2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

I am disturbed how easily my Red Candy clearcoat gets scratches and swirls

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/11 | 04:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah, you should see mine after a new england winter parked outside using brushes to remove the snow . . . it's a crying shame.

(but I still say I'd rather have a stang and drive it through the winter than not have one at all)

I need to do some serious restoration in the spring, whenever that comes . . . right now I still have about 1-1/2 feet of frozen solid snow on the ground . . . and will need to break out all the best stuff when the time comes.

What is a "gritt guard" ? I'm guessing that is a screen that goes in the bottom of the bucket so the grit sinks below and doesn't get recycled into the wash mit? I do use two buckets but don't have a "grit guard", sounds like a good idea.
Here 'ya go !

http://www.gritguard.com/
Old 2/28/11 | 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah its not new and I did the newspaper thing. These are def scratches in the clearcoat. Usually can't notice unless in very bright light but it still bugs me.

And does a gritguard let you use only one bucket?
Old 2/28/11 | 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
A PC is out of the question due to the fact I am in a crowded underground condo garage.

I do my washes by hand or use a touchless car wash. I confess ONE TIME I did use a car wash with brushes and bristles, but I didn't know it had it. I thought it was touchless but by the time I got into the conveyor belt it was too late.

I bought a scratch remover (I forget the name, will look it up when I get home) at an auto store which I remember getting good reviews. Arghh can't remember.

Before I use my scratch remover (or 3M Finesse-it or whatever), do I need to strip away the wax/sealant or will it do that for me?
I live in a townhouse with no garage. I have been using Optimum No Rinse car wash for over a year now. I love the stuff more than a traditional car wash. You can see the dirt lift off the paint and run off.

And you shouldn't have to do any prep before the scratch remover beside a wash.

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
All of us NOVA guys should get together and collaborate to fix this issue
I'm down for this. There is a "Do It Yourself" shop out in Sterling that I use. Has multiple lifts and a few bays where you can detail at. They charge $15/hr for the detailing bay. There is where I take my car when I want to use my PC and do a good detail since I don't have a garage.

I could bring my PC up there and we could see what it takes to get the problem solved and you can borrow it to do the rest of the car.

http://www.ditymechanics.com/

I live eighteen miles from DC (fairfax/annandale area) and it's terrrrrrrrrible traffic.

The garage is awesome when it snows/rains, but it's dusty. Gotta California duster it every 2 days or so.

Part of the reason I got a Mustang is cause every rich snob (which is most people in nova) drives a BMW/Lexus/Acura. Booooooooring. If I lived in some rural town I'd probably have gotten a fancy import.

Just tryin' to stand out.
I bought a Mustang in this area for the same reason. I was close to buying a G37S but that would just blend in. I like how the newer Mustangs are a rare sight here.

As for the California Car Duster, you have to make sure you are only using on light dust. If you are using it after a little rain gets on it that can cause damage. I only use my CCD if the car was freshly washed.
Old 2/28/11 | 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah its not new and I did the newspaper thing. These are def scratches in the clearcoat. Usually can't notice unless in very bright light but it still bugs me.

If you are using one bucket, get one. Two buckets, get two gritt guards.
Old 2/28/11 | 07:04 PM
GT Member

or try these guys. It looks like they can put a shine on anything.

http://belladetailing.com/

(not an endorsement, their cars simply look gorgeous)
Old 2/28/11 | 07:44 PM
GTR Member

Dan, you beat me to it. I haven't been near my PC all day to post the link.

You guys that are all close should have a spring detail party. I did these with some Mazda guys, and 3-4 guys can knock out cars like you wouldn't believe. As long as one of you knows proper techniques, you'll be fine.
Old 2/28/11 | 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

[QUOTE=montreal ponies;6021998]Here 'ya go !
QUOTE]

thanks!
Old 2/28/11 | 07:58 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Overboost
Dan, you beat me to it. I haven't been near my PC all day to post the link.

You guys that are all close should have a spring detail party. I did these with some Mazda guys, and 3-4 guys can knock out cars like you wouldn't believe. As long as one of you knows proper techniques, you'll be fine.
That would be fun.
Old 2/28/11 | 08:05 PM
Post *****

I'm not sure how the gritguard is even effective. I have fine dust that mixes with the water and nothing settles in my bucket. I just keep an eye on the water and dump & refill as needed. Just have to keep an eye on it.
For ex - if my car is extra dirty I change the rinse water 2 -3 times for the entire car. Plus before I plunge the mitt into the water I spray it off with the hose first. I try not to enter any grit from the mitt into the rinse water. Plus I think the pressure spray keeps any small stuff from hiding in the mitt. And I always do the rocker panel area last so the mitt is done for the day.
2-1gal buckets are the ticket. IMO

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/28/11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 2/28/11 | 08:08 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I'm not sure how the gritguard is even effective. I have fine dust that mixes with the water and nothing settles in my bucket. I just keep an eye on the water and dump & refill as needed.
For ex - if my car is extra dirty I change the rinse water 2 -3 times for the entire car. Plus before I plunge the mitt into the water I spray it off with the hose first. I try not to enter any gritt from the mitt into the rinse water plus I think the pressure spray keeps any small stuff from hiding in the mitt.
2-1gal buckets are the ticket.
Most of the time the fine dust will be absorbed into the sponge/mitt you're using. You should also take care not to drop or store your sponge/mitt on the ground. Don't use the same sponge that you use on your wheels either.

The ultimate goal in cleaning is to minimize contact with the surface as much as possible. Any time you touch it, you're going to have the possibility to induce marring/swirls onto the paint.

And yes, detail meets are a lot of fun. I highly recommend them.
Old 3/1/11 | 06:25 AM
Banned

I agree, NOVA guys need to do a Spring detail party. I live pretty close to Sterling, would love to check out that area.