2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Geico Dropped Me

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/13 | 09:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I also have insured modifications on my car in the past. I use AAA and they have been great. I insured a couple specific modifications on my last car with them with no issue at all. I also switched from Geico to AAA about 2 years ago and saved about $700/year for my 3 cars. I would never go back
Old 7/5/13 | 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

mrtnt3x- Probably happened when you had your windshield replaced. Maybe those people are asked to report on the condition of the vehicle when they replaced the glass, or maybe just the claim against that vehicle caused them to drop it from the policy.

Why are you with Geico anyway? This company is as bad as Allstate, Farmers, State Farm, Progressive, etc... when it comes to rates and policies. Additionally, all of these companies base their rates and coverages on your credit score, which should be illegal IMO.
Old 7/5/13 | 10:22 AM

Geico has been really good to me I actually switched from AAA to them but will be going back. My credit is outstanding as well. Oh, well it's life. I will be straight up with whom ever I go with next time from day 1. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 7/5/13 | 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrtnt3x
Okay so how do they know who I am from internet handle?
I believe some other posters mentioned using CARFAX. I tracked my last Mustang, through CARFAX, by VIN, to a dealer in Arizona. It was really simple. I also used google to track the VIN, and it brought up this forum as one of the suggested places to look.

I know several other auto companies have people at the tracks and watch cars race. When my daughters Subaru blew an engine, the first thing they did was check for a tune before they would even talk about warranty repairs.

It would be interesting to know exactly how they found out you modded the car, just for future use by others.
Old 7/5/13 | 01:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Black helicopters, drones..........they're watching you.

It sux, but insurance companies are a racket for the most part. Have a minor accident that's your fault. Doesn't matter how long you have been with them they will go up on your rates for 3 - 4 years to recoup some or all the cost of the repairs. But drop you for mods. That's downright rude.

Last edited by wanted33; 7/7/13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 7/5/13 | 01:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I love USAA. They are unsurpassed. You have to be military affiliated though. State Farm would be my second pick.
Old 7/5/13 | 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by kn7671
mrtnt3x- Probably happened when you had your windshield replaced. Maybe those people are asked to report on the condition of the vehicle when they replaced the glass, or maybe just the claim against that vehicle caused them to drop it from the policy.

Why are you with Geico anyway? This company is as bad as Allstate, Farmers, State Farm, Progressive, etc... when it comes to rates and policies. Additionally, all of these companies base their rates and coverages on your credit score, which should be illegal IMO.
You might be right the guy did mention how awesome my exhaust sounded, could have very well have told them how awesome it was too lol.
Old 7/5/13 | 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So you've named off a slew of big insurance companies and slammed them (and FWIW, USAA also checks credit scores according to a workmate of mine that mentioned it just yesterday). I for one am not comfortable going down to Moe's Insurance and Pawn and getting the cheapest policy I can find with somebody nobody's ever heard of. I'll keep State Farm, who no one has ever been able to beat by more than $1.50 a month... and who I know will take care of my problems quickly and not cancel me the first (next) time I have a claim.
Old 7/5/13 | 06:47 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by wannabe
So you've named off a slew of big insurance companies and slammed them (and FWIW, USAA also checks credit scores according to a workmate of mine that mentioned it just yesterday). I for one am not comfortable going down to Moe's Insurance and Pawn and getting the cheapest policy I can find with somebody nobody's ever heard of. I'll keep State Farm, who no one has ever been able to beat by more than $1.50 a month... and who I know will take care of my problems quickly and not cancel me the first (next) time I have a claim.
Agreed. They all check credit scores as an indication of being responsible vs being a deadbeat. Stats show credit deadbeats file more accident claims.

Geico couldn't beat State Farm and SF handled a comp claim great. Approved my request for the best body shop, and in a previous accident (not my fault) covered my medical for extended physical therapy with no issues. Never raised my rates over either claim.

I am now with Safeco because SF could never cover my home (horses and acreage), but Safeco had a small farm policy and having both home and auto gave me a discount that beat SF's auto. Hopefully Safeco will handle any claims as well as SF.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/5/13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 7/6/13 | 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I switched from Geico to Progressive. Haven't looked back even though they've been spamming me to come back for a few years now
Old 7/6/13 | 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

AAA was least expensive in my area for house, cars. Went thru AARP for motorcycle insurance. I know insurance companies use you credit score but I don't agree with them having access to it..none of their business in my opinion.
Old 7/6/13 | 08:50 AM
V6 Member

The insurance carrier ranked number 1 year after year is Amica Mutual. It is a direct writer. Usually Erie is ranked number 2. Agents will often privately tell you to avoid Progressive base on some bad experience with claims issues. Here is just one survey:

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2010134
Old 7/6/13 | 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have mods on both my stangs and I am okay with Geico. I do know if you want them covered you have to tell them about it. As far as engine mods they do not cover them but they did not have an issue. My guess is there is something else wrong and you just got a lame customer service rep that does not know what they are talking about.
Old 7/6/13 | 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Geico I've read about time and time again over decades and know it's bad. Have my own experience with Allstate to avoid them, Farmers paid out when someone with it hit my car. Progressive really made trouble for a former co-worker and thus would avoid them.... but I've had state farm for many years and found them to be more or less quite reasonable. Far better than the others given the trouble I had thanks to Allstate when I got my '97 new. I've never heard the horror stories on State Farm that I hear with most of the others mentioned.

