Good locking lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/12, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good locking lug nuts?

These will work with my 13 right?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla-l...rome/p/WHLLN9/

Any feedback on em? Looks like this is a set, but I'm just looking for 4 locking lug nuts instead of the entire set. Any recommendations?
Old 7/5/12, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I just used the original ford ones, had them included in my order... I think they are $15 a nut, blend in perfectly with the other bolts, can't even tell.
Old 7/5/12, 09:46 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm selling my gorilla "system" set of locking lugs. Every lug is a lock. They're black, not sure if that's why you're looking for
Old 7/5/12, 09:55 PM

How much for your gorrilas ?
Old 7/6/12, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BigR
I just used the original ford ones, had them included in my order... I think they are $15 a nut, blend in perfectly with the other bolts, can't even tell.
I was reading that these are cheaply made and strip easy?
Old 7/6/12, 08:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by greengoblin5599
How much for your gorrilas ?
$35 shipped. Not scratched or chipped. They'll be off in about a week. Soon as the new wheels get here
Old 7/6/12, 09:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
From a cost standpoint, why replace the stock chrome non-locking with different chrome non-locking?

Since any locking lugs can be defeated, using 5 on each wheel makes it 5 times harder to steal your wheels and makes it 5 times more likely they will get caught in the act.

Also, FWIW the linked set includes valve stems which I doubt work with the tire pressure monitors.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 7/6/12 at 09:41 AM.
Old 7/6/12, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
From a cost standpoint, why replace the stock chrome non-locking with different chrome non-locking?

Since any locking lugs can be defeated, using 5 on each wheel makes it 5 times harder to steal your wheels and makes it 5 times more likely they will get caught in the act.

Also, FWIW the linked set includes valve stems which I doubt work with the tire pressure monitors.
So what do you recommend?
Old 7/6/12, 11:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
vii, here's the only thing that troubles me with the oem locking lug nuts. If Ford hasn't improved the key to remove them, it is susceptible to breaking. Had this happen on one of the Wifey's cars, took the dealer two hours to get to my location.

Plus, it has been my experience that any wheel thief worth his weight in lug nuts has a key to remove the locker. Anyone can buy them. But they do keep your average dirt bag thiefs at bay.
Old 7/6/12, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why use lock lugs at all?
Old 7/6/12, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by viiStang
So what do you recommend?
I would go with a set of 20 locking lugs. They can all be defeated but some appear to this honest person to be easier to defeat than others but not something I would mention since its not based on personal experience stealing wheels.

Originally Posted by wanted33
vii, here's the only thing that troubles me with the oem locking lug nuts. If Ford hasn't improved the key to remove them, it is susceptible to breaking. Had this happen on one of the Wifey's cars, took the dealer two hours to get to my location.

Plus, it has been my experience that any wheel thief worth his weight in lug nuts has a key to remove the locker. Anyone can buy them. But they do keep your average dirt bag thiefs at bay.
I agree. But however hard or easy it is to defeat one, its 5 times as hard/long to defeat 20 as 4. 20 makes the next car with 4 or none a better target. Sort of like the joke about the guy telling his friend he doesn't need to outrun an attacking bear he just needs to outrun his friend.
Old 7/6/12, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I would go with a set of 20 locking lugs. They can all be defeated but some appear to this honest person to be easier to defeat than others but not something I would mention since its not based on personal experience stealing wheels.

I agree. But however hard or easy it is to defeat one, its 5 times as hard/long to defeat 20 as 4. 20 makes the next car with 4 or none a better target. Sort of like the joke about the guy telling his friend he doesn't need to outrun an attacking bear he just needs to outrun his friend.
Good point. I dunno I'm just paranoid. Better safe than sorry.. any links?
Old 7/6/12, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything can be cheaply made. Gorilla lugs are no exception. The proper name for Gorilla lugs (Gorilla is a brand name), btw, is "external spline lug nuts". "Spline Drive" is another commonly used moniker.

They will strip, but only if you use an air gun to tighten them. You shouldn't be using an air gun to tighten lug nuts anyway. I would, however, keep a second key on hand just in case.

Last edited by hawkeye18; 7/6/12 at 12:32 PM.
Old 7/6/12, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

The OE locking lugs that came with my car are McGards.

I've also had a McGard locking lug key break in the past (different vehicle), and had to call and order a replacement.

I figure if I've got to use my key on 20 locking lugs instead of 4, I'm 5 times more likely to bust it.

I also figure I've got insurance.

Just ran through the ordeal of buying new 'tuner' lugs (smaller nut diameter) for a set of Forgestars. Wheels are now at finishing and are expected in 1-2 weeks.

So far, all I've purchased is a set of lugs and may not opt to get a set of locks. Folks I ordered the wheels from could get me either 20 locking lugs or zero. Couldn't get just four. I opted for zero. If I decide to get a set of 4 locks, so far the only set of tuner locks I've found are Gorillas.
Old 7/7/12, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't had wheels stolen, and my wife's 22s on the sport edge, and my 19s on the gt look nice with ford bolts...not sure if they are cheap, or strip, but so far, I haven't had issues switching for snows.

Any real thief will find a way regardless ......I just added them as a small precaution .... If its a small deterring factor than they did the job....if it doesn't ....that's why I pay insurance premiums.

In the meantime, they look really nice and match the look of the other bolts...it's a nice poseur finish for me
Old 7/8/12, 06:41 PM
V6 Member

I agree a little protection cant hurt but if they want it bad enough they will take such is life