Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dyno time and FRPP tune installed

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edited for redundant content

Last edited by Big Vito; 2/24/11 at 08:30 PM.
Old 2/24/11, 09:24 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

ok, the haters in thread are down right hilarious.

It was stated from the beginning that the Dyno was a DynoJet, those are REAL dynos, I can touch them, they exist, therefore they are real. They serve a purpose, and since dynos are tuning tools and not polygraphs, what happened, happened so STFU about Dynojet vs. Mustang we all know the differences one is not better then the other they each serve a purpose and its SUBJECTIVE which you prefer.

The Dyno at Livernois is brand new and was calibrated by Dynojet at install and then they checked up some time after install and verified its calibrated right. SO the dyno cal is right, so unless you calibrate dynos yourself for a living and know better then the company that makes them shut up about the dyno reading high, besides its irrelevant.

My car was on this dyno and backs up all the #'s everyone is talking about, 375 with 54 miles (stock) 391 with 2,400 miles (stock) 415 with 2,401 miles (Livernois tune) and 431 with ~4,000 miles (Steeda CAI and revised Livernois tune).
The car then went on FOUR other dynos, all at different shops (all dynojets, similar weather) and made between 426-430 so this isnt some rouge dyno.

Here is an explanation why Overboost's and my cars have high HP #'s, from 13 miles on the odometer onward our cars had the **** ripped out of them every single day. Hell my car broke 1,000 miles on track at a NASA event at Mid-ohio.
Time and time again it’s been shown that hard break in seats the rings better and results in more hp.

Overboost’s exhaust (my old exhaust, literally the same mufflers) netted 8hp without the x-pipe on my car. so call it ten hp added. Simple math tells us that 391-10=381 which is not abnormal for a 5.0 which was broken in well (even on 87).

So those who are crying foul between 375 and 381 need to get a life, we are talking about a 2% differential and I also just explained the break in. ITS 2% STOP FIGHTING ABOUT IT, ITS INCONSEQUENTIAL!

To play devils advocate I would like to know the reason they asked you to bring it to you with 87 and then did results with 93, I am sure there was a reason, and I am curious.

Second you need to post that graph so the idiots who think peak HP #'s are the ONLY thing that matters can get an education.

Moral of the story, haters are gonna hate, and most of the time they don’t care what all the facts are, they will continue to argue anyway, even if shown to wrong or off base.

Lastly I think its cool that Ford Racing is using real enthusiasts cars for testing and hooking them up. They could just tune company cars, they don’t have to be so generous. I think that’s pretty cool of FRPP.
Old 2/24/11, 09:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
I think you're afraid to try the Steeda tune. Afraid it won't work again and and/or afraid you won't be able to handle it.
It's got me shaking in the corner right now...

Actually, I'm just really happy with this tune, so I will run it for a little longer and see if my impressions change.

Originally Posted by rodmoe
Glad you like it and hope to see the graphs soon
on a side note what is there to gain with the skip shift delete if you (aka ME) have the skipshift unplugged already ? Have you tried the car that way at all ?
thanks for your time to post up also how did you happen to be so dang lucky ?? hehe
I have not tried it with the shift solenoid unplugged. I would expect the results to be identical.

Dyno graph will be up first thing tomorrow morning. I tried to scan it from home, but my Canon all-in-one didn't really want to cooperate.

My car currently has 7000 miles on it when it hit the dyno today.

Last edited by Overboost; 2/24/11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 2/24/11, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome i will look for it then cant wait and i cant wait till you try the steeda with tune
Old 2/24/11, 10:30 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing a post that compares the FRPP and Steeda tunes, maybe with some dyno sheets from the same dyno.
Old 2/25/11, 05:59 AM
GTR Member

Dyno graph added to first post.
Old 2/25/11, 06:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Overboost can you ask Ford Racing when will they have power numbers for the V6 Power Pack? Thanks
Old 2/25/11, 07:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Power and torque curves look much smoother. Almost like it was just a refinement. Probably took advantage of the X pipe, K&N, Axle Back and 93 octane more. This would seem to be something you could feel in the car, especially with the consistency.

I like that you mention the need to let the car cool down to the same temperature for each new run. That's something I haven't heard anyone do. Or at least say that they did.

Kind of reminds me of when I used to watch the Fox Mustang guys drag race and after each one there would be a few of them with bags of ice on the intake manifold. Just random things that can make small blips of differences. At least you were consistent, aside from the 93 octane. But you were up front about the changes made.
Old 2/25/11, 07:36 AM
GT Member

Here is something I posted on another forum that is in regards to talking to Ford Racing about the tune:
  • They are aware of the pinging
  • It is working as designed
  • The knock sensors are doing their job and retarding timing
  • The timing is advanced once the pinging stops
  • They have 1000s of hours on these tunes and know better than anyone how to tune their vehicles
  • They have the equivalent of over 200K miles of testing on these tunes which is why they give a warranty with them
  • There will be no updated tunes available as they make one for each model car, period.