The only annoyance I have with state farm is that if I get an additional car it starts from scratch on the discounts which grow over time.
Old 7/6/13 | 02:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flynford
The insurance carrier ranked number 1 year after year is Amica Mutual.
That's my carrier, and I've been with them for many years. They send you a dividend check each year, depending on how the company performed that year. You can opt to waive the dividend in favor of a cheaper premium, but I think it usually works out to a greater savings to accept the dividend option.

This thread made me nervous about how they might look upon my planned body mods (all cosmetic), so I called them yesterday and reviewed my build list with them. The representative checked with a supervisor and said that nothing I was planning to do would cause me any issues with coverage. She just said to be sure to keep receipts for all accessories, and that it would be a good idea to document everything with photos. She said no special modified-vehicle rider would be necessary. She just wanted me to give her the total cost of the vehicle, along with all add-ons, presumably so that they could cover my car for its full value.

That all sounded very reasonable to me, and I continue to be well-satisfied with this company.
Old 7/6/13 | 03:03 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Lothar
They send you a dividend check each year, depending on how the company performed that year. You can opt to waive the dividend in favor of a cheaper premium, but I think it usually works out to a greater savings to accept the dividend option.
Don't be too excited about dividends from a 'mutual' ins company.

You know why the IRS doesn't tax you on mutual insurance company dividends? Because they aren't dividends. IRS rule states they 'are a partial refund of a deliberate overcharge'. So they overcharge customers all year long, invest that excess, then maybe give you some of your overcharge back. Scam.

Which makes it all the funnier when mutual company TV ads proclaim that '"we're better because we don't have shareholders". Liars.

A real dividend generates a 1099-DIV. And you pay tax on it.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/6/13 at 03:14 PM.
Old 7/6/13 | 03:47 PM
Cobra Member

Try electric insurance company. They're smaller but provide exceptional service with claims.
Old 7/6/13 | 03:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Don't be too excited about dividends from a 'mutual' ins company.

You know why the IRS doesn't tax you on mutual insurance company dividends? Because they aren't dividends. IRS rule states they 'are a partial refund of a deliberate overcharge'. So they overcharge customers all year long, invest that excess, then maybe give you some of your overcharge back. Scam.

Which makes it all the funnier when mutual company TV ads proclaim that '"we're better because we don't have shareholders". Liars.

A real dividend generates a 1099-DIV. And you pay tax on it.
That's interesting, cdynaco, I had never thought of it that way before. To be honest, I have stuck with Amica all these years because of their service more than the premium cost, and because of their reputation. After following this thread, any carrier that has no issues with Mustang mods is worth consideration in my book.

Thanks for the insights!
Old 7/6/13 | 03:55 PM
Post *****

That's interesting, cdynaco, I had never thought of it that way before. To be honest, I have stuck with Amica all these years because of their service more than the premium cost, and because of their reputation. After following this thread, any carrier that has no issues with Mustang mods is worth consideration in my book.

Thanks for the insights!
Yes - I'm not knocking Amica itself. All mutual insurance company's dividend schemes are the same. But if they are a good insurance provider and competitive, that is what matters most.
I tried to get a quote from Amica through Costco but they don't cover properties with horses.
Old 7/6/13 | 05:25 PM
V6 Member

That's my carrier, and I've been with them for many years. They send you a dividend check each year, depending on how the company performed that year. You can opt to waive the dividend in favor of a cheaper premium, but I think it usually works out to a greater savings to accept the dividend option.

This thread made me nervous about how they might look upon my planned body mods (all cosmetic), so I called them yesterday and reviewed my build list with them. The representative checked with a supervisor and said that nothing I was planning to do would cause me any issues with coverage. She just said to be sure to keep receipts for all accessories, and that it would be a good idea to document everything with photos. She said no special modified-vehicle rider would be necessary. She just wanted me to give her the total cost of the vehicle, along with all add-ons, presumably so that they could cover my car for its full value.

That all sounded very reasonable to me, and I continue to be well-satisfied with this company.

We have been with them more than 30 years. There is a reason AMICA is ranked #1 every year.

Quick Reply: Geico Dropped Me