Sponsored By:

Heads up! California GT Induction/Exhaust Aftermarket Add Ons

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/11, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Heads up! California GT Induction/Exhaust Aftermarket Add Ons

Guys,

Was looking at adding CAI and maybe headers to my incoming GT Premium to get better breathing and better economy (OK, and maybe a couple more HP ).

Am a Nevada resident, but I have to keep the car California emissions legal, and having had a recent run-in with the California smog ***** (aka the Ca. Air Resources Board - CARB) regarding headers on my Acura CL, I decided to do some research http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...rnia+emissions.

To be legally installed on a CA emissions vehicle, an aftermarket emissions-related part (CAI, Headers) must be CARB certified via a testing and approval process worthy of a George Orwell short story, and issued an "Engineering Order", or EO number. The manufacturer must identify the part with the EO number, or the owner is summarily deposited in the midst of a world of bureaucratic crap.

Thus forewarned, I went to the list of EOs*, and searched for the 5.0L Mustang, either 2010 or 2011..... <birds chirping> ..... NO EOs have been approved for the 5.0L 2010/2011 engine...

Bottom line... as of today, there are NO CAIs or headers that are approved for installation on the 2010-11 5.0...

Does anyone know if any manufacturers are doing CARB certification for CAIs or headers?

* http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...Search+for+EOs

Last edited by jimmbbo; 4/18/11 at 10:35 AM.
Old 4/17/11, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, in all reality the 5.0 is a "new" engine. It has only been in production since 2011 MY and the crap the manufacturers have to go through to get it CARB approved can take some time. I believe there were a few for the 4.6 that were CARB approved and I'm sure those same guys will be trying to get it for the new 5.0 parts. I hate to say it, but this is one reason I'm glad I'm not stationed there. I won't have to deal with emissions till i have to get it smogged in 6 years.
Old 4/17/11, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
1 of the many reasons I left California in 1994
A 671 GMC Blower was not a big enough Air Pump on my 1972 Gran Torino
Old 4/17/11, 08:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A CAI is a simple swap if you needed to do an emissions test!
Old 4/18/11, 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Exhaust is the one they are being ***** on. See my thread in off topic...
Old 4/18/11, 09:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, nothing new there.

You won't see a CARB approved CAI or any long tube headers.

There is a hydrocarbon "trap" in the lid of the stock air box and that has to be kept in place and functional to pass CARB requirements so there is no way to do that on an open CAI.

And for long tubes, the cats get relocated and that is also a no-no for CARB so you are SOL there too.

And the factory shorty headers are so good that replacing them with aftermarket shorty's is a waste.

So, be satisfied with just doing a tune and a cat-back on your California car or get the hell out of California.
Old 4/18/11, 10:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Yup, nothing new there.

There is a hydrocarbon "trap" in the lid of the stock air box and that has to be kept in place and functional to pass CARB requirements so there is no way to do that on an open CAI.

And for long tubes, the cats get relocated and that is also a no-no for CARB so you are SOL there too.

And the factory shorty headers are so good that replacing them with aftermarket shorty's is a waste.

So, be satisfied with just doing a tune and a cat-back on your California car or get the hell out of California.
Good gouge!
Agree! I moved out of CA to Vegas four years ago, but still have a condo and a car in the Peoples' Republic of California...
Old 4/18/11, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Exhaust is the one they are being ***** on. See my thread in off topic...
Got tagged on my first CA smog check for the CAI that didn't have an EO... after that, went three smog checks before the headers popped on the list...

The rep from the header manufacturer said he'd seen an uptick in the same problem, meaning the smog ***** likely sent out a memo to the techs to be on the lookout...
Old 4/18/11, 10:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
A CAI is a simple swap if you needed to do an emissions test!
Agree, but a California CAI needs to have a CARB EO number or it is "illegal"....
Old 4/18/11, 12:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Yup, nothing new there.