Overboost, my question for you is to make sure they used the tune that everyone can buy or did they use a test tune? Reason I ask is because the Ford Racing support engineer was adamant there would be no other tunes.
Old 2/25/11, 08:01 AM
GTR Member

I did ask him, and the tune is the same as the one sold through FRPP. I was wondering that myself.
Old 2/25/11, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I did ask him, and the tune is the same as the one sold through FRPP. I was wondering that myself.
Makes me feel better...thanks!

I do not remember reading anywhere that they raised the limiter though...in fact, the post on another forum stated they did not. Please confirm this.

Thanks!
Old 2/25/11, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Sweet thanks for putting that up
Old 2/25/11, 09:41 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Timeless
Makes me feel better...thanks!

I do not remember reading anywhere that they raised the limiter though...in fact, the post on another forum stated they did not. Please confirm this.

Thanks!
Links to other posts?

Looking at the graph, the stock runs went up to 6850, and the tune ran to 6950 or so.
Old 2/25/11, 09:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Daddyd666
Why would i read more?
Old 2/25/11, 10:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Steve,

Honestly I think you are full of it. 395rwhp on a "stock" car? Come on man....I'll give you 394rwhp but that's it.

I remember when I got my 05 dyno tuned. CAI, shorty headers, and an xpipe. I made 303rwhp and people called BS. I posted the graph and yet still got ****e for it.

People seriously need to get a life. Great numbers Steve stoked we have so many options for this badass car. Thanks for sharing the info and don't let the haters/Canadians get you down.

As pointed out, dyno's AND cars are machines and no two are exactly the same. Just like your microwave. Some microwaves take 2 min. to heat a burrito. Some take 2min. and 5 seconds. Also depends on the size of the burrito (that's what she said).

Old 2/25/11, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
Steve,

now i have to wipe the coffee off my monitor !!! LMAO
Old 2/25/11, 10:47 AM
GTR Member

That's great. I too had to hold back launching something from my mouth when I read that.
Old 2/25/11, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal

As pointed out, dyno's AND cars are machines and no two are exactly the same. Just like your microwave. Some microwaves take 2 min. to heat a burrito. Some take 2min. and 5 seconds. Also depends on the size of the burrito (that's what she said).
LOL...Yup! If you need some good plotz just email me....

Old 2/25/11, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

Jesus H. Christ you kids will argue over anything. You're ruining a potentially good thread with all your stupid bickering over 15-20 HP. STFU about it already, no one cares.

What really matters is:

1. Same runs, same day, same dyno. Consistent method of testing(Besides the octane thing)
2. Dyno curves.

Stop *****ing over stupid paper numbers. No one cares about that **** except for ricers. Look at the dyno graph to see what's really going on.

What I was most curious about is the 60 ft/lb of torque this tune is supposed to make down low. Cause lets be honest, this car is a dog down low & needs help down there.

Looking at the charts, there is improvement all across the board, but and a nice little torque bump down low like the marketing suggests(albeit they exaggerated a little, but take all marketing bull**** with a grain of salt.)

I can imagine this tune makes the car feel much faster on the street because of that nice little torque bump down low. Not to mention the power is smoother overall with less dips throughout the entire band. Warranty? Yes please. Skip shift? Gone.

This tune seems very nice. Obviously FRPP aren't gonna put the car on the bleeding edge like all the other tuners. If you're a ricer & looking for peak paper gains, look elsewhere.

If you actually understand what this tune does (refinement, small gains all across the board, torque bump down low) & understand how it affects the car on the street.....AND you want something "warranty safe" this tune is for you. Not to mention, I hear this tune (like most others) makes the throttle response snappier. Two thumbs up!

Seriously, look at the chart. Look at the 1,500 RPM range. That dip in torque is gone & it's now a lot fatter down there. It stays fatter until almost 3,000 RPM. That's the weak area on the stock tune. Good job FRPP! Don't knock it till you try it. All you bench racers need to lay off.

That said, it would have been nice if the baseline run was with 93 octane too......but that's marketing for ya.

I for one will be getting this tune, that will hold me over for a few years until the warranty gets closer to expiring....then I'll be doing the real mods.

Sorry, you guys just argue over the stupidest ****. Take your garbage elsewhere.
/end rant

*EDIT* I'm not downplaying the other great tunes out there that make more power. Those are awesome too! But if/when you take your car in for service are you gonna leave that tune in the car? Didn't think so.

Last edited by Arak-Nafein; 2/25/11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 2/25/11, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Steve, sounds like you had a great experience with both the people at Livernois and FRPP. Those are some impressive results on a mostly stock car. Can't wait to go for a ride once it gets nicer out.

Quick Reply: Dyno time and FRPP tune installed