Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Electronics package, updating album art HOW?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/10, 01:51 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
I didn't think it WOULD pull off MP3 tracks. Just CD-Audio tracks. Something about DRM. . . but I could be wrong.
I think thats 100% correct
Old 6/29/10, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll find out! Most of my MP3s have no DRM on it and were ripped straight from the original disk, just makes it easier, the MP3 player on my old car was not too complex, so I had to keep the files relatively simple. I also prefer to use a variable bit rate to condense the files a bit.
Old 6/29/10, 02:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Whenever I have my EP car, I plan on just having the map screen up when I drive around. Album art has never been a big deal to me, although I've never had a huge screen in any of my cars either. Can you splitscreen the map and climate controls? If so, that will probably be my second choice.
Old 6/29/10, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, this got my curiosity going and I had to walk out and play with the EP again for five minutes. Luckily I had already thrown one of my MP3 disks into the car, so I was able to throw that in and review the results.

First of all, no obvious way of recording an MP3 disk, I blame DRM. That said, most of my MP3s had their proper titles, albums, artists, and even cover art, which the unit recognized reading off the disk. It notably took it several seconds to load the disk, but it is a 700 MB CD loaded near to the brim.

Secondly, I went to the Jukebox and checked the two disks I had burned using the Update CD Info button Stinger pointed out. The unknown disk it still found nothing, as I figured, but more interestingly when I told it to check the Jillian Goldin CD it said no matches were found. Not that it was already up to date, but that there were NO results. I then thought back to the CD itself and remembered that an old CD/MP3 player with a tiny digital readout actually read the CD and also produced track names and artist info, and that thing obviously had no access to Gracenote or any built in CD identification. The track/artist/album information is physically written on the original disk.

So, there's clearly a way to make a standard CD with this information on, and possibly even album artwork. I'll have to figure out how tonight, I'm more used to having to do this stuff with MP3s. I'll also experiment with DVD-Rs.
Old 6/29/10, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Whenever I have my EP car, I plan on just having the map screen up when I drive around. Album art has never been a big deal to me, although I've never had a huge screen in any of my cars either. Can you splitscreen the map and climate controls? If so, that will probably be my second choice.
I think so yeah. The Home screen has audio in the top right, map screen left, and climate bottom right. But also the climate controls have standard buttons below, which can turn on/off climate control, adjust temperature, or take manual control. Also, even the map screen has this information, just at a thin bar at the bottom with more real estate devoted to the map.
Old 6/29/10, 04:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was shocked when I put it a burned CD from my friends itunes and it just auto-recognized the songs titles and the album art.

I'll toy with it tonight to see what you guys are talking about. I've been so busy lately haven't had time to mess with the EP or Mycolor yet....
Old 6/29/10, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

As long as your friend had all the ID3s and artwork loaded on, it should load up all that no problem straight from the disk. I got pretty into this when I got my iPhone. It devotes so much screen to album covers in iPod mode it just seems a shame to have the plain old white and gray pair of eighth notes.
Old 6/29/10, 05:04 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by Lancel
As long as your friend had all the ID3s and artwork loaded on, it should load up all that no problem straight from the disk. I got pretty into this when I got my iPhone. It devotes so much screen to album covers in iPod mode it just seems a shame to have the plain old white and gray pair of eighth notes.
the original question is how do I load the album art......................
Old 6/29/10, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Naw, but seriously, I was wondering about all of this as well.
Old 6/29/10, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, do this. Just load up iTunes, throw the songs in it and then you have two options. If the track is identified, iTunes may be able to load it itself by right clicking on the track in question and clicking "Get Album Artwork". This should work for an entire album if it's all in the playlist. You can test to see if it loaded it by playing the song in iTunes and if necessary clicking the "Show or hide artwork" button on the bottom left, fourth button over.

If this doesn't work (it generally does if you have the song, artist and album labeled correctly), what I do is right click on the song, click "Get Info", then click the Artwork tab. Get a digital copy of the album artwork, either find it online or just scan it in yourself, then paste it into the Artwork section. You will have to do this for every song in the album individually, unfortunately, but I find a quick method of filling out an album is to do this. Copy the artwork file from the source, either your hard disk or off the internet, it doesn't matter, open the artwork tab, and either right click and paste in the box or press Ctrl+V, then click Next, Ctrl+V, Next, Ctrl+V, repeat until all songs have been visited. Takes about ten seconds. Then press Okay. Now if you burn a CD with those MP3s the artwork should be included.

You can also use this latter technique to load your own artwork for a song if you liked the single's artwork better than the album's or what have you.

Last edited by Lancel; 6/29/10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 6/29/10, 05:24 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, do this. Just load up iTunes, throw the songs in it and then you have two options. If the track is identified, iTunes may be able to load it itself by right clicking on the track in question and clicking "Get Album Artwork". This should work for an entire album if it's all in the playlist. You can test to see if it loaded it by playing the song in iTunes and if necessary clicking the "Show or hide artwork" button on the bottom left, fourth button over.

If this doesn't work (it generally does if you have the song, artist and album labeled correctly), what I do is right click on the song, click "Get Info", then click the Artwork tab. Get a digital copy of the album artwork, either find it online or just scan it in yourself, then paste it into the Artwork section. You will have to do this for every song in the album individually, unfortunately, but I find a quick method of filling out an album is to do this. Copy the artwork file from the source, either your hard disk or off the internet, it doesn't matter, open the artwork tab, and either right click and paste in the box or press Ctrl+V, then click Next, Ctrl+V, Next, Ctrl+V, repeat until all songs have been visited. Takes about ten seconds. Then press Okay. Now if you burn a CD with those MP3s the artwork should be included.

You can also use this latter technique to load your own artwork for a song if you liked the single's artwork better than the album's or what have you.
This post should be stickied thanks Lancel!
Old 6/29/10, 05:27 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

the artwork is already in my itunes and it doesnt transfer. Thats the issue I have had from the start
Old 6/29/10, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, right, right, you want it on the Jukebox. Still working on that one, but this works for MP3 players and MP3 CDs.
Old 6/29/10, 06:06 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Oh, right, right, you want it on the Jukebox. Still working on that one, but this works for MP3 players and MP3 CDs.
right on
Old 6/29/10, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
the artwork is already in my itunes and it doesnt transfer. Thats the issue I have had from the start
Have you checked that the album art is attached to the TRACK, not the folder? With windows, at least, there are two ways to associate album art. The first way is done by placing a jpg (usually hidden) named folder.jpg in the folder along side the audio files. The second way is to actually embed the album art in the audio files. Check the files with a tag editor like mp3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/. My bet is that the actual tracks do not have album art.
Old 6/29/10, 07:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Man am i glad i didn't get NAV. Just sayin'. Not my cup of tea.
Old 6/29/10, 07:43 PM

Hehe, I'm looking forward to playing with the Nav system. But I wonder what Henry Ford would think of this thread.....Album Art? DRM? iTunes? Sync? The old man would be pretty blown away.
Old 6/29/10, 08:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What comes up if you press the CDDB Information box? Maybe the settings aren't right to connect?
Old 6/29/10, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

It just comes up with Gracenote and their logo, plus phone numbers to contact them. I have confirmed that iTunes is highly... simplistic... with how it burns Audio CDs. This may take a bit of work to figure out how to burn the kind of CD we're looking for. I'll also have to read up on the EP itself and whatever standards exist with this, if any, in order to figure out how to put the names in things and hopefully the album art.
Old 6/29/10, 11:14 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
8 track FTW!

Quick Reply: Electronics package, updating album art HOW?!?!?!?!?