Sponsored By:

Garmin Mechanic for Android

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/11, 11:40 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Garmin Mechanic for Android

Saw this posted on one of my Android news feeds. Sounds kind of cool IMHO.

The Android app is free, but to take full advantage you have to buy the ecoRoute HD for ~$99 (not that much $$ considering what we spend on our cars ).
Not that much more than a standard ODBII tool, and figure some of my fellow TMS'ers with Android phones might be interested.

Garmin Mechanic

Features:
  • Access real-time performance data for your vehicle
  • View live gauges for RPM, speed, intake manifold pressure, coolant temperature, timing advance, throttle position and more
  • Measure your vehicle's 0-30, 0-60, 1/8-mile and 1/4-mile times
  • Calculate your vehicle's horsepower and torque
  • Measure lateral acceleration with the Skidpad
  • Calculate your instant and average fuel economy over multiple trips
  • Record live OBD data, and export it for analysis
  • Track and collect data on multiple vehicles
  • Diagnose and reset your check engine light
  • Check your vehicle's self-test status for emissions certification
Here's the link to the ecoRoute HD.

Get Real-time Diagnostics

Transform your compatible nüvi into a real-time diagnostic computer with ecoRoute HD. By connecting to your vehicle’s diagnostic system, ecoRoute HD monitors vehicle performance and provides detailed system data, including manifold pressure, air intake temperature, timing advance and more.

Meet Your New Mechanic

How many times has your check engine light come on but you have no idea what is wrong? With ecoRoute HD, you’ll receive clear explanations as to what is wrong with your vehicle, and you even have the ability to reset your check engine light, saving you time and money spent at the repair shop. After completing a simple installation, you can run diagnostic testing on vehicle systems, such as the battery and drive train, to receive engine performance data and over 4,000 error codes.

Double Your Savings

In addition to saving you time and money spent on costly vehicle diagnostic testing, ecoRoute HD still provides fuel savings by tapping into your vehicle’s diagnostic system to give you more accurate fuel consumption/conservation data.
Old 2/22/11, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's pretty awesome for only $100. I think this will probably be the first 'mod' I buy! Good find.
Old 2/23/11, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

This does look good, thanks.
Old 2/23/11, 12:26 AM
Banned

Sounds good but if it's anything like the one on the iPhone all the vehicle performance features like 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and hp numbers are way off my iPhone told me my 2011 mustang gt had 180hp lol then I tried it again a few days later and it said I had 500hp lol then it told me that I had a 1/4 mile time of 17 seconds so I naturally tried again and it said I did a 11 second 1/4 mile...lol
Old 2/23/11, 12:27 AM
Banned

But then again garmin is satellite based so maybe this app is way more advanced...
Old 2/23/11, 05:21 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Ya hard to say unless also verified by another method (like try the 0-60 time on this while having somebody time you and compare), but Garmin is a good quality company so I would assume their GPS tech is decent.
Old 2/24/11, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

This doesn't strike me as being GPS-based, nor does it offer GPS functionality. This looks like it takes vehicle information from the OBD-II port (speed, fuel use, tach, coolant, etc.) and gives you mileage and performance info based off of that. Using a known weight, this would in fact be quite accurate. Assuming the speedo correctly matches your tire size, that is.
Old 2/24/11, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

I suspect it just uses the data from the car, which should be accurate assuming you don't spin the tires too much. Or perhaps it even tries to combine the GPS to make it more accurate with two different readings.
Old 2/24/11, 11:42 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
This looks like it takes vehicle information from the OBD-II port (speed, fuel use, tach, coolant, etc.) and gives you mileage and performance info based off of that. Using a known weight, this would in fact be quite accurate. Assuming the speedo correctly matches your tire size, that is.
Originally Posted by Lancel
I suspect it just uses the data from the car, which should be accurate assuming you don't spin the tires too much.
I was thinking about this device last night and I think you both nailed it. Since the OBDII can give real-time info on speed, fuel use, etc then it should be very accurate in calculating 0-60, manifold pressure, etc. It's coming right from the onboard computer.

Hmm for under $100 I think i'll give it a shot. Seems like a neat toy, plus since you can use on multiple cars I can always have fun with it on friend's rides too
Old 2/24/11, 01:30 PM
Banned

So it comes with a cord to go from your phone to your USB ll port?? Cause If it doesn't it just as useless as the iPhone app...
Old 2/24/11, 03:49 PM
GTR Member

As long as it has the proper PID values to extract data from the OBD2 port, this thing should be pretty good. I see it uses Blutooth to communicate either to a Nuvi/GPS or to the Android app. I'm intrigued.
Old 2/24/11, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea, it appears to be a bluetooth connection instead of wired. Depending on the app you have for the Iphone/Ipad, there is one that does the same thing just over an adhoc setup. You buy the adapter that attaches to your OBDII sensor and link it to the Iphone/Ipad. From what I've seen the app works really well, but then again it's all about getting the right one sense there seems to be alot of apps for the same thing.