Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Gt500 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/11, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight

The non-rolled tip just looks sooooo much better...

to each his own...
I like non rolled as well makes it look meaner
Gt500 muffs FTW
Old 5/18/11, 05:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Knight
The non-rolled tip just looks sooooo much better...

to each his own...
I totally agree. Maybe it's a generational thing. The muscle cars I looked up to when I was a kid (late '60's/early 70's) didn't need no stinkin' rolled tips. None of them had that "feature".

But then my 1980 Honda Accord sedan (with its 68 HP) came along and had a chrome exhaust extension bolted onto the pathetically tiny exhaust pipe. Other cars of its ilk followed suit, and then once cars began to have real HP and real exhaust again, someone decided that the rolled tip (which in my mind mimicks the fake exhaust extension) was the right look. Kids...

One exception to this is the tapered tips on the 2011 GT Corsa mufflers. They look very nice (to me).

Last edited by Double-EDad; 5/18/11 at 05:14 PM.
Old 5/18/11, 06:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I like the non rolled tip. It looks more muscle and less rice.
Old 5/18/11, 06:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep...love the non rolled...old school had no rolled tips...plus the roll goes to the inside, reducing the exit diameter.
Old 5/18/11, 06:25 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I think they look good, but tbh I think I preferred the tips that were on my Shelby GT (FRPP GTA's I guess they were.)
Old 5/18/11, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I totally agree. Maybe it's a generational thing. The muscle cars I looked up to when I was a kid (late '60's/early 70's) didn't need no stinkin' rolled tips. None of them had that "feature".

But then my 1980 Honda Accord sedan (with its 68 HP) came along and had a chrome exhaust extension bolted onto the pathetically tiny exhaust pipe. Other cars of its ilk followed suit, and then once cars began to have real HP and real exhaust again, someone decided that the rolled tip (which in my mind mimicks the fake exhaust extension) was the right look. Kids...

One exception to this is the tapered tips on the 2011 GT Corsa mufflers. They look very nice (to me).
Agreed. Those Corsas are just 'effing hawt.

And I think you're on to something with it being a generational thing. I'm only 28, but the straight cut tips resonate more with me, because that's mostly what I've seen on my dad's Mustangs and hot rods. Straight cut tips just look like serious business. It has one function: let the exhaust out. It's not like rolled-tips help, and they're purely aesthetic.

...then again, the entire car body and interior can be reasonably attributed to being aesthetic aside from aerodynamics. But I digress!
Old 5/18/11, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just like the rolled tips because to me it looks more "finished" and less like someone just hacked a pipe off with a hacksaw. That being said I'll probably end up installing the GT500 exhaust for the note. Or Borlas if I find myself with more money than I know what to do with. :-)
Old 5/18/11, 08:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I dont have a strong opinion about the rolled/non rolled look...but that is a fairly sharp edge. Beware when washing back there.
Old 5/18/11, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Have any of you noticed that the passenger side exhaust is louder ?
It may just be an auto issue but I know that mine is louder.
Old 5/18/11, 10:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Have any of you noticed that the passenger side exhaust is louder ?
It may just be an auto issue but I know that mine is louder.
Huh... interesting.

Which side has the usual factory-dented resonator? I never bothered to look but it could be related.
Old 5/18/11, 10:10 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Huh... interesting.

Which side has the usual factory-dented resonator? I never bothered to look but it could be related.
I think they're both dented, just that one is dented on the bottom side where you can see it, and the other is dented on the top out of sight.
Old 5/19/11, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just got mine on this morning, and with the FRPP X pipe, give me the perfect Euro tone I was looking for. Perfect IMO.

2 more days on my Bassani's on Ebay if anyone is looking for more of a Muscle car sound...
Old 5/19/11, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Anybody painted or powdercoated theirs black? I think I would like to just to hide them when looking at them from behind. Talked to a powder coat guy here and he was concerned about the heat on the mufflers. No one local does any ceramic coating that I can tell and I dint want to break the bank. Nor can I use my oven to bake any paint like VHT. Anyone have suggestions? Just got my mufflers yesterday and the car should be here in about two weeks.
Old 5/19/11, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Mine are painted with flat black (see above post with car on lift) BBQ paint. No need to powder coat as the heat is not that high on the mufflers. I did not paint the tips.....

I had also painted the stock ones soon after buying the car.

Last edited by AzPete; 5/19/11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 5/19/11, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Mine are painted with flat black (see above post with car on lift) BBQ paint. No need to powder coat as the heat is not that high on the mufflers. I did not paint the tips.....

I had also painted the stock ones soon after buying the car.
Yup...That's the ticket. I've done this on several cars.
Old 5/19/11, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do the GT500 mufflers on a GT sound similar to how they sound on an actual GT500? I'd really like to hear the setup in person before deciding if they will be enough for me.

Thanks!
Old 5/19/11, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
Do the GT500 mufflers on a GT sound similar to how they sound on an actual GT500? I'd really like to hear the setup in person before deciding if they will be enough for me.

Thanks!
My GT is louder than the GT500 at my dealership. I was shocked by because the 500 doesn't have resonators.
Old 5/19/11, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx

Thanks!
Come to Panama City and we will run mine around the block....or more...so you can hear it. lol Only a 7 hour drive......

The GT500 has a different engine so the pipes/mufflers sound different. As said, I think the GT is a bit louder than the GT500.
Old 5/19/11, 06:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Not sure why people are installing these mufflers when there are so many other choices out there that sound and look much better... and don't drone .

Is it just because they're a "GT500" muffler? Go over to Teamshelby.com or fordgt500.com. People are ripping them off their cars. You could probably get a set for a song . I actually gave mine away. Old school, new school, back to school... ???

Also, replacing the H-pipe w/an X... Why? European sounding... . Maybe gain 1-2 extra hp, but the H sounds 10 times better, hence, why the new GT500 have them, and why the guys w/ 07-10 are replacing their X w/ the H.

This is the Bizzaro World thread.

Not hate'n, just say'n .
Old 5/19/11, 06:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Not sure why people are installing these mufflers when there are so many other choices out there that sound and look much better... and don't drone .

Is it just because they're a "GT500" muffler? Go over to Teamshelby.com or fordgt500.com. People are ripping them off their cars. You could probably get a set for a song . I actually gave mine away. Old school, new school, back to school... ???

Also, replacing the H-pipe w/an X... Why? European sounding... . Maybe gain 1-2 extra hp, but the H sounds 10 times better, hence, why the new GT500 have them, and why the guys w/ 07-10 are replacing their X w/ the H.

This is the Bizzaro World thread.

Not hate'n, just say'n .
"Bizzaro World" just because YOU don't understand it?

Seriously though, it's just a matter of personal taste. Judging sound is purely subjective on a personal level. I the had Borla Ataks at the top of my list until I heard just one sound sample of the GT500s launching out of 1st gear. That, combined with Stinger1982's vouching for them having great sound, and low cost, was enough for me to take the plunge. I wanted something louder with more growl but not blatantly aftermarket or wake-the-neighbors loud. I seriously doubt anyone with the GT500s picked them by name branding alone. You gotta give us more credit than that!

X-pipe making it sound like a Euro V8? I haven't heard the setup myself but if it really does sound Euro, that's a different kind of awesome. As in Euro supercar sounding awesome. Very different personality and taste. I can see people rocking and liking it. Don't you think it's cool how broad the range is for the sound of these Coyotes?

Quick Reply: Gt500 exhaust