Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

For the few that have got to drive a 2011 GT....

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/10, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm pretty sure he was asking about the rear end...

And I'm guessing you would have known if you got skip-shifted; it would force you to shift from 1st to 4th, probably noticeably bogging the engine...
We have skip shift? Say it aint so!
Old 5/7/10, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, there's a skipshift.
Old 5/7/10, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm pretty sure he was asking about the rear end...
Yup.

Looks like excitement got the best of you!!

Probably was a 3.31 but maybe not. Sounds like the gear was not a problem.
Old 5/7/10, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
The one thing I'm kicking myself about...
I looked the car up and down,
but after starting it... I didn't go listen to what it sounds like ...
Drove it, and shut it down.

Bummer...
Guess I just have to go back and give'r another run

I'll take an exhaust clip of the 5.0 when my dad takes me to the dealer to test drive one, not sure when that will be though.
Old 5/7/10, 09:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
My guess ... test drive a 4.0 V6 ... and then test drive a 4.6 GT .... that should be a similar comparison of the 4.6 GT to the 5.0 GT ...
That would be exactly how it feels. I just back from driving the 11' GT w/auto. After driving it tonight and the 10' GT w/stick a week ago. To me the difference is like night and day. The power the new 5.0 puts down is down right unreal. I wish they would have had the manual to compare, but I can only imagine that it would feel even better, especially with 3.73 gears.

The auto shifted quickly and slammed me back in my seat pretty well. Overall, I am very impressed with the 5.0, kudo's to Ford!
Old 5/8/10, 08:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The car I drove had 3.55s
Old 5/8/10, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The car I drove had 3.55s
Thanks.
Old 5/8/10, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have not driven a 11 Gt but I am dieing to. We have a 03 Mach 1 and a 06 Gt vert auto. The mach is stronger no doubt. The GT is is just too heavy and the auto pulls is down somewhat. I am dieing to drive a new 5 liter Mustang.

This is the first time I have had in years to part with my Mach 1. Still yet, I am hesitant. I just love this car. I have not been this excited in a long time. Take me back to 2003 when the Mach 1;s and terminators came out. thats how excited I am.
Old 5/8/10, 04:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Boomer!

I'm glad to hear that the clutch is lighter, my trick knee isn't getting any younger! lol

So I finally drove a 5.0L today....

WOW....

This thing is pretty special.
Now I came in driving my 2005 4.6 5speed, and i've driven a couple 2010 GTs..
The 2011 GT is a seriously another milestone in the legacy.
2005 brought the looks, 2010 brought the refinement, 2011 brings the heat.

My 2005 feels like a ****box now...hehehe... Ok well not quite, but it deftinately doesn't have the get up and go, and refinement + looks of the new cars. Looks are subjective but this thing hauls.

Now I couldn't really take this thing for a 'good ole fashion flogging' it was raining, it wasn't my car, and as soon as I really got it going, I got stuck in stop/go traffic for 10 min...gave me time to explore the interior some more.

Starting it up and getting it going got me giddy. This reminded me of how much I love the new for 2010 interior... the interior even with the sound pipe...quiet. Sound quality is great, but the volume just isn't there.. (Mind you I'm coming from a 4.6 with xpipe and borla stingers...)

When I first put the clutch down on this car, I almost threw it through the floor...its incredilby light and EASY. Mine by comparison feels like I'm working out with a weight machine. It is a very easy flowing clutch pedal. Bit harder to feel where the clutch engages compared to the older gen.

The 6 speed shifter has the same head as my car, but the position of the shifter feels different.
The shifting doesn't require as much travel and sometimes you are guessing what gear you are in (comparing my old 5 speed where its pretty darn obvious by looking at the handle) I never missed a gear or anything, but that too is really quiet, compared to the symphony of metal clanging in my car...
It's very smooth and VERY easy to drive. (so smooth infact that when I got back in my car, I thought there was somethign wrong with the clutch, and I was used to the short shifts in the 2011...I actually grinded 2nd by accident...)

