2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GT Rear Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/17, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Found the specs for inquiring minds. Looks like 76lb/ft for the bracket.

Old 6/1/17, 06:02 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
The upgrade guide was on this forum in a different rear brake upgrade thread. Here is the link:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...pgrade-537228/
---
Yup, that is my thread! Rear brakes still doing great two years later.
Old 6/1/17, 06:13 PM

Several users might still be confused. This may help:
* In order to use a larger rear rotor, you MUST re-locate the caliper.
* You may simply use an adapter bracket (not OEM), and you will NOT need to remove the rear axles.
* You may use the OEM relocation bracket (OEM), and you WILL need to remove the rear axles. A more difficult install.
* There is more than just the OEM GT500 method available, as others have posted that the aftermarket does sell kits for this.
* This larger rear rotor upgrade may not result in any improved stopping distances. It will, however, greatly reduce heat buildup and fade during high-performance track driving (autocross and/or road course).
I went the OEM relocation bracket route, with GT500 13.8" rotors. The results at the track are excellent. Here's my TMS thread:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...pgrade-537228/
The following 2 users liked this post by PJRManagement:
Bert (6/2/17), shaneyusa (6/1/17)
Old 6/2/17, 04:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Nice summary PJR!

About the torque specs -- if you are using the aftermarket bracket, be careful because, if I remember correctly, the mount bolts are threaded into the aluminum bracket so they will strip more easily than steel. 76 ft-lb does seem about right. I used loctite to help ensure that it would not loosen up and torqued it by hand to what felt "nice-n-tight" which is probably around 80 ft-lb or so.
Old 6/23/17, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Shaneyusa, how did the install go?
Old 6/24/17, 07:00 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I received the parts about 10 days ago. Everything looks good. But, I just have not gotten around to this yet, been swamped. Have not had anytime to even think about getting this completed. Been so crazy this spring I have just rolled over a grand total 500 miles on the car since it came out of storage. Heck summer is almost half over. So I have not even been enjoying my car like I should. That will change soon. But I do hope things (life) will slow down soon. I will post an update once the install is complete.
Old 6/24/17, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

You work too hard. But it's good to keep busy I guess. Need more time to enjoy the car. Man I feel like going for a drive right now. Just me and my Stang. On a open road, rowing through the gears. Ahhh the satisfaction...

I'm doing the rears soon, closely following the thread. On a side note, I optioned aftermarket rotor upgrade but having difficulty to locate the matching 13.8". It seems the oem gt500 rotor is the only option.

What brand name does Ford use. Is it Centric? And the StopTech is the performance division. There's only one rotor available from Hawk and it's for the front Brembo 14" - this is also hard to find btw. Strange.
Old 6/25/17, 07:22 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I did the rear brake swap a couple of months ago on my 2011. Pulling the axles was really pretty easy. If you take your time you should be done in under 3 hours. There are several rotor options available if you are using the Ford parts beside the Ford rotors. I found several options when I was looking and opted to go with the DBA 4000 series to match what I already had on the car.
Old 6/25/17, 10:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by EF1
I found several options when I was looking and opted to go with the DBA 4000 series to match what I already had on the car.
The brakes tech at Ford dealership tells me that he sees some signs of 'hot-spots' on my rotors when I asked him about the gt500 rear swaps. 5years of ownership roughly 39K on odometer, needless to say I was a bit surprised not knowing how long these stock rotors last.

With limited knowledge, I mostly went to Mustang-specific parts store websites such as AmericanMuscle, CJ Pony Parts, Late Model Restoration, Tire Rack, and Summit Racing. From there, I'd choose categories: make/model(10-14 Ford Mustang) -> Brakes -> Brake Rotors.

The brands that came up seem quite limited to Centric, StopTech, PowerStop, ExtremeStop - all named 'Stop-something' brands, exception of Baer and Wilwood but those are pricy. I don't know, they somehow seem too generic to me. Feels like I'd rather just get the Ford oem rotors.

The difficulty was that most websites do not list the specs - rotor outside diameter - sometimes tagged as 'fits with brembo calipers' or 'non-brembo'. I got so frustrated and yelled out, 'what's the gawd dang rotor size?!'.

