2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Flat Rock Ford plant to be idled

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/13, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crazy that plant workers get most of their wages - absolutely no other business would do this. Unions really are stupid (there was a time and place). Our cars wouldn't cost nearly as much without them.

Its pretty hard to watch the National Geographic documentary on the Flat Rock plant without coming to the conclusion that the people who build our cars earn their money. After watching them push around the machine that aligns our windows, I certainly don't begrudge them a dime.

Plus, who is to say they didn't do extra work last week in preparation for the shut down? After all, my car had a build date of 13 May, but it was built last week. Also, even when the plant is "shut down," I would guess a lot of people are working to install/maintain equipment, etc. Its not like they're all sitting at home sipping Capt n Cokes...

I have no love of unions (worked in one once- they're not a fantastic deal for the workers either, from my observation), but the problem isn't the union of today but rather the union of a couple decades ago. When times were flush, they negotiated Ford into ridiculous levels of compensation that came back to bite everyone when times got lean.

All I know is the people in the video looked pretty dedicated to- and grateful for- their jobs. They're building the highest quality Mustangs Ford has ever produced (I look forward to comparing the quality of my '14 to that of my '65 one of these days soon)!
Old 5/6/13, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
Its pretty hard to watch the National Geographic documentary on the Flat Rock plant without coming to the conclusion that the people who build our cars earn their money. After watching them push around the machine that aligns our windows, I certainly don't begrudge them a dime.

Plus, who is to say they didn't do extra work last week in preparation for the shut down? After all, my car had a build date of 13 May, but it was built last week. Also, even when the plant is "shut down," I would guess a lot of people are working to install/maintain equipment, etc. Its not like they're all sitting at home sipping Capt n Cokes...

I have no love of unions (worked in one once- they're not a fantastic deal for the workers either, from my observation), but the problem isn't the union of today but rather the union of a couple decades ago. When times were flush, they negotiated Ford into ridiculous levels of compensation that came back to bite everyone when times got lean.

All I know is the people in the video looked pretty dedicated to- and grateful for- their jobs. They're building the highest quality Mustangs Ford has ever produced (I look forward to comparing the quality of my '14 to that of my '65 one of these days soon)!
Very well said Pete!! Today's auto workers don't make nearly the wages or have the benefits of years past. I come from a long line of Ford factory workers dating back to 1908....my parents, grand parents, and uncles worked long and hard hours for their wages.
I was the first one in my direct family to not work for Ford in 70 or so years.

Last edited by Cobra 2997; 5/6/13 at 07:44 PM.
Old 5/7/13, 02:09 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rando
Crazy that plant workers get most of their wages - absolutely no other business would do this. Unions really are stupid (there was a time and place). Our cars wouldn't cost nearly as much without them.

Rando- I'm not in the union but I'm very pro-union. I believe American workers, union and otherwise, are the best in the world.

I'm in the corporate world where the union is our adversaries. And I can tell you first hand the reason why is because they simply want to pay them less.

Although unions have bad apples, the vast majority are hard workers. I can't speak for the rest of you, but I'd rather pay extra to ensure American workers get paid fair wages and benefits.

This is why I will only buy American cars. Unions are an equalizer for dealing with corporate bosses. The lowly worker doesn't have a leg to stand on when negotiating with his boss but the work force as a whole certainly does.

I don't mean to get all political but when I hear that anti-union stuff it smacks of right wing hackery. This is all just my opinion and I mean no offense.
Old 5/7/13, 05:21 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, don't turn this into a union discussion. Not the place for it.
Old 5/7/13, 06:36 AM
V6 Member

I wonder how many people that say they will only buy American cars really understand that MANY MANY parts in the "American" cars are from overseas? Mustang transmission is Chinese. Wheels are Chinese. Some engine components are Chinese. We live in a global economy now. Because of that we have companies like BMW, Toyota, Nissan, VW , etc... all have manufacturing plants here in the U.S. that employ thousands of U. S. workers. The same can be said for GM, Ford, and Chrysler. They have plants overseas that employ non-U.S. employees. The ability to only buying 100% union made American made cars is long over.. With that said, I'd rather buy cars from an American car company to support my American brothers and sisters - PERIOD!
Old 5/7/13, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pony-Ride makes a great point... The car I am trading in for my new Mustang is a BMW Z4 coupe that was assembled in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Old 5/7/13, 08:24 AM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you are saying Ford shouldn't pay the workers while they are being trained? I would have to say that most companies pay their new or current employees during training.
Old 5/7/13, 08:58 AM

You should check the salary and compensation at the top before you blame the hardworking men and women on the line.
Old 5/7/13, 11:41 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently people can't read. If you feel so inclined to share your feelings on the union and their wages, head to the off topic section. This thread is done.