Pahahahaha, there are plenty in California with after market parts that aren't carb approved.. There are thousands driving around with no front plate, tint, and after market exhaust that isn't carb approved (it's not like your committing murder, some people just like to have a little fun). Not to mention superchargers/turbos and all that fun stuff... It depends where you live in Cali, how strict they are, and HOW YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR. Most of the newer mustangs are presentable, its the older civics, preludes, and integras that are modified that gets picked on. After the 6 years of owning my car I just had a smog test and passed by swapping my modified intake and exhaust.
Old 4/18/11, 12:21 PM
GT Member

It's not a problem if you can find a smog shop that will overlook visual.
Old 4/18/11, 12:30 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Exactly, my mentality is if all the other states had strict carb laws I wouldn't mod my car, but simply because the state that I was raised in has such strict carb laws isn't gonna hold me back from having a little fun with my car...
Old 4/18/11, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Exactly, my mentality is if all the other states had strict carb laws I wouldn't mod my car, but simply because the state that I was raised in has such strict carb laws isn't gonna hold me back from having a little fun with my car...
Yea, it will be nice to move back eventually. I just plan on finding a place up in the foothills or mountains where they aren't as strict on that stuff.
Old 4/18/11, 02:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Agree, but a California CAI needs to have a CARB EO number or it is "illegal"....
I think he was saying it'd be easy to run an "illegal" CAI, then swap in the stock intake on the day you take it in for smog testing. Then, once having passed smog testing, it'd be relatively easy to re-install the "illegal" CAI. Of course, this doesn't protect you from spot-checks if you draw attention to yourself...
Old 4/18/11, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to mention new cars are exempt for smog tests for the first 6 yrs. in Cali. I am running only 2 200cpi metallic cats on my M3 with removed primaries along with an AFE Stg. 2 intake. I held on to the stock parts, so when it comes time to smog or sell the car I can return it to the OEM configuration.

Dave
Old 4/18/11, 02:57 PM
GT Member

Pahahahaha, there are plenty in California with after market parts that aren't carb approved.. There are thousands driving around with no front plate, tint, and after market exhaust that isn't carb approved (it's not like your committing murder, some people just like to have a little fun). Not to mention superchargers/turbos and all that fun stuff... It depends where you live in Cali, how strict they are, and HOW YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR. Most of the newer mustangs are presentable, its the older civics, preludes, and integras that are modified that gets picked on. After the 6 years of owning my car I just had a smog test and passed by swapping my modified intake and exhaust.
The header manufacturer for my Acura said they had begun receiving a spike in these requests from owners, presumably due to the CARB ***** increasing their "surveillance" of those felonious headers..

My Acura (mostly stock, very clean) had passed two inspections till it popped this last go around... Headaches, hassles and more money spent for a second unnecessary check due to the pinheads at CARB...
Old 4/18/11, 03:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
True, but the CARB ***** are sending out "mystery shoppers" to nail the scofflaw smog techs...

If caught, the tech loses his license and gets a huge fine... the CARB "incentive" to do what der Furher says..

Big Brother is alive and well in Khalifohrnia...
Old 4/18/11, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmbbo
True, but the CARB ***** are sending out "mystery shoppers" to nail the scofflaw smog techs...

If caught, the tech loses his license and gets a huge fine... the CARB "incentive" to do what der Furher says..

Big Brother is alive and well in Khalifohrnia...
Old 4/18/11, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We know it as Mexifornia!

Last edited by knk11stang; 4/18/11 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add
Old 4/18/11, 06:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by FCMalie
Yea, it will be nice to move back eventually. I just plan on finding a place up in the foothills or mountains where they aren't as strict on that stuff.
Yea part of the reason I feel they aren't so strict out here is because where I live is home to a lot of harley and rod runs. There are choppers screamin around here with exhaust that sound about 3 times as loud as my stang, literally.. If you drive your car like a respectable person you should be fine..Don't get me wrong I definently get on it but there is always the right time and place...

Quick Reply: Heads up! California GT Induction/Exhaust Aftermarket Add Ons