Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How often do you do oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/13, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often do you do oil Change?

If i bought a car @ 4713 miles and ford will honor 15K or 1year oil change i am already @ 9300 until i fix my fiances BMW ( which broke down ) I am putting 120 Miles a day.

I will need another oil change @ 10K are you guys doing yours every 5K?

Should ford honor it till 15K?

or past the 15K since i got the car @ 4700 miles?

Old 3/26/13, 08:46 PM
Banned

When the manufacturer recommends. 9300ish on the car now. Due for it's first oil change in 700 miles.
Old 3/26/13, 09:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Follow the manual, or the % on the oil meter.
Old 3/26/13, 09:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you like pouring money into your car do every 3k like the old school guys.
Old 3/27/13, 04:29 AM
Cobra Member

Changing full or synthetic blend oil at 3k is silly. It's no longer 5 qts of dino juice, it's 8 qts of synthetic. You can always get your oil tested at 10k miles and see how much life it has left.
Old 3/27/13, 04:35 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
Changing full or synthetic blend oil at 3k is silly. It's no longer 5 qts of dino juice, it's 8 qts of synthetic. You can always get your oil tested at 10k miles and see how much life it has left.
Yep. X 1000
Old 3/27/13, 04:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
If you like pouring money into your car do every 3k like the old school guys.
Which is a waste with the oils we have today. Back in the days of 'dyno" oil, 3K was correct. Today, your tossing money away. Time for new school.
Old 3/27/13, 05:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Which is a waste with the oils we have today. Back in the days of 'dyno" oil, 3K was correct. Today, your tossing money away. Time for new school.

Lol says everyone who does not take apart peoples cars for a living.

You guys ever seen a valve galley with 10k oil changes?

Old school is still the safest way you ensure absolute cleanliness inside your top end.
Old 3/27/13, 06:04 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteWinged

Old school is still the safest way you ensure absolute cleanliness inside your top end.
I take apart peoples cars.

The "valve galley" is now in the valve cover...

Newer engines using the recommended oil for the 10,000 miles are plenty clean.
If your one that tracks your car or daily hits redline i wouldnt recommend 10k mile changes.

Even my 97 is good for 5,000 (if not more) mile oil changes. If i pull the oil out at 3,000 i can still see thru it.

And fun side note. Vw now recommends 15,000 miles on thier oil changes. And we are worried about 10,000??? :Lol:

Last edited by texastboneking; 3/27/13 at 06:20 AM.
Old 3/27/13, 07:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
I take apart peoples cars.

The "valve galley" is now in the valve cover...

Newer engines using the recommended oil for the 10,000 miles are plenty clean.
If your one that tracks your car or daily hits redline i wouldnt recommend 10k mile changes.

Even my 97 is good for 5,000 (if not more) mile oil changes. If i pull the oil out at 3,000 i can still see thru it.

And fun side note. Vw now recommends 15,000 miles on thier oil changes. And we are worried about 10,000??? :Lol:

lol yes the valve cover seals the valve galley thats a given. So to rephrase my post if you drive your car aggressively at all or even spirited you will build sludge and may cause problems. I will concede to the logic that you may be alright changing your oil around 7k if you drive like a grandma. Im a huge nut for a spotless and perfectly taken care of top and bottom end. 100 bucks every 3k miles is not something that will break that resolve.

Fun side note VW's are notorious in the industry for being a piece of crap just like Toyota. 15000 mile oil changes will only make it that much more likely to repeat that cycle. Que consumer brainwashed rant about toyota's and Vw's being bulletproof 3....2....1....

Last edited by WhiteWinged; 3/27/13 at 07:13 AM.
Old 3/27/13, 07:26 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

lol yes the valve cover seals the valve galley thats a given. So to rephrase my post if you drive your car aggressively at all or even spirited you will build sludge and may cause problems. I will concede to the logic that you may be alright changing your oil around 7k if you drive like a grandma. Im a huge nut for a spotless and perfectly taken care of top and bottom end. 100 bucks every 3k miles is not something that will break that resolve.

