Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help Steeda CAI & Tune

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/11, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I will find out tomorrow... believe me they dont want to see me up there if thats what happened.

My Fiancee curbed my wheels on the 2010 and I blew up at him so much he is scared to drive my car anymore..
Old 2/16/11, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

???? it's a simple process, step by step instructions on the tuner. DO NOT TURN ON THE CAR...turn KEY TO ON POSITION.
Old 2/16/11, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrissy0022
hahaha... thank you Boys... Lets take every opportunity to make fun of the little blonde girl who you assume knows nothing about cars...
No, we had no idea what colour your hair was.

TBH, I just wanted to establish whether or not the car was running when they were trying to flash it; flashing while running is a nono that even a rookie tech should know. If the SCT managed to pull/store the original stock tune from the PCM before it started to reflash, if you can get it back in program mode you should be ok; worst case scenario you can reload the original and try to load the Steeda again.

The reason you don't flash while the car is running is because as the car runs the PCM is getting feedback from the engine and constantly tweaking based on feedback data. When you flash the PCM it overwrites the data table AND the instructions of what to do with that data to make the engine run. Trying to upload the tune while it is running is like trying to change your clothes while you're driving down the interstate at 100mph.

The key should be on but the car shouldn't be running when the flash is done.
Old 2/16/11, 08:37 PM

Thank you Sparky I know all of that that's why I am Asking what could have gone wrong...

would do the work myself but they do everything there for me just at half of labor cost so its not worth my time.. hell i am even getting them to install my oracle HID kit cause they are only charging $25 for them to install it and hell thats better than me fooling with it for an hour or so and worrying about touching the bulbs..

The only thing I can think is that they were taking the chip and the tuner from my 2010 GT and they had to get a program update from Steeda.. Only thing that comes to mind is maybe he didn't download that update... But still dont see why it would shut down the whole car..
Old 2/16/11, 08:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first reason that you can't do the tune with it running is that you have to first download the stock tune to the tuner so it can be saved. Car won't run with no tune on it. Then you upload the new tune.

Doing that with the car running would create all kinds of havoc in the pcm.
Old 2/16/11, 09:02 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
So she is a blonde...........Oh crap............so am i
Old 2/16/11, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by David Young
So she is a blonde...........Oh crap............so am i
Funny...
Old 2/16/11, 09:07 PM
GTR Member

Can we turn this into a "Blondes Jokes" thread?

My favorite, "Did you hear about the two blondes that walked into the building? You'd think that one of them would have seen it..."
Old 2/16/11, 09:10 PM

uhhh no... back to topic....

can someone address this?

The only thing I can think is that they were taking the chip and the tuner from my 2010 GT and they had to get a program update from Steeda.. Only thing that comes to mind is maybe he didn't download that update... But still dont see why it would shut down the whole car..
Old 2/16/11, 09:33 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good to hear you have a good relationship with the dealer. I was afraid that if your engine was damaged , God forbid, they'd give you crap about modding it and so forth.

Hopefully they get it straightened out tomorrow
Old 2/16/11, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Can we turn this into a "Blondes Jokes" thread?

My favorite, "Did you hear about the two blondes that walked into the building? You'd think that one of them would have seen it..."
Blondes are smart also....

There was a blonde who found herself sitting next to a Lawyer on an airplane. The lawyer just kept bugging the blonde wanting her to play a game of intelligence. Finally, the lawyer offered her 10 to 1 odds, and said every time the blonde could not answer one of his questions, she owed him $5, but every time he could not answer hers, he'd give her $50.00. The lawyer figured he could not lose, and the blonde reluctantly accepted.

The lawyer first asked, "What is the distance between the Earth and the nearest star?"

Without saying a word the blonde handed him $5. then the blonde asked, "What goes up a hill with 3 legs and comes back down the hill with 4 legs?"

Well, the lawyer looked puzzled. He took several hours, looking up everything he could on his laptop and even placing numerous air-to-ground phone calls trying to find the answer. Finally, angry and frustrated, he gave up and paid the blonde $50.00

The blonde put the $50 into her purse without comment, but the lawyer insisted, "What is the answer to your question?"

Without saying a word, the blonde handed him $5.
Old 2/16/11, 09:47 PM
GTR Member

If that was the case then the tuner would not even let them start, it would pop up a message that the tuner wasn't compatible with the car's pcm.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/16/11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 2/16/11, 10:10 PM
Banned

For the record my favorite blonde joke has the punchline "We're all going to Dallas! We're all going to Dallas!"

But I digress ...

Ltngdrvr is correct if the SCT isn't compatible with your PCM it should warn you before trying to flash.

But to answer your question, most tuners 1) download the original tune to the tuner 2) wipe the EEPROM 3) Upload the new tune. If the car was running when it went to upload the new tune there might have been data still on the EEPROM when it tried to upload and crashed, corrupting the data and settings in the PCM. That can cause it to die and not start.
Old 2/16/11, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
For the record my favorite blonde joke has the punchline "We're all going to Dallas! We're all going to Dallas!"

But I digress ...

Ltngdrvr is correct if the SCT isn't compatible with your PCM it should warn you before trying to flash.

But to answer your question, most tuners 1) download the original tune to the tuner 2) wipe the EEPROM 3) Upload the new tune. If the car was running when it went to upload the new tune there might have been data still on the EEPROM when it tried to upload and crashed, corrupting the data and settings in the PCM. That can cause it to die and not start.

Lets just hope I have some good news tomorrow....
Old 2/17/11, 08:31 AM

Ok so here is the word.

The tuner did not recognize the VIN # so basically ford has it set up that if you steal a tuner you can use it on another car so that why it shutdown. they are working on fixing that now since the tuner is the one i had previously from my 2010 mustang
Old 2/17/11, 08:35 AM
Banned

Ok so here is the word.

The tuner did not recognize the VIN # so basically ford has it set up that if you steal a tuner you can use it on another car so that why it shutdown. they are working on fixing that now since the tuner is the one i had previously from my 2010 mustang
Hadn't you unlocked it from the '10?
Old 2/17/11, 08:56 AM

i just handed the tuner over to them when I traded in the 2010 they had a bunch of other after market mods i wanted transferred to the new car also... i guess they forgot to do that
Old 2/17/11, 09:08 AM
Banned

When you flash a car, it locks the tuner to that VIN. To get it to unlock you either have to reflash the original car with the original tune; or you have to pay SCT to unlock it, which usually involves sending in the tuner to them.
Old 2/17/11, 09:16 AM

well they have the original car there... so hopefully they can do that
Old 2/17/11, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear about the trouble!

Post some more pics too! I wanna see those stripes! I was thinking about doing red stripes on my black CS

Quick Reply: Help Steeda CAI & Tune