2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/13, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the ride Danielle. That was fun! The Borla S does sound nice under throttle but calms down a lot when cruising in overdrive. Won't scramble your brain like poor karrnutt's Roush pipes.

I like open headers myself. But then I get a lot of haters saying there's something wrong with me. Soooo...

"I don't always muffle, but when I do I choose Borla S-Type."
Old 12/6/13, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GT500s and Resonator Deletes. Inexpensive and nice sound.
Old 12/6/13, 04:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
My first suggestion would be Magnaflow streets as a lower cost alternative to Borla. A friend I work with has them on his 5.0 with resonator delete and it sounds great. Second choice would be GT500 with res delete.
Can you be more specific with the mag streets (item/model no. ) so I can check those out. Stupid question wWho manufactures the GT500?

Thanks
Old 12/6/13, 04:12 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Go with the GT500 axlebacks and remove the resonators.

or beter yet....

Go with the Borla.

This is my car w/Borla. in car, top down. Sorry about the wind noise and my amateur driver, lol. God this was the best day ever, roaring through the mountainside. Warm, 77* out, top down, sunny, but not beating sun. Just wish my fiancee wouldn't have been so afraid to wind out the gears. Rapid elevation changes though. It felt like we were going a lot faster than it actually looks like on camera.

A little cruise... - YouTube
Very nice! Axexbacks or what?
Old 12/6/13, 08:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by p0ny
Stupid question wWho manufactures the GT500?

Thanks
Uh, if I remember correctly, Ford makes the GT500...

Ford Racing sells the GT500 mufflers as aftermarket replacements for the GT.

Go through American Muscle to buy, but first contact one of the A/M forum reps and ask for the discount code.
Old 12/6/13, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Not sure if added performance is something you want to consider as part of your goal, but if it is you should be aware that borlas and kooks do not produce as much of an increase as other brands. If sound is all you want, borla is fine, but for something more you be better off with a different brand. I used American racing long tubes with my stock axle backs; flowmaster also produces marginally better power more often than not as well. It's worth noting that American racing exhaust products are what the CobraJet uses; the headers fit the exhaust ports perfectly on mustangs. There are several strang owners I've run into around my area that have gone with various different exhausts and they run short of what the speed shop put on mine in terms of horsepower and torque. In one case, my gains in both were higher than the other guy's setup by double digits. His was a borla. Sounded great, but he yanked them and went with American Racing 1 7/8" long tubes.
Are you just referring to the headers? I believe the OP is just wanting Axlebacks, or at most Catbacks...
Old 12/6/13, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Go with the GT500 axlebacks and remove the resonators.

or beter yet....

Go with the Borla.

This is my car w/Borla. in car, top down. Sorry about the wind noise and my amateur driver, lol. God this was the best day ever, roaring through the mountainside. Warm, 77* out, top down, sunny, but not beating sun. Just wish my fiancee wouldn't have been so afraid to wind out the gears. Rapid elevation changes though. It felt like we were going a lot faster than it actually looks like on camera.

A little cruise... - YouTube
Sounds great! Now I am leaning towards the S types...
Old 12/6/13, 11:09 AM
V6 Member

Interesting.... I spoke to a mechanic. He suggested the Magnaflow 11226 muffler. Can custom fit it using my tips and tubes. Has anyone done this, where you happy in the end and did you get the sound you expected? How can I hear a sound clip on this?

Here is the link http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=11226

Last edited by p0ny; 12/8/13 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12/6/13, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by narphenal
Are you just referring to the headers? I believe the OP is just wanting Axlebacks, or at most Catbacks...
So was I, until I saw the torque gains from long tubes.
Old 12/6/13, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Can you be more specific with the mag streets (item/model no. ) so I can check those out. Stupid question wWho manufactures the GT500?

Thanks
Sure, but I just looked at them and there almost as much as the Borla S-Types so imo the S-types would be the way to go. I didn't realize they were about the same price online.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaf...ck-2011gt.html
Old 12/6/13, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
So was I, until I saw the torque gains from long tubes.
I'll definitely agree with you there. I am personally thinking about just getting a Borla Catback for now, then topping it off with ARH Long Tubes with catted midpipe down the road when I get the spare dosh.
Old 12/6/13, 01:23 PM
GTR Member

Interesting.... I spoke to my mechanic. He suggested the Magnaflow 11226 muffler. Can custom fit it using my tips and tubes. Has anyone done this, where you happy in the end and did you get the sound you expected? How can I hear a sound clip on this?

Here is the link http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=11226
Link doesn't work, but you're better off buying an axle back set instead of having a shop cobble something together.
Old 12/6/13, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like a nice subtle rumble from my cars too, which is exactly why I have flow master outlaws, high flow cats, resonator deletes, and boss side pipes.
Old 12/6/13, 02:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI: Borla S Types sound awesome, but are loud. For "medium sound" I think the Touring model would be better.
Old 12/6/13, 04:05 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by theACE
I like a nice subtle rumble from my cars too, which is exactly why I have flow master outlaws, high flow cats, resonator deletes, and boss side pipes.
Ha, Ha, Ha!
Old 12/6/13, 05:07 PM
V6 Member

Im curious about something. Can you talk on the phone or is there too much noise from any of these exhausts?
Old 12/6/13, 05:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Link doesn't work, but you're better off buying an axle back set instead of having a shop cobble something together.
yea after talking to others I'm not going that route. I actually think I may bite the bullet and go for the Borlas. Either S Type or Touring. I know, I know I am all over the map....LOL
Old 12/6/13, 05:32 PM

Don't waste your time and money. Corsa extreme gives the sound you want outside and a nice drown free sound inside.
Old 12/6/13, 05:33 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 1960strat
Don't waste your time and money. Corsa extreme gives the sound you want outside and a nice drown free sound inside.
You just had to stir the pot huh???
Old 12/6/13, 05:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
yea after talking to others I'm not going that route. I actually think I may bite the bullet and go for the Borlas. Either S Type or Touring. I know, I know I am all over the map....LOL
Been telling you that from day 1. Here's one of my vids. I can find more.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrade