2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

got rear-ended ; hidden damage?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/11, 05:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Exclamation got rear-ended ; hidden damage?

so yesterday on my way to the NASCAR race in Loudon, NH there was a big back-up of stop and go traffic, and the driver behind me failed to stop when the traffic stopped . . . with a big thump and a jolt to my car. She was going real slow so it was not a major catastrphic impact, but a good solid thump.

The rear end of my car looks mostly OK. There is a scratch/dent on the plastic lower facia. The license plate is bent in on the bottom, which shows that the whole thing bent in quite a bit on impact. The body-color bumper cover seems to be OK. Looking under the car I cannot see any major damage; but I need to take a better look.

I'm thinking this is a good opportunity to get that Roush rear splitter (or maybe GT500) and I don't want to make a big deal out of the whole thing, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything.

Should I expect that there is damage underneath the bumper cover? Is there some kind of energy absobing material under there that would be crushed, and needs to be replaced? Is there any way to tell without removing the bumper cover?

thanks in advance for all inputs / suggestions!
Old 9/26/11, 06:29 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
so yesterday on my way to the NASCAR race in Loudon, NH there was a big back-up of stop and go traffic, and the driver behind me failed to stop when the traffic stopped . . . with a big thump and a jolt to my car. She was going real slow so it was not a major catastrphic impact, but a good solid thump.

The rear end of my car looks mostly OK. There is a scratch/dent on the plastic lower facia. The license plate is bent in on the bottom, which shows that the whole thing bent in quite a bit on impact. The body-color bumper cover seems to be OK. Looking under the car I cannot see any major damage; but I need to take a better look.

I'm thinking this is a good opportunity to get that Roush rear splitter (or maybe GT500) and I don't want to make a big deal out of the whole thing, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything.

Should I expect that there is damage underneath the bumper cover? Is there some kind of energy absobing material under there that would be crushed, and needs to be replaced? Is there any way to tell without removing the bumper cover?

thanks in advance for all inputs / suggestions!
There is Styrofoam energy absorbing material under there and the only way to check is to remove the bumper cover. It depends on how hard you got hit but I would guess it's damaged and should be replaced.
Old 9/26/11, 06:36 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
+1. The gray is styrofoam
Attached Thumbnails got rear-ended ; hidden damage?-img_0635.jpg  
Old 9/26/11, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hmmm, yeah, thanks for that, from looking at that photo I think I can say that foam piece is damaged for sure . . . I wonder how much they cost . . .

I did talk with my local dealer's service manager; and he said that if it was 5 mph or below there should be no damage at all (except maybe superficial scratches) and if I give it a real good visual inspection, including under the car, and it looks OK, it probably is OK. . . except he did mention that styrofoam piece might be crushed.

So I think I'll try to work someting out with the driver who hit me so I can buy the Roush or GT500 splitter, instead of going through the insurance mill to get a new stock GT facia. I'll look up the cost of parts -- the black plastic diaper and the styrofoam piece -- and ask them to send me a check for that. Then I'll buy the Roush or GT500 splitter instead and install it myself.

I'd rather not go through all the hassle of dealing with the insurance companies.

Wish me luck!

If you think that is a mistake, please warn me before I go too far. thanks.
Old 9/26/11, 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure i saw your car John, i noticed a 2010 GT, same color as yours as i was heading for the woods for a bit of relief ! Even checked the license plate and noticed it was from MA. not that many 2010 GT's showed up for the race, so i'm pretty positive it was you. I was with 3 buddy's in a 2010 Black Siverado with big chomed wheels parked right at the front of that same lot you were in. CS19 or something.
Sorry to hear about that fender bender, did you get a police report or info on that woman you hit you !
Let's not even comment on that race, as i almost fell asleep while watching it. I'm just back from Bedford N-H where we stayed at.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 9/26/11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Man that stinks. Get the gt500.
Old 9/26/11, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I'm pretty sure i saw your car John . . . .
Hey Dan, yep I'm pretty sure you did . . . I noticed your other post mentioning you were heading down there . . . I don't remember the lot number, but it was one of the smaller lots on the right-hand side going in the south entrance, I was parked toward the back on the left. (facing the woods where you were headed)

Yeah, it was a pretty boring race . . . the only thing interesting was the strategy around pit stops and the lead changes as a result . . . I had been routing for Mark Martin earlier in the year so at least I got to see him lead a few laps (even though I knew it would be short lived since he had to pit sooner or later) . . . the end was the reverse of the race their last year, where Stewart ran out of gas to let Bowyer win.

No I did not get a police report . . . it was in the middle of the traffic backup coming north on 106 . . . didn't want to wait around too long in the middle of that mess, in hind sight maybe I should have . . . but I did get pictures and all her info . . . she was a young girl about 20 and probably texting or drinking or who knows what . . . I am going to ask her to pay for the parts and keep it simple; hopefully it will work out OK.

I just washed the back of the car and it looks OK -- I cannot see any damage on the body-color bumper cover, just a little dent in the lower facia. I looked under the car real carefully and everything looks fine.

