2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

First Impressions/Review of the Lund Racing's Ghost Cams Tune

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/11 | 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Oh, not to mention, this isn't the time or the place for you to swing your nuts..make your own thread, pretty please
^this
Old 7/1/11 | 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's a V8 that revs 7,000 plus from the factory. It has some cam. Ford used the ti vct to take the lope out, this is just showing what the cams truly sound like, not adding something that isn't there.
Old 7/7/11 | 01:26 PM

I loaded mine Tuesday as well. Previously had a BBR tune and I got.the lund 93 aggressive cam tune.(yes I know the cam option does nothing for performance). Compared to my previous tune nothing but a huge grin Everytime I turn the key
Old 7/7/11 | 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Unfortunately I haven't had any time to get out with someone to film with me, so no revs and/or around town driving to show you how it functions just yet. Sorry

A few other notes, as I've been driving this thing like crazy trying to test all possible scenarios for anyone curious:

Gas Mileage: Well, I've blown through two tanks with this thing so far. My first tank was 19.5 MPG, and the second was 20.1 MPG. Most people would consider that pretty high, but compared to my usual 22-23 MPG, that's a substantial drop for me. I think a lot of the difference is actually due to my excitement of getting the tune.

When taking into consideration the total amount of time I've spent just cruising through parking lots, sitting in traffic jams, sitting in my driveway while the family checks it out, starting it up so a certain CTS-V-owning neighbor could have a listen, and just getting on it constantly to determine if there is any power loss (yeah, that's why, lol), I think those are pretty great numbers. In fact, I think if I went back to my usual driving habits, and stopped hooning so much, I might be able to nearly match my usual numbers, which is pretty awesome.

Air Conditioning: With the AC on at a dead stop, the car will lope, kind of. Every 20-30 seconds, just as the car does on the stock tune, with the AC on the idle will raise about 100 RPM or so for a few seconds. This stops the lope for those few seconds, then the idle dips and it continues. Other than that, it lopes just as usual, albiet at a slightly higher RPM.

Heat: All this week, we've been seeing around 100* temperatures everyday here in MD. At this temp, compared to low 80's when I first posted, the lope seems to be more erratic than usual. The idle seems to hunt a lot more with the higher temps; not necessarily something a random bystander will notice, as it still sounds great, but it's definitely affected by the heat, moreso than a standard tune.

Power: Power is awesome, everywhere in the rev band. Absolutely no difference, other than the lope, from a standard Lund 93 tune.

Low RPM: I was able to go down as low as 1200 RPM without the car bucking. While this is still a lot higher RPM than a standard tune will allow you to cruise at, this is a whole lot better than my aforementioned 1500 RPM, as you can (with 3.73's, anyways) roll slowly in traffic, in first, without it trying to stall.

I was in a 20 minute or so traffic jam the other day, and my original post's scenario came to life, lol. People would move about one car length..then stop. No constant movement, so I had to slip the clutch to get moving, then stop, over and over again. In practice, it really isn't so bad, and having the car loping really made the situation quite enjoyable, at least for me.

I'm pretty sure I had more scenarios I wanted to relay to you all, but I can't remember anymore at the moment. I'll comment later with more results!
Old 7/7/11 | 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like how every "complaint" people have about the lope tune is exactly the same complaints one would have about a big cam/cams.
Old 7/8/11 | 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
I like how every "complaint" people have about the lope tune is exactly the same complaints one would have about a big cam/cams.
I'm not sure if you were making a generalization or directing that to me, but, just in case, let me just say: The purpose of this thread is not to complain, but rather, to educate. Every post I'd seen prior never seemed to go into detail about the negatives of a cammed tune, they just touched on the good parts. I'm just wanting everyone to know the ins and outs of cam tune ownership, because it's definitely a worthwhile mod.
Old 7/8/11 | 06:42 AM

Im sure he's talking in general. I see the same thing.
Old 7/8/11 | 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I'm not sure if you were making a generalization or directing that to me, but, just in case, let me just say: The purpose of this thread is not to complain, but rather, to educate. Every post I'd seen prior never seemed to go into detail about the negatives of a cammed tune, they just touched on the good parts. I'm just wanting everyone to know the ins and outs of cam tune ownership, because it's definitely a worthwhile mod.
No no no don't take that the wrong way, def not a jab at you or anything. I think you're write up was excellent. If anything it was an observation about how some people say "its a ricer mod to make it sound like something that isn't there". Well if it's "not really there" why do people who take away the Ti-VCT's ability to smooth out the idle describe the car EXACTLY the same way one with a big cam/cams would be described? The answer is because the car has some cam. And this lets everyone hear it. Besides most of the people hating on it probably don't have Ti-VCT and are just jealous.

I can't WAIT to make all my GM fanboy friends with ~.600" lift cammed LS motors mad when I can roll around loping like they do, then get my gas mileage back and smooth ride back by switching tunes. (all performance aspects aside, thats just awesome) I just hope the cammed tunes are available when I get my car in a couple weeks.
Old 7/8/11 | 08:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

KonaBlue5.0,
Awesome post... thanks for the detailed and honest impressions.
It does indeed sound mean as hell
...probably good enough for most to live with the downsids to this mod.
Old 7/8/11 | 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
No no no don't take that the wrong way, def not a jab at you or anything. I think you're write up was excellent. If anything it was an observation about how some people say "its a ricer mod to make it sound like something that isn't there". Well if it's "not really there" why do people who take away the Ti-VCT's ability to smooth out the idle describe the car EXACTLY the same way one with a big cam/cams would be described? The answer is because the car has some cam. And this lets everyone hear it. Besides most of the people hating on it probably don't have Ti-VCT and are just jealous.

I can't WAIT to make all my GM fanboy friends with ~.600" lift cammed LS motors mad when I can roll around loping like they do, then get my gas mileage back and smooth ride back by switching tunes. (all performance aspects aside, thats just awesome) I just hope the cammed tunes are available when I get my car in a couple weeks.
If for some reason Lund pulls the tune again, you might still be in luck. I've been in fairly constant contact with Torq (gettorq.com), and they've been building an in-house cammed tune for the last few months. They've got a few out to people for testing, but it isn't quite ready for public consumption. The tuner over there has been back and forth to Sweden for tuning events, so it's taken a bit longer than anticipated.

When they do finally release theirs, I'll most likely pick up a set and test it out as well.
Old 7/8/11 | 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
KonaBlue5.0,
Awesome post... thanks for the detailed and honest impressions.
It does indeed sound mean as hell
...probably good enough for most to live with the downsids to this mod.

Thanks for the kind words! I think more people should give this tune a try, it really is great.
Old 7/8/11 | 10:36 AM
V6 Member

Great write-up! Thanks for sharing. While I'd never consider this tune for myself, it's great to read thoughtful reviews here.