Speaking of which, what specs/sizes of rotors should we look for fitting our cars? Diameters? Lengths, Widths, Heights? Thickness? I find absolutely none of these data from owners manual nor ford parts websites. They are extinct.

In your Signature, I saw the 'DBA' brand and did some digging. Stands for DISC BRAKES AUSTRALIA. Apparently they are big in Australia and seems been making its way out here in USA. From 4000 series, I found XS series DBA42124XS/DBA42124(BLK)XS and got immediately attached. I'd assume you have the T3 series (slotted)?

They seem to carry the right fitting sizes 355mm (=13.98 ~14") for the front brembo and the 350mm (=13.78 ~ 13.8") for the rear.
Old 6/26/17, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

the easy way to find the rear rotors is to look for rotors for 2014 GT500

Centric makes two variants, I went with the slightly higher priced $60/each and was happy with them, very nice rotors with black center section
Old 6/26/17, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
the easy way to find the rear rotors is to look for rotors for 2014 GT500.
Centric makes two variants, I went with the slightly higher priced $60/each and was happy with them, very nice rotors with black center section
---
^+1
This...if you go Ford OEM, 2013-2014 GT500 13.8" rear rotor is the perfect fit (with new brackets, of course). If you are interested on getting aftermarket rotors, use the search function as if you own a 2013-2014 GT500, so the rears will be compatible.
Old 6/26/17, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
the easy way to find the rear rotors is to look for rotors for 2014 GT500
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
If you are interested on getting aftermarket rotors, use the search function as if you own a 2013-2014 GT500, so the rears will be compatible.
Hmmm yes, exactly.

What I did was:
1. used [2013 BOSS 302] as a model to search for FRONT brembo fitting rotor, rather than 2013-14 GT w/performance brakes.
2. used [2014 SHELBY GT500] as a model to search for REAR fitting rotor.

This method will do just fine if you're seeking oem Ford rotors. It'll even give some of the optional aftermarket rotors I mentioned earlier. What I'm trying to point out is that this search function WILL NOT always give the fitting parts.

I found out this is purely because of missing spec/size sheets. For instance, 13.98" will not get listed as 14" hence, you will miss out. And most venders would just squeeze these incorrect sizes in there among with other fitting ones. This can be misleading to customers who particularly used this 'search function' thinking they are ALL fitting parts.

And so, I decided to do a search by the ROTOR SIZES (And by manufacture part numbers) not by trim models. Also, the millimeters are more accurate measure than inches.

BTW, my apologies if this sounds off topic. But we're all talking about the upgrades here and why not use something nicer other than oem rotors. If the price is right, that is.

What are the well-known brake brands out there that'll fit our cars?

What about the measurements that we need to look for? The diameter of rotors (ex 13.8")? Isn't there other specs - widths, offsets and so forth, just like when we pick our wheels?
Old 6/26/17, 08:52 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
The brakes tech at Ford dealership tells me that he sees some signs of 'hot-spots' on my rotors when I asked him about the gt500 rear swaps. 5years of ownership roughly 39K on odometer, needless to say I was a bit surprised not knowing how long these stock rotors last.

With limited knowledge, I mostly went to Mustang-specific parts store websites such as AmericanMuscle, CJ Pony Parts, Late Model Restoration, Tire Rack, and Summit Racing. From there, I'd choose categories: make/model(10-14 Ford Mustang) -> Brakes -> Brake Rotors.

The brands that came up seem quite limited to Centric, StopTech, PowerStop, ExtremeStop - all named 'Stop-something' brands, exception of Baer and Wilwood but those are pricy. I don't know, they somehow seem too generic to me. Feels like I'd rather just get the Ford oem rotors.

The difficulty was that most websites do not list the specs - rotor outside diameter - sometimes tagged as 'fits with brembo calipers' or 'non-brembo'. I got so frustrated and yelled out, 'what's the gawd dang rotor size?!'.

Speaking of which, what specs/sizes of rotors should we look for fitting our cars? Diameters? Lengths, Widths, Heights? Thickness? I find absolutely none of these data from owners manual nor ford parts websites. They are extinct.

In your Signature, I saw the 'DBA' brand and did some digging. Stands for DISC BRAKES AUSTRALIA. Apparently they are big in Australia and seems been making its way out here in USA. From 4000 series, I found XS series DBA42124XS/DBA42124(BLK)XS and got immediately attached. I'd assume you have the T3 series (slotted)?