Last edited by Bert; 9/26/11 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 9/26/11, 05:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did you get her info and stuff? if its on her bill get the gt500 or roush
Old 9/26/11, 05:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a look at your exhaust tips and make sure they didn't take an impact - that's easy to overlook, although w/ the ride height of the mustang they're probably OK. Take a look at the trunk lines on all sides and make sure the gaps are appropriate. Take a close look at the tail lights to make sure there's no cracks. Look underneath the car at the spare tire well and the rear body panel (between that and the bumper) and make sure everything's OK. I've worked in body shops and as an auto-damage appraiser for ins co's... kinda know what to look for... but if the impact is light as it sounds, chances are it's isolated to the cover and/or lower fascia and maybe a crack in the absorber.
Old 9/26/11, 06:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can go to Roush's website and get a how-to for removing the rear bumper if you want to look further. You may want that when/if you install that lower fascia.

http://store.roushperformance.com/im...009_manual.pdf
Old 9/26/11, 06:48 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
these cars are pretty tough, but I'd take a close look at the roof above the window/door for any waves, and the spotwelds along the underside of the trunk- just be wary of any cracks in the seamsealer. a mirror and flashlight along the underside of the wheel arch hem to make sure nothing shifted/cracked seam sealer- dont want any water getting in that hem...try shaking the taillights, make sure the tabs arent broke, etc...its probably fine, but sometimes things move around...
my wifes got bumped lightly somewhere, just a small scuff on the paint that buffed out, but a month later noticed the bumper was rubbing on the bottom of the trunklid/wore thru the paint...doh!
Old 9/26/11, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

thanks guys for giving me the specific things to look for; I did look casually at a lot of those things but will take a closer look tomorrow.

Wow, those Roush instructions are very detailed! Makes it look like a bigger job than I thought. I haven't settled on the GT500 or Roush lower facia yet but I think the instructions are the same anyway so I'll keep them handy.

Makes me think this might be a good time to buy/install the tinted tail lights and marker lights too . . .
Old 9/26/11, 07:07 PM

Hey man, sorry to hear. My weekend job is delivery so I experience daily the dangers of horrible drivers.

Unavoidable accidents and accidents caused by carelessness are two different things.

Hope you get a nice new rear valance out of this and no damage underneath
Old 9/26/11, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Dan, yep I'm pretty sure you did . . . I noticed your other post mentioning you were heading down there . . . I don't remember the lot number, but it was one of the smaller lots on the right-hand side going in the south entrance, I was parked toward the back on the left. (facing the woods where you were headed)

So i missed you cuz i didn't see anybody arount the car at the time. Sorry, but i couldn't hold it any longer and had to take a leak at your rear passenger wheel. If i would've only knew it was you !!!!

Yeah, it was a pretty boring race . . . the only thing interesting was the strategy around pit stops and the lead changes as a result . . . I had been routing for Mark Martin earlier in the year so at least I got to see him lead a few laps (even though I knew it would be short lived since he had to pit sooner or later) . . . the end was the reverse of the race their last year, where Stewart ran out of gas to let Bowyer win.

No I did not get a police report . . . it was in the middle of the traffic backup coming north on 106 . . . didn't want to wait around too long in the middle of that mess, in hind sight maybe I should have . . . but I did get pictures and all her info . . . she was a young girl about 20 and probably texting or drinking or who knows what . . . I am going to ask her to pay for the parts and keep it simple; hopefully it will work out OK.

I say try to settle for X amount and avoid telling the insurance company. See how it works out with her. Maybe she'll want to avoid a police report as well.
Keep us posted.

I just washed the back of the car and it looks OK -- I cannot see any damage on the body-color bumper cover, just a little dent in the lower facia. I looked under the car real carefully and everything looks fine.
Fixed, see above.
Old 9/27/11, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

LOL, Dan, I was wondering where that puddle came from, had to wash the tire when I got home . . .

So I offered to work it out with her without involving the insurance companies, by voice mail of course . . . but she never called me back, and next thing I know I'm hearing from her insurance company. I guess she thought I was trying to rip her off; little does she know I was trying to do her a favor.

Today I got the quick "appraisal" which consists of a guy taking pictures of the car; he agrees it needs a new lower valance but questions the foam piece inside; says the shop can ask for a "supplemental" if they find any more damage inside. Of course I don't think my driveway counts as a "shop"

Next I'm supposed to hear back from the insurance company with an offer . . . if they include labor, which of course they should, it should be a lot more than what the parts will cost. So maybe it will work out OK.

One stupid glitch I just learned about with insurance these days -- you have to give them your date of birth and social security number (the two things you are never supposed to give anyone together) because they are required by law to check with the IRS to see if you owe any money before they write you a check; if you owe any money to the IRS, the money goes to Uncle Sam instead. The only way to get around this is to have the check written directly to the repair shop; but my repair shop is me. Catch 22!
Old 9/27/11, 05:38 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One stupid glitch I just learned about with insurance these days -- you have to give them your date of birth and social security number (the two things you are never supposed to give anyone together) because they are required by law to check with the IRS to see if you owe any money before they write you a check; if you owe any money to the IRS, the money goes to Uncle Sam instead. The only way to get around this is to have the check written directly to the repair shop; but my repair shop is me. Catch 22!
WHAT??? Unless that is something to do with your state, that is B.S.

I think you've got an adjuster who is confused. Now, they need your DOB and SS if you're filing an INJURY (medical) claim as they're required to report to Medicare, but not the IRS. If you're not pursuing an injury, there is NO need to give this info. I would DEMAND they provide you with the statute requiring you to provide this information, otherwise their obligation is to compensate YOU for damages, not the IRS. I would make a phone call to your state department of insurance to find out if it's a state specific law before accepting a 2 party check. It is NOT a federal requirement.

Edit: here is the contact info for the Mass DOI http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocamodul...tdoi&csid=Eoca I would not provide that info without verifying that it's required w/ the state DOI, and I would then demand that they settle with you, the damaged party, and not you and a body shop, unless they can provide you with the statute that requires them to do otherwise.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 9/27/11 at 05:58 PM.
Old 9/27/11, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
WHAT??? Unless that is something to do with your state, that is B.S.
I was wondering the same as i find that requirement very intrusive and personal . Over here you would never have to give away that kind of information to an insurance company.