Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Exhaust Upgrade

Old 12/2/13, 08:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2011 GT 5.0. Currently have stock exhaust and thinking about upgrading. thinking about Flowmaster 40 series. I know there is probably going to be a difference of opinion here so let me say that i am female and not planning on racing but i would like a nice medium rumble sound. With that said what is the simplest cost effective way to go about getting the sound i want?

Thanks
Old 12/2/13, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I think you're right, and depends on what sound you're looking for. If you just want a little louder and deeper throaty sound a set of Ford Racing GT500 mufflers might be just the thing. Plus they are ~$300 so pretty reasonable (that's what I went with)

But if you like more volume and rasp, Roush, Magnaflow, Flowmaster or Corsa may be what you're really after.
Old 12/2/13, 09:21 PM

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...aust-Tech-News

An axel-back is going to be closest to what you're looking for, bassani is my favorite. Check out late model resto's videos so you can hear the differences between brands.
Old 12/3/13, 12:10 PM
Banned

eh I'm female and I've modded the hell out of my car. :-P
Old 12/3/13, 12:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
eh I'm female and I've modded the hell out of my car. :-P
Nice (Y)
Old 12/3/13, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Roush system on my car and I really like it but it may be a little louder than what you want. The Flowmaster 40 series is their loudest muffler and also may be louder than what you want. The GT500 mufflers would probably be a good choice.

Wayne
Old 12/3/13, 05:57 PM
Banned

Personal opinion, but after having Flowmasters on multiple cars, the Flowmasters for this gen Mustang sound rather boring. I had the GT500 Axlebacks, but later switched to Borla S-Types.
Old 12/3/13, 06:14 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I have the Roush system on my car and I really like it but it may be a little louder than what you want.
Same here. The Roush is nothing nice. And it's not quiet. lol
To the OP, a lot of people here go with Borlas.
Old 12/3/13, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

Hard to beat GT500s for starters, for price and sound.
Old 12/3/13, 08:17 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Same here. The Roush is nothing nice. And it's not quiet. lol To the OP, a lot of people here go with Borlas.
You got that right tony
Old 12/4/13, 05:23 AM
V6 Member

Listed to a lot on the internet but it's really hard for me to know if what I am listening to is what I will get. I really only wanted to install the axel-back (still debating on the manufacturer)... I agree the Borla sounds very dreamy to me but Borla is not inexpensive. So is it possible to get something similar to that rumble by installing the axel back only and leaving the stock flow tubes and headers in place or is something more done i should know about?

what is drone and why do some complain about it and some not? Does Flowmaster (40 Series) produce more drone than others? Does it have anything to do with the install?

Thanks all
Old 12/4/13, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Drone is vibration like in school when they would hit the two post metal thing (don't know name of it) and it would make a sound and vibrate. I have pype bombs because they were only black pype on market at the time. The drone was HORRIBLE for first 500-1000 miles while breaking them in. Had to wear ear plugs a long trip cause the drone was giving me headache but now holding at 2k rpm there is slight drone but barely noticeable and doesnt vibrate the interior of the vehicle anymore.
Old 12/4/13, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The drone that everyone refers to is a resonance tone that occurs at cruise speeds (usually around 2000 rpm). It may sound good outside the vehicle but inside it can get pretty annoying. I've had Flowmasters on several vehicles and they all had drone.
For the money you can't beat the sound of the GT500's.
Old 12/4/13, 06:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by p0ny
Listed to a lot on the internet but it's really hard for me to know if what I am listening to is what I will get. I really only wanted to install the axel-back (still debating on the manufacturer)... I agree the Borla sounds very dreamy to me but Borla is not inexpensive. So is it possible to get something similar to that rumble by installing the axel back only and leaving the stock flow tubes and headers in place or is something more done i should know about?

what is drone and why do some complain about it and some not? Does Flowmaster (40 Series) produce more drone than others? Does it have anything to do with the install?

Thanks all
My first suggestion would be Magnaflow streets as a lower cost alternative to Borla. A friend I work with has them on his 5.0 with resonator delete and it sounds great. Second choice would be GT500 with res delete.
Old 12/4/13, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I vote for borla even though i have gt500s with res del. i have went to lot of stang cruises and every time i drive along side borlas it makes me feel i should have taken that route.
Old 12/4/13, 09:05 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by p0ny
Listed to a lot on the internet but it's really hard for me to know if what I am listening to is what I will get. I really only wanted to install the axel-back (still debating on the manufacturer)... I agree the Borla sounds very dreamy to me but Borla is not inexpensive. So is it possible to get something similar to that rumble by installing the axel back only and leaving the stock flow tubes and headers in place or is something more done i should know about? what is drone and why do some complain about it and some not? Does Flowmaster (40 Series) produce more drone than others? Does it have anything to do with the install? Thanks all
That's why you pay for borlas. Quality, sound, and no drone. Period. I've heard a lot of the alternatives live and in person and in cruises etc. nothing sounds as good as a full borla catback.

Originally Posted by CiniZter
I vote for borla even though i have gt500s with res del. i have went to lot of stang cruises and every time i drive along side borlas it makes me feel i should have taken that route.
Shiaz, you can still switch. I too, went the gt500 axleback route, then sold that after a few months when I heard the borlas in person. First went axleback then upgraded again to the full catback. Never looked back since. I've converted many of my car show buddies, friends, etc.... When they hear mine compared to theirs and others, it's game over.

Sell your current setup. Many folks on here who still want it... Let them have it
Old 12/4/13, 09:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Shiaz, you can still switch. I too, went the gt500 axleback route, then sold that after a few months when I heard the borlas in person. First went axleback then upgraded again to the full catback. Never looked back since. I've converted many of my car show buddies, friends, etc.... When they hear mine compared to theirs and others, it's game over.

Sell your current setup. Many folks on here who still want it... Let them have it
Barton: i wanna do it badly... waiting to get out of the apartment before i do it.
Old 12/4/13, 06:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've ran the S types, a very well sounding exhaust but I question quality at time (for the cost), can't beat the sound though. I've had great luck with Kooks, MRT and Corsa.
Old 12/4/13, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
My first suggestion would be Magnaflow streets as a lower cost alternative to Borla. A friend I work with has them on his 5.0 with resonator delete and it sounds great. Second choice would be GT500 with res delete.
resonator delete?
Old 12/4/13, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

I think the GT500 mufflers are not loud enough for me from what i heard on the internet. But its not too far off. I definitely want to be heard but not so loud i cant hear myself think

What are some opinions about Roush axel-backs? Do they have lots of drone. Does drone have anything to do with installation?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrade