Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How Much Is Enough???

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/10, 01:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Much Is Enough???

I've head a lot of people saying that they are not going for the 2011, or are happy with their 2010 because it's a great looking car and 315hp is enough power for practical purposes.

As well, I have seen quite a few people saying that they aren't seriously interested in any upcoming special editions because a 412hp GT will be more than enough power.

The questions then is, how much power is enough? How much power does the "average" Mustang buyer need or want? Are we coming close to hitting the ceiling of what is necessary or practical in a day to day car? We are now driving the kids to school in cars that are quicker than big block muscle cars of the 60s!

I realize there are a minority of people for which nothing is enough, but for most people a 12/13 second car is more than enough to have their fun with. Is there a practical limit to it? Are we there yet?
Old 1/15/10, 01:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Granted but the Camaro caused the increase in HP. Sales will tell what people want. The Mustang could not survive with the antiquated powertrains and engines.
Old 1/15/10, 01:20 AM
Cobra Member

good point, clino.i never thought id ever see a Mustang GT exceeding 400hp. now im wondering about the future like we will see another increase in power for the GT, or will power even change at all..only time will tell.
Old 1/15/10, 03:59 AM
V6 Member

I personally think you're going to find a different answer from every person on this. For me, 412 horsepower would be enough -- but I have other reasons I desire the new 2011 Ford Mustang GT. The 5.0 power plant isn't just historical, but it's also a fantastic new platform.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- we are witnessing the last muscle car war. For a lot of us, including me and the friends I had the joy of running with in Austin, we only heard about the 1970 battle between our Ford Mustang with its Boss and Mach 1, the Chevrolet Camaro and Chevelle, the Pontiac GTO and Trans Am, and the Dodge Charger and Challenger. If you think that this'll last more than a few years, I highly doubt it (but I could be wrong). For me, it's not so much about the power, so much as it is about being part of something unique, and being part of something that has very deep, heart-warming meaning to me.

There will be two road trips for certain in my new 5.0 when I get it -- one coming back from Pennsylvania, which'll be a short one -- but during the actual summer of 2011, I want to go up the West coast, along the northern country (I want to see the Nevada desert and drive down the highway during a warm summer night with a full moon, and to see Las Vegas/Reno), and visit Flat Rock, Michigan to see where my baby was created (I want a picture of me and Gabrielle 3.0 outside the actual plant if they'll let me), and I want to come back down through the East coast and deep South, preferably during the fall. I've heard that the South during the fall, particularly places like Arkansas, upper Alabama/Georgia, Missouri, etc., are gorgeous in autumn.

And along the way, I'll stop and have lunch with as many fellow TMS members as I can!
Old 1/15/10, 04:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know HP #'s to most guys is about ego and bragging rights. It like having the biggest d*** or the biggest muscles or the most money. Most will never take the car to the track or have a street race or exceed 80mph.
To me my 300HP GT with a tune is fast enough for what i do. I do not race and most of the time i have my 6yr old daughter in the back. But would i love to have the 5.0? Sure. I have Testosterone.
The thing is this GT, Camaro and Challenger will need this much HP because of the weight of these cars. If future rumor is true the Mustang may only gain weight not lose it so more HP to keep it competetive. The Camaro and Challenger will need 450+ just to keep up with this Mustang and run consistant high 12's.
We will hit a wall somewhere and it will get back to reality. Most likely when gas is 5 bucks a gallon.
Old 1/15/10, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Everyone always wants more, but my concern is can they handle more? Can an average v6 owner handle having a 300hp rwd car, especially since here in Canada, a lot of the V6 owners will still use their mustangs as winter cars
Old 1/15/10, 07:03 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas Red
I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- we are witnessing the last muscle car war.

Don't kid yourself.
The weapons may change, but the war stays the same.
Old 1/15/10, 07:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

We will just be battling with 4cyl turbo's.
Old 1/15/10, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Whatever the GT comes with at the time I'm ready to buy will be "how much is enough" for me.

