Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/13, 08:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by p0ny
resonator delete?
I think the GT500 mufflers are not loud enough for me from what i heard on the internet. But its not too far off. I definitely want to be heard but not so loud i cant hear myself think

What are some opinions about Roush axel-backs? Do they have lots of drone. Does drone have anything to do with installation?
Flowmaster 40's are just not the hot ticket.

From your description of what you are looking for, I think the GT500's are going to work for you, and if you put them on and still want a little more volume then you can delete the resonators and get more sound.

The resonators on your car are just small round mufflers that are in the system just in front of the rear axle, simple thing for a muffler shop to cut them out and put a straight pipe in their place.
_
Old 12/5/13, 05:21 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so i have narrowed my search to two the Roush axelback or the GT500 with res delete.. can the res del also be done if I decide to install Roush? If so is that a good idea and what would that do to the sound?

Thanks
Old 12/5/13, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any modification - cat delete, res delete, change mid pipes etc - changes the roush tone enough that you probably won't like it. It sounds amazing with all else stock though.
If you plan on keeping all else stock get the roush - if you want to modify other parts of the exhaust down the road go a different route.

Personally I don't like the gt500 system but I know most everyone else does ... I'd recommend the kooks axle back vs the gt500. Kooks would be fine res delete as well.
Old 12/5/13, 07:39 AM
GTR Member

Your original post says you want a "medium" rumble exhaust note, the Roush is going to be louder than that.

And you can do the resonator delete with any axle back exhaust.

Maybe you should find someone local to you that has the Roush and GT500 mufflers on their car so you can listen to it in person, youtube vids are okay but not as good as hearing it in person.

The vids of my car with the Outlaws on it just doesn't do it justice, sounds so much better in person.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 12/5/13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12/5/13, 08:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The vids of my car with the Outlaws on it just doesn't do it justice, sounds so much better in person.
^ i can vouch for that. i still remember the first time i heard it.. its awesome.
Old 12/5/13, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up

I have had both Roush and GT500 axle backs. The Roush sound is fabulous ,but it is loud inside and out .What caused me to change was a seven hour drive to see my newest grandson.The sound wore on me so much that I arrived mentally and physically exhausted. The return home was no better and decided to change post haste ! I ordered the Gt 500's from A. M. and installed them immediately. Wow ! What a change ! The whole car seemed new again. The sound of the exhaust was more subtle ; it could still be heard when I got on it but it was very,very quiet at cruising. You can't beat it for the sound or the price. Of course , I'm 72 and have different sensibilities than someone in their thirties or so.
Old 12/5/13, 11:32 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
^ i can vouch for that. i still remember the first time i heard it.. its awesome.
vid?
Old 12/5/13, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Like everyone said, maybe they sound different in person, but listening to all the video's if I ever get a v8 (maybe the rebates will jump on the 14's now!!!) I think it will be the GT500's I put on, to me they do exactly what I would want, a little louder but much deeper and full sounding...and half the price.....just my opinion...
Old 12/5/13, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
Like everyone said, maybe they sound different in person, but listening to all the video's if I ever get a v8 (maybe the rebates will jump on the 14's now!!!) I think it will be the GT500's I put on, to me they do exactly what I would want, a little louder but much deeper and full sounding...and half the price.....just my opinion...
My opinion as well. I just got mine in the mail yesterday! I think I'll wait till spring to put them on since my garage is not heated, but it will be a tough wait. AM had a sale on them last weekend, they were $294 shipped. Can't beat the price!
Old 12/5/13, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
My opinion as well. I just got mine in the mail yesterday! I think I'll wait till spring to put them on since my garage is not heated, but it will be a tough wait. AM had a sale on them last weekend, they were $294 shipped. Can't beat the price!
Put them on - its like a 45 minute job including jacking up the car. Probably 25 minutes if you have done a muffler swap on the Mustang before and read up a bit before tackling it. It's worth it. Just wear a sweatshirt
Old 12/5/13, 04:59 PM
Banned

I think the GT500 mufflers are not loud enough for me from what i heard on the internet. But its not too far off. I definitely want to be heard but not so loud i cant hear myself think

What are some opinions about Roush axel-backs? Do they have lots of drone. Does drone have anything to do with installation?
Go with the GT500 axlebacks and remove the resonators.

or beter yet....

Go with the Borla.

This is my car w/Borla. in car, top down. Sorry about the wind noise and my amateur driver, lol. God this was the best day ever, roaring through the mountainside. Warm, 77* out, top down, sunny, but not beating sun. Just wish my fiancee wouldn't have been so afraid to wind out the gears. Rapid elevation changes though. It felt like we were going a lot faster than it actually looks like on camera.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 12/5/13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12/5/13, 05:08 PM
I Have No Life

^ now THAT'S aural bliss.
Old 12/5/13, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Your original post says you want a "medium" rumble exhaust note, the Roush is going to be louder than that.

And you can do the resonator delete with any axle back exhaust.

Maybe you should find someone local to you that has the Roush and GT500 mufflers on their car so you can listen to it in person, youtube vids are okay but not as good as hearing it in person.

I would prefer to hear in person but not many people i know have mustangs. Need to place an ad lol

No drone on your outlaws?
Old 12/5/13, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I installed the Ford sport (m5230mgtla) on my 2014 and was a little quiet. Deleted resonators and now just right. Deep tone and not abusive. Nice rumble.
Old 12/5/13, 07:16 PM
GTR Member

No drone on your outlaws?
Drone? From Outlaws? Surely you jest...

It's not as bad as when they were new but it is loud, inside and out, but I dig it!

They aren't for you, way louder than you are looking for.
Old 12/5/13, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Borla S - do it once and do it right. It will cost a little more but you won't ever have to touch your exhaust again.
Old 12/5/13, 08:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Borla S - do it once and do it right. It will cost a little more but you won't ever have to touch your exhaust again.
Amen, sir.

This is what I went through, and am totally in agreement. Borla S... End all be all.
Old 12/5/13, 08:22 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Amen, sir.

This is what I went through, and am totally in agreement. Borla S... End all be all.
Strictly y'alls opinion.

Everyone has their own taste, likes what they like. I like my Outlaws just fine, someone else maybe likes something else. To each, his/her own.
Old 12/5/13, 08:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karrnutt
I have had both Roush and GT500 axle backs. The Roush sound is fabulous ,but it is loud inside and out .What caused me to change was a seven hour drive to see my newest grandson.The sound wore on me so much that I arrived mentally and physically exhausted. The return home was no better and decided to change post haste ! I ordered the Gt 500's from A. M. and installed them immediately. Wow ! What a change ! The whole car seemed new again. The sound of the exhaust was more subtle ; it could still be heard when I got on it but it was very,very quiet at cruising. You can't beat it for the sound or the price. Of course , I'm 72 and have different sensibilities than someone in their thirties or so.
You crack me up. Read it to my husband and we both got a good chuckle.
Old 12/5/13, 11:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Not sure if added performance is something you want to consider as part of your goal, but if it is you should be aware that borlas and kooks do not produce as much of an increase as other brands. If sound is all you want, borla is fine, but for something more you be better off with a different brand. I used American racing long tubes with my stock axle backs; flowmaster also produces marginally better power more often than not as well. It's worth noting that American racing exhaust products are what the CobraJet uses; the headers fit the exhaust ports perfectly on mustangs. There are several strang owners I've run into around my area that have gone with various different exhausts and they run short of what the speed shop put on mine in terms of horsepower and torque. In one case, my gains in both were higher than the other guy's setup by double digits. His was a borla. Sounded great, but he yanked them and went with American Racing 1 7/8" long tubes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Upgrade