Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

First month with 2014 GT/CS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/14, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First month with 2014 GT/CS Convertible

Hello, everyone!

I've had a terrific first month with my new CS! Every day I just can't wait to drive it. Or just look at in the garage. It's definitely the most satisfying car I've ever owned.

10/10s:

- the sound of the exhaust is like no other. I tested a C7 Z51 with NPP exhaust and although it's great it just doesn't have that classic Mustang growl. It's intoxicating and makes just going for a drive to the store feel like I'm in a scene from Bullet.

- it's remarkably comfortable to drive for hours upon hours. I know it has a live rear axel, it reminds me often enough but it's just part of the Mustang character. The suede inserts really seem to make a difference, too.

- 420 ponies, there is no substitute (except 420+!)

- I love the feel and look of my Steeda black cue ball shift ****. Should be standard equipment.

- the overall look, particularly the front. And the black heat extractors against the red hood are gorgeous.

- the nav and Shaker Pro with the sub in the trunk is perfectly fine. I never get tired of the sounds my Mustang makes anyway.

Not so 10/10 & assorted oddities:

- maybe it has something to do with tradition but I don't understand why the windshield wiper is a **** on a stalk on the LEFT side. Very awkward location.

- the 2-3 shift. ****, it's almost impossible (for me) to do precisely. I'm installing an MGW shifter and I hope that helps.

- I generally prefer shiny machined-alloy wheels (the 2012 Shelby GT350 Cragar wheels are spectacular) but the CS's wheels are pretty decent for a black wheel. I hope to replace the wheels with with a larger/staggered set of alloys down the road.

- I wish I could fill the whole screen of the nav with one big picture instead of two little ones. Not a big deal.

- The gas mileage can be scary bad at times (I never look at the gauge estimates, I just don't want to know) and the lack of storage space is unfortunate.

EDIT: one more thing: there's a fairly prominent hum/drone at about 105-115 km/hr. I don't notice it with the top down. Unfortunately, that speed is a common speed on roads around here.

Mods I'm looking forward to:

- MGW shifter, Redline hood struts, wheels & tires, race-red coloured cap for antenna, one-touch turn signals/roof lower, and the GT500 steering wheel. And more and more detailing products (I've spent $400 so far) I love hand washing my Mustang!

Here's some pics:

Last edited by GT_FlyBy; 6/24/14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 6/24/14, 01:00 PM
V6 Member

Car looks awesome!
Old 6/24/14, 01:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Looks great! You'll need the GT500 shift and e-brake boots to match your new wheels.

Check out the Shelby CS70s - very similar design to the stock CS wheels, but staggered deep dish. Available in machined/gunmetal or machined/black (like the stock wheels). They're on my short list.

I'd at least do a GT500 axleback plus resonator delete. You'll love that exhaust even more!
Old 6/24/14, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_FlyBy
- I wish I could fill the whole screen of the nav with one big picture instead of two little ones. Not a big deal.
Are you talking about photographs specifically? In general, if you touch a pane it becomes full screen.

EDIT: one more thing: there's a fairly prominent hum/drone at about 105-115 km/hr. I don't notice it with the top down. Unfortunately, that speed is a common speed on roads around here.

Do you have 3.73s?
Old 6/24/14, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Are you talking about photographs specifically? In general, if you touch a pane it becomes full screen.

Do you have 3.73s?
Hi, berzerk,

On my nav, if I touch the picture on the left or right side, the options screen opens and allows me to select a different picture or slightly modify the picture. I have seen other Ford navs that can fill the whole screen with one picture but I think that's not possible with Mustang nav. Regarding the rear end, I assumed it was 3.31, standard on the CS.
Old 6/24/14, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Looks great! You'll need the GT500 shift and e-brake boots to match your new wheels.

Check out the Shelby CS70s - very similar design to the stock CS wheels, but staggered deep dish. Available in machined/gunmetal or machined/black (like the stock wheels). They're on my short list.

I'd at least do a GT500 axleback plus resonator delete. You'll love that exhaust even more!
Hi, laserred,

Thanks for the recommendation on the suede boots. Yes, they might be interesting, too. Regarding wheels, I was thinking of something more along these lines:

Regarding changing the exhaust, the exhaust is so perfect now I am happy to stay stock.
Old 6/24/14, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hi, laserred, Thanks for the recommendation on the suede boots. Yes, they might be interesting, too. Regarding wheels, I was thinking of something more along these lines: Regarding changing the exhaust, the exhaust is so perfect now I am happy to stay stock.
Partscheap.com has the suede boots...

I do like those wheels too!

Stock exhaust is wayyyy too quiet lol but you have a vert so maybe you can hear it better
Old 6/24/14, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Welcome and beautiful car. The MGW shifter is a great mod and it will help tremendously, but wont eliminate the shifting problems 100%. Probably 95% or so better. The 1-2 and 2-3 are much improve, and the shifter has a very solid feel, very little play in it. Changing the tran fluid will help as well.

The red line hood struts also another very nice and easy to install mod. I really like them.

Gas mileage. This is all over, and varies depending on the driver and conditions. It does get better after a few thousand miles after breaking in. The worst I've had city is 15 something, and on a recent road trip I was getting 26-27 highway. Not too bad for the type of car it is. Search the forum on this topic there are several threads on it.
Old 6/24/14, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats to a fellow CS owner! Nice review. I can't say it enough... Get the MGW. Don't even wait. It makes a world of difference. I am also with you on the wheels. The GT's should come stock with 275 rear wheels. That's what the Shelby comes with. Heck, the Shelby should have 295's or wider.
Old 6/28/14, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Be-U-Tee-Full. Nothing like a ragtop Mustang. Enjoy

BTW, the mpg's will improve. My biggest problem is that skinny pedal in the floor board. It's to damned easy to push down.
Old 6/28/14, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
Be-U-Tee-Full. Nothing like a ragtop Mustang. Enjoy

BTW, the mpg's will improve. My biggest problem is that skinny pedal in the floor board. It's to damned easy to push down.
Thanks, wanted33! Yes, I've noticed the mileage getting better already.
Old 6/28/14, 05:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
beautiful car!