They seem to carry the right fitting sizes 355mm (=13.98 ~14") for the front brembo and the 350mm (=13.78 ~ 13.8") for the rear.
Yes I have the 4000 series T3 slotted rotors. I was already running them on all four corners when I decided to upgrade the rear brakes. You need to be careful when ordering the rear rotors even when ordering for the 2013-2014 GT 500. Several places I checked returned the same part number for the 2013-2014 GT 500 and my 2011 GT. I ended up ordering the DBA's from Steeda. They were one of the only places that had the right size and they actually had the best price. They initially quoted the smaller size, but when given the correct part DBA part number were able to ship same day. The part number you specified is for the stock GT rear brakes. The 13.8" slotted with black hat to fit the 2013-2014 Shelby is DBA42117S.
Old 6/27/17, 06:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The "OEM style" centric rotors are an upgrade for sure. They look better simply because they fill the wheel better, and they stop the car better because they are bigger diameter and they dissipate heat better.

Slots and drilling and stuff look cool but don't add any significant performance advantage. Sometimes they can actually cause the rotors to crack if they get crazy hot.
Old 7/5/17, 09:55 PM

Well it is done!

Got the parts installed today by a neighbor of a friend who just happens to be a Ford Master Mechanic. I consider him a friend now too. Great guy. He did this basically for a personal favor for very cheap. I think he really just wanted to take my car for a drive. It took him about 3 hours. Cost me less much less than expected for parts, labor, fluids, and everything.

Since it was completed earlier today, I have put about 70 miles on the car. Nothing that would really stress or put the new config to the test. But in daily driving I noticed no significant difference in the operation. Maybe some less nose dive, but did not do any real hard braking. Just some stop and go freeway braking and some normal run around town driving.

But boy I am happy with the results, it really does it look much nicer. Here is a before and after shot to give you an idea.

I will update more once I have put a few more miles on the car. I am very happy with doing the OEM brackets and parts. And I am very pleased with the looks, so much better with those big 20" rims. These pics should give you an idea of the change in looks. Very please. Great Upgrade. Oh and did I mention that I am very happy with the results! Now the rotors match-up very well with the 14" brembo's on the front.
Attached Thumbnails GT Rear Brake Upgrade-before.jpg   GT Rear Brake Upgrade-after.jpg  

Last edited by shaneyusa; 7/5/17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 7/6/17, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great! I kind of want to see both the front and back in one and how they look. Any tips on the install? How was removing the axle, what did you use for differential fluid?

Could you also please list all the part numbers used, I understand you chose to replace every bolts?
Old 7/6/17, 06:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The stock brakes look tiny in those big open wheels, the new ones look WAY better . . . worth it for looks alone.
Old 7/6/17, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Looks great! I kind of want to see both the front and back in one and how they look. Any tips on the install? How was removing the axle, what did you use for differential fluid?

Could you also please list all the part numbers used, I understand you chose to replace every bolts?

Ok here is a couple of shots showing both front and rear. One before and one after. Looks so much better now...
Attached Thumbnails GT Rear Brake Upgrade-beforefull.jpg   GT Rear Brake Upgrade-afterfull.jpg  
Old 7/6/17, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Ok here is a couple of shots showing both front and rear. One before and one after. Looks so much better now...
---
Well done! Looks great. Just an FYI...I doubt you will see any improvement in stopping distances or pedal feel - especially for street driving. The real improvement comes during autocross or road coarse driving, where the larger rear rotor surface will dissipate heat better (much better).
Old 7/6/17, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Well done! Looks great. Just an FYI...I doubt you will see any improvement in stopping distances or pedal feel - especially for street driving. The real improvement comes during autocross or road coarse driving, where the larger rear rotor surface will dissipate heat better (much better).
Thanks!

Agree, after doing piles of research the only real mechanical improvement will be the dissipation of heat to the rear rotor. This could help prevent brake fade during times of excess braking like you mentioned. (i.e. autocross, road courses, and possibly road trips with long down hill travel.) There are a few of those very steep, long down hill grades close to my neck of the woods.

But my primary reason for this upgrade was to get rid of that wimpy looking rear rotor. Goal achieved!

Quick Reply: GT Rear Brake Upgrade