Fun side note VW's are notorious in the industry for being a piece of crap just like Toyota. 15000 mile oil changes will only make it that much more likely to repeat that cycle. Que consumer brainwashed rant about toyota's and Vw's being bulletproof 3....2....1....
I watched cars come in at the dealer all day with 7000-11000 miles all day from mustangs to f150s. And i promise you not all those were grandma driven.

Its not 1960s any more man. Engines burn way cleaner. Oil breaks down much slower. You can do 10k pretty easy in todays cars.

100$ an oil change?!? Glad mines free... Thats rediculous.

I would never drive a toyota or a vw. So no rant here.
Old 3/27/13, 07:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I have read from a very reliable sorce that reg non syn oil is good for 5k no dobt about it. Full sny has to do better than that by far.
Old 3/27/13, 07:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
I watched cars come in at the dealer all day with 7000-11000 miles all day from mustangs to f150s. And i promise you not all those were grandma driven.

Its not 1960s any more man. Engines burn way cleaner. Oil breaks down much slower. You can do 10k pretty easy in todays cars.

100$ an oil change?!? Glad mines free... Thats rediculous.

I would never drive a toyota or a vw. So no rant here.

I use expensive oil what can I say. There are so many factors that go into why you should change your oil and when this question is kinda pointless unless you give us exact details on how far when and where you go. Every single day.
Old 3/27/13, 07:57 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I use expensive oil what can I say. There are so many factors that go into why you should change your oil and when this question is kinda pointless unless you give us exact details on how far when and where you go. Every single day.
If your oil comes out clear it's too early....
Old 3/27/13, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you?

And I'm not talking about some iron block engine from the 80s using dino oil either, have you ever actually seen the inside of a modern engine running purely synthetic oil with a recommended 10,000k oil change?

From your "sludge" comment I suspect you haven't.

Most synthetic oils include detergents that are specifically made to clean out sludge. In fact it's not uncommon for people with high mileage cars that have used dino oils to suddenly develop oil leaks when switching to synthetic oils because the detergents clean out all of the sludge that was keeping the engine sealed.
Old 3/27/13, 08:14 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
Have you?

And I'm not talking about some iron block engine from the 80s using dino oil either, have you ever actually seen the inside of a modern engine running purely synthetic oil with a recommended 10,000k oil change?

Most synthetic oils include detergents that are specifically made to clean out sludge. In fact it's not uncommon for people with high mileage cars that have used dino oils to suddenly develop oil leaks when switching to synthetic oils because the detergents clean out all of the sludge that was keeping the engine sealed.

youve obviously read an article somewhere lol. Yes Ive seen about 17180 modern engines opened up. Most recently a V8 6.1 Hemi Hemi 3 06-08 V8 OHV, 8 spark plugs, Hemi 90 degree, with EGR
Old 3/27/13, 08:17 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
Have you?

Look guys I understand where your getting all of what your saying I really do for years you have been fed the marketing ploy that our modern engines are designed for high mileage oil changes. Thats fine and you can do what you believe Ill do what I believe I was only stating my own grumpy opinion.

The point is I love mustangs and I am very particular about all of the things that are done to mine
Old 3/27/13, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

I just rolled over 5000 today....$120 later, my new 9qt.oil/filter is out for delivery today. I will be changing it out this weekend. I am pretty pumped about it
Old 3/27/13, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Look guys I understand where your getting all of what your saying I really do for years you have been fed the marketing ploy that our modern engines are designed for high mileage oil changes. Thats fine and you can do what you believe Ill do what I believe I was only stating my own grumpy opinion.

The point is I love mustangs and I am very particular about all of the things that are done to mine
Well Said Paul.
Old 3/27/13, 09:05 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

How is it a marketing ploy when every automaker recommends higher than 3000 miles??? Why would they do that? They have to warranty all these "sludged" up engines lol

Quick Reply: How often do you do oil Change?