Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flat Rock Ford Plant To Be Idled

April 20, 2013 at 1:00 am
Flat Rock Ford plant to be idled
Automaker needs time to prepare for Fusion production

· By Karl Henkel
· The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co.'s Flat Rock Assembly Plant will shut down for a month this summer to prepare for production of the Fusion mid-size car,the Dearborn automaker confirmed Friday.

Beginning the final week of June, Ford will idle the plant, which currently produces the Mustang during its one-shift operation, to train new workers and finalize current production plans for the Fusion.

The plant normally takes about two weeks off during summer months, a United Auto Workers official said; that idle time will be expanded this year. The plant will also be idled for a week in early May.

Fusion production at Flat Rock is slated to begin in late August, though that date has fluctuated, union officials have said. That means Fusion cars from Flat Rock would begin arriving at dealerships in late fall.

There is a vocal contingent of American Fusion fans that have already put off buying the new 2013 Fusion because it is built in Hermosillo, Mexico. Demand for that Fusion, however, has remained at record levels.

Ford sold more than 30,000 Fusions in March — a monthly sales record — and is looking to supplement production at its three-shift Hermosillo plant with an additional shift at Flat Rock.

Though the Mustang line will also shut down for a month,Ford doesn't have plans to ramp up production of the pony car in advance of the idle period; the plant is already producing the maximum number of Mustangs units eight-hour shift. And demand for the current generation Mustang has waned recently as talk of a new Mustang for 2015 heats up.

The Flat Rock Assembly Plant's 1,700 workers will get most of their pay during the changeover. When a second shift is added, the plant will employ more than 3,000.

khenkel@detroitnews.com
(313)222-2504
twitter.com/karlhenk

Last edited by Snoopy49; 4/22/13 at 11:40 PM.
Old 4/21/13, 11:55 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Ford, please schedule my GT 500 very soon. Not sure I have the patience if my car were to not be produced before the plant is idled.
Old 4/21/13, 01:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by saparish
Dear Ford, please schedule my GT 500 very soon. Not sure I have the patience if my car were to not be produced before the plant is idled.

I completely understand brother. Hope they get it to you real soon.
Old 4/22/13, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Karl should be idled, or at least shown what F7 (spellcheck) does and where it is on his keyboard.
Old 4/22/13, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
Wow. Karl should be idled, or at least shown what F7 (spell check) does and where it is on his keyboard.
I am afraid that it was my fault and not Karl's, I guess some of the formatting didn't follow when I cut and pasted the article.
Old 4/23/13, 04:31 PM
GT Member

This makes me so mad, I have a Vin number, a scheduled build week of 5/13, and a scheduled delivery week of 5/27. I just hope them closing down will not affect my build or anybody else's for that matter. Also does anybody know if once the car is built and released does the plant have to be open for it to be shipped or does it go to some third-party shipyard. Meaning if my car is build when they're open and scheduled to be shipped when they're closed will it still be shipped even know the plant is closed. Thanks
Old 4/23/13, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wentw1tj
This makes me so mad, I have a Vin number, a scheduled build week of 5/13, and a scheduled delivery week of 5/27. I just hope them closing down will not affect my build or anybody else's for that matter. Also does anybody know if once the car is built and released does the plant have to be open for it to be shipped or does it go to some third-party shipyard. Meaning if my car is build when they're open and scheduled to be shipped when they're closed will it still be shipped even know the plant is closed. Thanks
You should be ok, they are closing the last week of June, you may be driving it by then. I would think they will continue shipping during shut down.

Last edited by elkk; 4/23/13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 4/23/13, 04:44 PM
GT Member

Thank-you ELKK. so they are or are not closing for a week in may?
Old 4/23/13, 05:34 PM
GT Member

Thank-you ELKK. so they are or are not closing for a week in may?
Went1tj, I think it is idled the first full week in May. I have seen people post build dates the week of 4/29 and 5/13, but no 5/6. I am just guessing here, but it seems like that could be the case based upon people's posted build dates.
Old 4/23/13, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Went1tj, I think it is idled the first full week in May. I have seen people post build dates the week of 4/29 and 5/13, but no 5/6. I am just guessing here, but it seems like that could be the case based upon people's posted build dates.

Thank you, I should be ok than I hope? Build 5/13 week
Old 4/23/13, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just ordered my car today. I hope I can get it before they close in June.
Old 4/25/13, 07:48 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
This makes me so mad, I have a Vin number, a scheduled build week of 5/13, and a scheduled delivery week of 5/27. I just hope them closing down will not affect my build or anybody else's for that matter.
Originally Posted by elkk
You should be ok, they are closing the last week of June, you may be driving it by then. I would think they will continue shipping during shut down.
The plant is closing the week of May 6th, wentw1tj. As the guys mentioned, yours should be fine. Also, shipping does continue, even when the plant closes down.

Originally Posted by maverick1125
I’ll check on yours as soon as possible, maverick1125.

Deysha
Old 4/25/13, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Crazy that plant workers get most of their wages - absolutely no other business would do this. Unions really are stupid (there was a time and place). Our cars wouldn't cost nearly as much without them.
Old 4/25/13, 05:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
Crazy that plant workers get most of their wages - absolutely no other business would do this. Unions really are stupid (there was a time and place). Our cars wouldn't cost nearly as much without them.
Amen.
Old 5/5/13, 08:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by maverick1125
Hey Mav where did you order your Stang from? I live in OKC too.
Old 5/6/13, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I think I got my order in right in time... early April should have it built in late May (after the shutdown) for hopefully delivery in mid June. Would be painful to wait until July!
Old 5/6/13, 11:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
Basis for this opinion?
Old 5/6/13, 03:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Basis for this opinion?
The economy, the need for public funds to bail out the automakers, the wages paid to union workers, the economy...
Old 5/6/13, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
The economy, the need for public funds to bail out the automakers, the wages paid to union workers, the economy...
Specifically, I am asking about avoiding paying the wages for idling the Flat Rock plant would contribute to a noticeably less cost of the Mustang.
Old 5/6/13, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Hey Mav where did you order your Stang from? I live in OKC too.
I ordered my Mustang at Patriot Ford in Purcell. Very nice people to deal with.

http://www.patriotford.com/

Quick Reply: Flat Rock Ford plant to be idled