I'm not a complicated man.
Old 1/15/10, 07:40 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
We will just be battling with 4cyl turbo's.
I agree with you. I feel in 12-15 years, V-8's will only be in the special edition Mustangs.
Old 1/15/10, 07:45 AM
GTR Member

I think you'll see a shift to more V6's than before, mainly with the new 305hp engine. That's a start. The V8 will slowly gain, mainly due to the new technologies that will be used and slowly continue to squeak out more and more power out of the motor.

The muscle car wars will never go away, and right now, we're smack in the middle of them.
Old 1/15/10, 07:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

As long as we have men with small *****'s we will have high HP.
Old 1/15/10, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

For some 412 is too much but for others 412 is just a drop in the bucket. There is always going to be that guy who wants more power.
Old 1/15/10, 08:20 AM
GTR Member

As cars gain weight, that power figure will have to go up to compensate as well. But, as said, enthusiasts will always crave more power, better handling, etc., but the general public will be content with 412hp.
Old 1/15/10, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For me, once you get below 5 seconds for a 0-60 time, that's fast enough. Sure, more speed is potentially more fun but once you've hit that under-5 benchmark other things take precedence over more speed. Things like fuel economy, ergonomics, comfort, and style. For instance, as awesome as a 2009 Shelby GT500 is, I'd rather have a 2011 Mustang GT because it's interior is so much nicer. Especially with Sync and navigation.
Old 1/15/10, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
315hp is probably too much for me. I'm not waiting on the '11 for more power. I'm waiting because my financial situation didn't allow me to order a '10 the way I wanted and there aren't any on the lots with the exact color/option combo I want. But I know that if I get a '10, once I get used to the power...I'd want more lol. I just wish I could have ordered a '10 and gotten all these discounts to save up for a SC. If I end up with an '11 I'm ordering the exact way I want it and only going to do exhaust, suspension/wheels and my stereo. Maybe a good dyno tune. That's it. I know I won't new more than 400 crank hp. Especially for my commute.
Old 1/15/10, 08:39 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
As long as we have men with small *****'s we will have high HP.
What? Was this a post meant for your therapist or something? I hate when someone tries to make a correlation between big trucks, fast cars and other fancy material possessions to someone who's "lacking" in some regard.

Old 1/15/10, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
What? Was this a post meant for your therapist or something? I hate when someone tries to make a correlation between big trucks, fast cars and other fancy material possessions to someone who's "lacking" in some regard.

Then im screwed dude. I own and breed Mastiffs also.
Old 1/15/10, 10:14 AM

This is a great topic and I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking about this. I recently purchased a 2010 GT with the Track Pack and I'm happier than a pig in sh*t. With that said, in a perfect world with unlimited funds I would love to have more, more, more. But since, for me anyway, money is not unlimited, I have to be realistic. 300+ horsepower in a beautiful looking Mustang is enough for me. Gas is already high enough and the city mileage already low enough. The insurance on 300+ HP is certainly high enough. I quiver to think about 400+. Ultimately, I'm a lover of all things Mustang. So would I swap my car straight up for a 2011? I'm not sure, I'd have to think about it.
Old 1/15/10, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Mach1
This is a great topic and I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking about this. I recently purchased a 2010 GT with the Track Pack and I'm happier than a pig in sh*t. With that said, in a perfect world with unlimited funds I would love to have more, more, more. But since, for me anyway, money is not unlimited, I have to be realistic. 300+ horsepower in a beautiful looking Mustang is enough for me. Gas is already high enough and the city mileage already low enough. The insurance on 300+ HP is certainly high enough. I quiver to think about 400+. Ultimately, I'm a lover of all things Mustang. So would I swap my car straight up for a 2011? I'm not sure, I'd have to think about it.
It's tough to short change the 4.6 three valve engine. Though it came out of the box with 300 h/320 trq you can buy some very reliable blower kits that will bring you well into the 500 horse range.