2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Flatrock Commentary

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/11, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lincoln has a couple of ways they could take advantage of the next-gen Mustang chassis. Said Lincolns could be built Flat Rock. They could make a stretched version of the chassis and build a larger-than-Mustang coupe and called it the Mark 9. Or they could shorten it and make a two-seater.

I should think that Mazda's decision hasn't come as a shock to Ford and that they've got some contingency plans.
Old 6/17/11, 10:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
Lincoln has a couple of ways they could take advantage of the next-gen Mustang chassis. Said Lincolns could be built Flat Rock. They could make a stretched version of the chassis and build a larger-than-Mustang coupe and called it the Mark 9. Or they could shorten it and make a two-seater.

I should think that Mazda's decision hasn't come as a shock to Ford and that they've got some contingency plans.
Agreed. Ford already has narrowed it down to what will join the Mustang at Flat Rock. I guarantee that.
Old 6/17/11, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kristin7
I ordered my 2011 Mustang GT last year and it did take a little longer then expected but was so worth the wait. I live in Michigan and was very happy to hear my car was assembled in Flat Rock. I hope Ford will add another car to keep Flat Rock going. Why are people so hip on buying Camaros they are assembled in Canada!!!
My Engine and transmissions are from the U.S. and my MUSTANG was assembled in Flat Rock, MI! THAT is something to be proud of America. I get quite a bit of trash talk about my car with all the people that are centered around GM here and then I tell them my car was actually assembled in Michigan and they say Ford still uses parts from other countries. Well they do but make a big effort to be as american made as possible and they dont get all the help from the government.
So I say Go Ford, I LOVE my car and where it was built.
Great article!
actually your engines from Canada, and your tranny is from China...but thats besides the point....

great post, and love the posters comment above stating that the mustang outsold it 900 000 to zero lol...so true hahaha

And I would definatly love to see a true sports car or coupe from Lincoln...it's about time they get one on the market

Last edited by LLZuB; 6/17/11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 11:05 AM
GT Member

superb post. simply superb.

It was previously covered in another thread too that Mustangs sit on dealer lots (on average) less than Camaros. The Mustangs that are out there ARE selling; it's not like there's a surplus of stock, and it's not like dealers can't move the stock they have.

Leave it to the media to focus on the negative. It's sad that that's what western society can't get enough of.
Old 6/17/11, 11:29 AM
GT Member

It's just the media's typical sensationalism. The Mustang is still selling in respectable numbers considering the economy. Look at its sales compared to the Challenger. The Camaro is just the popular car at the moment and that will change with the Mustang's 2015 redesign.

If I were Ford, I'd release a new Lincoln LS in 2016 and a Mark IX in 2017, both based on the Mustang platform, and build them right alongside the Mustang at Flat Rock. Chrysler does with their 300, Charger, and Challenger at their Brampton plant and it works well.

Last edited by justindo; 6/17/11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 6/17/11, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

One thing I know is while my car sat at the dealer for about a week before me picking it up they said they could have sold it 20 times over. Like it has been said before, Ford has had other limiting factors on overall Mustang production and that is why they aren't selling as many. My Mustang was the only GT that dealer was getting for close to 2 months and it was just a drop off point.
Old 6/17/11, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Especially the lack of 3.7's. Ford's giving priority to the F-150.
Old 6/17/11, 01:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jza1736
I don't buy that 1 either. I think it's the production delays. The dealer in got my Boss in says he can't get any GT's.
I agree.
When I started looking for a replacement for my V6 Stang there were slim pickings on the lot for new and used.
The first dealer I went to offered me (on a wholesale buy) almost what I payed for the used car a year ago.
They really wanted even my V6.
Old 6/17/11, 01:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Also keep in mind that chevy took the buy out and Ford did everything on there own. Like develop the coyote engine.
Old 6/17/11, 04:59 PM

Great comments everyone. Thank you!
Old 6/18/11, 04:51 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Merging thread into general 2010+ section, but will leave a link for today . . .
Old 6/18/11, 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=LLZuB;6092128]actually your engines from Canada, and your tranny is from China...but thats besides the point....

My Parts content information lists U.S. as Country of Orgin for the Engine and transmission.

{ “country of origin”, when referring to the origin of an engine or transmission, means the country from which the largest share of the dollar value added to an engine or transmission has originated— }

So atleast there was a good bit of money put in from the U.S.that they could legally say that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
origin.pdf (31.4 KB, 169 views)
Old 6/18/11, 08:27 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by druice
Leave it to the media to focus on the negative. It's sad that that's what western society can't get enough of.
Well they are in the business of entertainment. Even the news.

Mustang is also the grandpa of the bunch. Sporty coupes typically have around a three to four year life span before sales start to stumble, especially when you have some new kids on the block (prior to 2009 Mustang was the only domestic sporty coupe and only one of a few reasonably priced RWD coupes).

The segement is mainly driven by looks, not performance. If you need proof, the "mayhem" package was already on the books as a performance option but nobody was buying it so Ford created a contest to generate some interest. The GT to some extent is a halo car and certainly the Boss and Shelby but any of the three aren't the main driving force in sales.

The Camaro depsite being the lesser car is a hot seller because its fresh and it gets noticed. If GM and Ford were using the same old plan (run a chassis into the ground by producung it for a decade or two) the car with the best marketing approach despite actual performance would win out in sales. We saw this with the previous generation. Despite its superior performance, GM's apathy toward the F-body twins doomed them by 2002, yet Ford with the Cobra and Bullitt and the Mach and so on continued to generate interest.

Round two of the pony car wars wil be starting here shortly and we will see how it goes? Mustang will have some new duds and some buzz possibly with things like IRS (for reasons outside of handling) and DI (for emissions) which wouldnt add any substantial gain but folks like to hear that stuff because it indicates progress and in the all important bench racing its good to have alot of ammo
Old 6/18/11, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Camaro is new & exciting looking, Mustang - eh, not so much.

Now this would never tempt me to buy a Heavy Chevy, but a lot of people don't care if they're driving 2 tons of bow tie, so long as it's new and hot looking.
Old 6/18/11, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=kristin7;6092548]
Originally Posted by LLZuB
actually your engines from Canada, and your tranny is from China...but thats besides the point....

My Parts content information lists U.S. as Country of Orgin for the Engine and transmission.

{ “country of origin”, when referring to the origin of an engine or transmission, means the country from which the largest share of the dollar value added to an engine or transmission has originated— }

So atleast there was a good bit of money put in from the U.S.that they could legally say that.
Thanks Kristin7 for posting the content pdf for your Mustaing (it's for your Mustang GT/CS, right?). I knew the 5.0 engine was assembled in Canada but was unaware of how much U.S. content this engine contained. Interestingly, most of the parts were manufactured in the U.S. Thanks again for sharing that and for your comment!