:34 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Modshack
Blah blah blah...Quite a few Philosophers in this thread. Stuff happens, fix it or replace in and move on. It's as simple as that.
Well... that's my point exactly. FIX IT! And don't waste my time because of being a slacker so that I have to come back - repeatedly.
Old 9/19/10, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
would like to know about fiesta also...what issues you having? (mother was thinking about buying one)

Quick Reply: I either have the worst luck in the world or Ford just makes crappy cars