2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Glass Roof and Hail

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/10 | 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Seriously- if the hail is big enough to break the glass roof, then it is also big enough to break the windshield.
Old 4/27/10 | 12:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Seriously- if the hail is big enough to break the glass roof, then it is also big enough to break the windshield.
Technically, yes. But the hail will hit the windshield at a deflected angle whereas with the glass roof it will land at a perpendicular angle. More force on the glass roof for the same size hail. Assuming the car is sitting still, of course. Once the car is moving the equation changes a bit.
Old 4/27/10 | 12:12 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Its what happens after the glass roof breaks and your 75 miles away from home and the 'hail storm and rain' is still doing its thing. Thats why i didn't order one. I'm sure the glass roof is as strong as the windshield, but windshields break too.
Old 4/27/10 | 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've always wondered myself if the glass roof has the same gooey goodness center as the windshields do.
Old 4/27/10 | 12:20 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Skotty
I've always wondered myself if the glass roof has the same gooey goodness center as the windshields do.
you bet it does
Old 4/27/10 | 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

At that point I would wonder more about the whole car, way more than the roof !!
Old 4/27/10 | 12:32 PM
MOTM Committee Member

If the hail is big enough to break the glass roof its big enough to F up the rest of your car too. Its not like you'll be safe if you don't have a glass roof
Old 4/27/10 | 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Then they get the memo. They say, "Okay we can do this. No dents right?" Next thing you know, the new Mustangs are 5500lbs thanks to thicker dent resistent body panels.

oorrrrr ... the new mustangs weigh in at 2500 lbs thanks to the dent resistent carbon fibre body panels ...
Old 4/27/10 | 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pony racer

OR

3100# due to carbon fiber panels. they are dent resistent

oops ... dang ... this is what happens when i dont read all the posts in the thread before replying
Old 4/27/10 | 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Exactly-

If the hail is big enough to break the roof, then it is big enough to make driving impossible. In that case you need to find shelter- glass roof or not.
Old 4/27/10 | 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Exactly-

If the hail is big enough to break the roof, then it is big enough to make driving impossible. In that case you need to find shelter- glass roof or not.
Old 4/27/10 | 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AusTXMCA
I wonder how much of a chance there is of a Semi kicking up a rock and it cracking like a windshield. Probably not much - but suppose it could happen
Old 4/27/10 | 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Its what happens after the glass roof breaks and your 75 miles away from home and the 'hail storm and rain' is still doing its thing. Thats why i didn't order one. I'm sure the glass roof is as strong as the windshield, but windshields break too.
I don't remember seeing windshield deletes anywhere either....

Just admit it: it's an irrational fear and no amount of rationalizing it will overcome your fear of the glass panel.

It's also perfectly fine to say that $2k is a lot of money for mood lighting.

But saying it's going to break isn't very logical when everything breaks.
Old 4/27/10 | 01:02 PM
GT Member

LOL!!

Originally Posted by dragstart
I get this stuff called insurance. I was in a hailstorm with golf-ball sized hail. I called the insurance company and they sent a guy to my house and counted the dents and then gave me a check. I sold the car to someone who didn't care about the dents, which were (mostly) not visible.

It would work with a glass-roofed car, although the details would be different.
Old 4/27/10 | 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
I wonder how much of a chance there is of a Semi kicking up a rock and it cracking like a windshield. Probably not much - but suppose it could happen
Never say never

Reminds me of a story from a couple of years ago here in Austin. Some women was driving down the interstate and a semi on the OPPOSITE side of the road lost a tire. It went over the concrete divider - straight through her windshield...killed her instantly...bad stuff right there.

Guess it goes to show that glass roof or no glass roof...both have their dangers
Old 4/27/10 | 01:09 PM
GT Member

I would be really scared if it's lightning out and in a glass roof car! I live in Florida, and there's lots of Lightning down here.

I dont want a Lightning Bolt going through my glass roof and hitting me, my wife, and children in the head...

At least, with metal roof above me- I feel somewhat safer. Oh, I dont want hail snowballs going through it either! Yikes!
Old 4/27/10 | 01:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
I would be really scared if it's lightning out and in a glass roof car! I live in Florida, and there's lots of Lightning down here.

I dont want a Lightning Bolt going through my glass roof and hitting me, my wife, and children in the head...

At least, with metal roof above me- I feel somewhat safer. Oh, I dont want hail snowballs going through it either! Yikes!
I'm with Mike except I know it could happen I just don't want to see it coming.
Old 4/27/10 | 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa

Yeah, but with a glass roof you can see the lightning bolt coming for you and you can dodge out of the way.
Old 4/27/10 | 01:49 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I'm not sure I'd want to dodge it. It would be awesome to watch a lightning bolt hit me
Old 4/27/10 | 01:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I'm not sure I'd want to dodge it. It would be awesome to watch a lightning bolt hit me
... once.

Quick Reply: Glass Roof and Hail