Driving, for a 412hp beast, its very tame...until you drop the hammer.
Holy hell.... it goes from soft and quiet to visceral in 4.3 seconds...
SUCH a fun car to drive. I really wish I hadn't hit the traffic on the highway and had a bit more fun with it.

This car was equipped with brembos, and it stopped nicely when it needed to (when I hit the stop and go) but I'm sure the regular brakes are awsome too, these'll just resist fade more.
And it was nice that the clutch was light, cause after sitting in stop/go to GET to my destination, my left leg looked like Popeye sized.

I'd totally rock the glassroof. This car didn't have it, but a Roush I sat in did.
Wouldn't go without one if I could. That and NextGenNav ... love that system.

Heated seats were nice, but I see what people mean with the one setting only.
Nice, but gets a bit TOO toasty after a while....
Old 5/8/10, 07:20 PM

Is it possible to easily defeat or remove the skipshift? I seem to recall that the Pontiac GTO and G8 were easy to defeat. *I found it* Can we do this on a Mustang?

http://jalopnik.com/5252686/how-to-d...or-seven-bucks
Old 5/8/10, 07:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

There's a lot threads on that already.......

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Is it possible to easily defeat or remove the skipshift? I seem to recall that the Pontiac GTO and G8 were easy to defeat. *I found it* Can we do this on a Mustang?

http://jalopnik.com/5252686/how-to-d...or-seven-bucks
Old 5/8/10, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Falchion
There's a lot threads on that already.......
Sorry didn't see it. What year did Mustangs start getting this feature?
Old 5/8/10, 08:57 PM

This is the first year I do believe... off topic, are you a fellow controller?
Old 5/8/10, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Genot
This is the first year I do believe... off topic, are you a fellow controller?
Yes FAA, tower/tracon. You?
Old 5/8/10, 10:08 PM

FAA stand alone TRACON. A couple of older FPLs plus the NATCA rep are giving me flack over my 2011 not being here yet. I may have some challengers at work in the form of a Vette, 95 cobra and a 370Z though. Can't wait.
Old 5/9/10, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Genot
FAA stand alone TRACON. A couple of older FPLs plus the NATCA rep are giving me flack over my 2011 not being here yet. I may have some challengers at work in the form of a Vette, 95 cobra and a 370Z though. Can't wait.
LOL, I have a 2009 370Z. I really like it, but I've always been a Ford guy (had 5 wife has a Focus) and I love the sound of an American V8!
Old 5/9/10, 06:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevys
I have not driven a 11 Gt but I am dieing to. We have a 03 Mach 1 and a 06 Gt vert auto. The mach is stronger no doubt. The GT is is just too heavy and the auto pulls is down somewhat. I am dieing to drive a new 5 liter Mustang.

This is the first time I have had in years to part with my Mach 1. Still yet, I am hesitant. I just love this car. I have not been this excited in a long time. Take me back to 2003 when the Mach 1;s and terminators came out. thats how excited I am.

I had a 04 mach---screaming yellow---car was GORGEOUS

I got a sick deal on it when the 05's were dropping

I’m going to disagree-----the 05-09's are just as fast as the mach

The mach FEELS faster due to the lack of the electronic throttle the newer have, also its hard to explain but the "sense" of speed is not a strong in the newer stangs as they were in the mach, but your going just as fast

JMHO
Old 5/9/10, 06:35 AM

I had an 03 Mach1 and just bought a 2010 GT. They both feel the same to me as well.
FWIW, I also supercharged the Mach1. I assume the 11 gt must feel pretty close power wise to the sc'd Mach, which is impressive.
Old 5/9/10, 07:30 AM
GTR Member

Electronic throttle response without a tune always has a numb feeling. That's one thing that I'd immediately fix.
Old 5/9/10, 09:00 AM

I have a 2010 Mustang GT (manual, 3.73 Rear Axle) and its fast! But I'm starting to wonder if the new 5.0s are going to change that.

Whenever you drive a Shelby GT500, you know that the car get get away from you if you push it too hard...but with the '10 GTs...you feel in control, in power...but safe.

We want that dangerousness feeling. lol

Quick Reply: For the few that have got to drive a 2011 GT....