Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Got my "CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN" today ...

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/10, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got my "CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN" today ...

Stopped by my dealer to see if they had any news and the owner told me that he was going to do some checking 1st thing Monday morning. On his latest print out, it still shows ETA for week of 4/26. We're obviously hoping it is NOT still at the AAI lot, but I think there is a good chance that it is.

Anyway to make my trip worthwhile, he offered me a copy of the "CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE" that he received for my car earlier in the week from Ford. I had never seen one of these before, and it looks similar to a vehicle title. Interestingly, when photo-copied, "VOID VOID VOID" shows up in the background. It is dated April 8th, same date as the invoice.

Most interesting thing about it is it states a "SHIPPING WEIGHT" of 3310 lbs ... where Tech Specs show a V6 MT Coupe being 3453 lbs.

Anyone else seen or gotten a copy of this ??

Doug
Old 5/8/10, 02:06 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
Stopped by my dealer to see if they had any news and the owner told me that he was going to do some checking 1st thing Monday morning. On his latest print out, it still shows ETA for week of 4/26. We're obviously hoping it is NOT still at the AAI lot, but I think there is a good chance that it is.

Anyway to make my trip worthwhile, he offered me a copy of the "CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE" that he received for my car earlier in the week from Ford. I had never seen one of these before, and it looks similar to a vehicle title. Interestingly, when photo-copied, "VOID VOID VOID" shows up in the background. It is dated April 8th, same date as the invoice.

Most interesting thing about it is it states a "SHIPPING WEIGHT" of 3310 lbs ... where Tech Specs show a V6 MT Coupe being 3453 lbs.

Doug
I got one of those several weeks back for my new GT500. It shows the shipping weight as 3,710. I wish! Advertised weight is 3,820.
Old 5/8/10, 02:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minimal gas in the car.
Old 5/8/10, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Doug
The C of O is what they send to the DMV along with your application for title.
Old 5/8/10, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

As official as it looks, I figured it had something to do with getting a title. but I'd just never seen one or been offered a copy before.

Then again, this is also the 1st time I've had a copy of a VOC, DORA, INVOICE, and pdf Window Sticker even though I've special ordered 4 other Fords since 1994. Never knew I could actually get any of this before either.

Doug
Old 5/8/10, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

As official as it looks, I figured it had something to do with getting a title. but I'd just never seen one or been offered a copy before.

Then again, this is also the 1st time I've had a copy of a VOC, DORA, INVOICE, and pdf Window Sticker even though I've special ordered 4 other Fords since 1994. Never knew I could actually get any of this before either.

Doug
The internet has taken away a lot of the smoke and mirrors that dealers have used in their handbag of tricks. Some dealers still think they can "hide" this info, but there will always be former dealership guys like myself or even current guys like Brian, Jeff and Paul who tell it like it is.
I will ALWAYS demand to see the invoice before purchasing a new vehicle as I'm pretty good at deciphering it now.
Old 5/8/10, 05:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
The internet has taken away a lot of the smoke and mirrors that dealers have used in their handbag of tricks. Some dealers still think they can "hide" this info, but there will always be former dealership guys like myself or even current guys like Brian, Jeff and Paul who tell it like it is.
I will ALWAYS demand to see the invoice before purchasing a new vehicle as I'm pretty good at deciphering it now.
As a former dealership guy this stuff is old hat to me.
One thing to remember...
If you have the C of O, you can sign a deal for financing.
A good thing to know if you are buying at a time when interest rates might go up.
Old 5/8/10, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car's COV is dated the day after the car was produced. The invoice is dated about two weeks before the the car was produced. My son's '07 Mustang's COV and invoice are the same day and they are dated 8 days before the car was produced.

The COV is the way the manufacturer transfers the ownership of the car to the dealership. The dealership then forwards the COV to DMV for you to get a title. Some DMV will give you a copy of the COV if requested, for a fee naturally.

I tried to attach my COV but the window was locking up after the pdf was half load.
Old 5/8/10, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by karman
As a former dealership guy this stuff is old hat to me.
One thing to remember...
If you have the C of O, you can sign a deal for financing.
A good thing to know if you are buying at a time when interest rates might go up.
If my car does not come in by next Saturday, we will be doing the contract so the dealer can take my "trade-in" (my '04) and sell it to my friend who has already sold his old car. They are giving me the price we agreed upon (as a private sale) for trade in and turning around and writing up a contract to sell it to him for that same price. Will save me $400 in sales tax on my new car and the dealership will make a little $$ on the finacing the '04 to my friend. Also, the financing they got for him is better than what he had found on his own, so it is a "win-win" deal for everyone.

Doug