Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Whoa whoa that's serious. lol
LMAO!!! Smartass
Old 4/20/12, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No amount of buffing will change white chips into colored paint. Maybe one of these colored touch pens....
Old 4/20/12, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
give dr colorchip a try. I've heard good things about it.
Old 4/20/12, 07:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Being in the business,

as long as the dump truck had properly installed mud flaps and an operable cover for the dump bed that was in place if it was carrying a load, you can do nothing.
It sounds like you may have more experience with this, but having successfully gone after a company whose dump truck, with mudflaps, sent a rock into my windshield, it certainly can be done.

That being said, OP your insurance company needs to go after either the dump truck, or the source of the gravel. If the source of the gravel were on a state or city highway, you can go that route as that should have been maintained. If its someone's private drive, once again you can go after them as it needs to be kept within the driveway, not out in the street. It all depends on how it was in the road I suppose.

Good luck man. I feel for you and hope you can get it handled
Old 4/20/12, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Banjostang

I slowed down as soon as the guy switched lanes in front of me and even though he was 3-4 car lengths in front of me my car was getting nailed by debris. Guess I could have locked up the breaks on the rocks and caused an accident with the rush-hour traffic.
Pretty sure you must mean brakes?
Old 4/20/12, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, really - I had one cut me off on the Interstate and pelt me with debris just the other day with similar results - I never ever ever ever ever give 'em a break.... ever.
Old 4/20/12, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My suggestion would be so "captan obvious" but did you try fords touch up paint?
Old 4/20/12, 08:49 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Saleen544

It sounds like you may have more experience with this, but having successfully gone after a company whose dump truck, with mudflaps, sent a rock into my windshield, it certainly can be done.

That being said, OP your insurance company needs to go after either the dump truck, or the source of the gravel. If the source of the gravel were on a state or city highway, you can go that route as that should have been maintained. If its someone's private drive, once again you can go after them as it needs to be kept within the driveway, not out in the street. It all depends on how it was in the road I suppose.

Good luck man. I feel for you and hope you can get it handled
You can of course try but if it didn't have mud flaps at all it's a slam dunk no brainier.

State or city highway is a pointless route as they simply have sovereign immunity to such claims.

I guess we need exact info and between those of us here willing to try we could give pretty decent advice I think.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 4/20/12 at 11:24 PM.
Old 4/20/12, 09:06 PM
GT Member

Thanks all,

I'll look in to the Dr. Chip and Ford Kona touch up. With Kona being such a funky color the fix may stand out more than the damage.

On a happier note, after taking it to a touchless car wash I got lucky because about 1/2 of what first appeared to be damage was actually more like chalk marks and washed away. It was getting dark so I'll have to wait till tomorrow in the light of day to see how much damage is left.

Again, appreciate the suggestions and support.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 4/20/12, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Contact your insurance company, that is why you have comprehensive insurance. It does not count against you. Get it done right. As for the truck, if you have a company name, or license number your insurance company may ask for that information and file a claim with the trucks carrier. In the end, if they are successful, you will have a check for your deductible from them. If not, you are out the deductible, but your car looks perfect again. It is worth a shot and you get the paint repaired properly.
Old 4/20/12, 09:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Barry626
Pretty sure you must mean brakes?
No I meant breaks. I did that on purpose because my second job is working for Al Gore to ensure that random internet typo's are identified and the perpetrators are sent to see the Spanish Inquisition. (no one suspects it)
Good to know you are on the job.
Old 4/20/12, 09:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Contact your insurance company, that is why you have comprehensive insurance. It does not count against you. Get it done right. As for the truck, if you have a company name, or license number your insurance company may ask for that information and file a claim with the trucks carrier. In the end, if they are successful, you will have a check for your deductible from them. If not, you are out the deductible, but your car looks perfect again. It is worth a shot and you get the paint repaired properly.
I checked my policy and it has a very low deductible. Just going to get done by a pro and be done with it.

Thanks.
Old 4/20/12, 09:32 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by McNassty
TROLL!!!
pot.. kettle...
Old 4/20/12, 10:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Banjostang
I checked my policy and it has a very low deductible. Just going to get done by a pro and be done with it.

Thanks.
Only way to go. I shop hard for insurance, but once I've made the decision I don't blink when I pay the prems. Do my best to avoid claims if I can and typically have high deductibles to keep prems low so small stuff is on me. But if something happens, I don't hestiate to call my agent and get what I've been payin for. I've had a huge medical claim, huge homeowners claim after a heavy snow finished what a strong earthquake started, and I've got a huge medical claim going right now. I love insurance - it protects my assets!

Couple of years ago I was volunteering at a downtown street fair to raise funds for the food bank. Some chump keyed my Bullitt while it was parked in front of the Courthouse. Had only had it 1 1/2 yrs and I wasn't ready to have a McQueen beater so soon! Plus here I'm helping my community. Makes me sick - bunch of low lifes.

So although the key marks were mostly on the rf fender and a mark on the rr qtr on top by the trunk, they can only blend paint - not clearcoat. I went to the best shop in town that did all the work for the Ford Dealer and the local ins cos praised their work and were tied in direct. No questions asked.

So after small dings were popped out, a superb paint match & blend, clearcoating all those panels, ran the bill up to $1487! They also had to replace parts of the 3M mask and reapply my fancy Dealer polymer treatment. Thought I had a $100 deduct on comp but it was actually 0. State Farm didn't blink and didn't bump my rates afterwards either because comp isn't my fault.

So get it fixed so its just like from the factory again. You'll feel better!

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/20/12 at 11:03 PM.
Old 4/21/12, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Kona Blue, 2011, right??

When I had my 2011 Kona Blue GT, I noticed the paint was very thin, and I had marks/chips all over my bumper and hood when I traded the Kona Blue in for a White Mustang.

The manufacturers have perfected getting a thin coat of paint on a car to look really well, but the durability of the paint is horrendous, which is why I am sticking to base non-metallic colors from now on.

Since you may be looking to get a repaint, you can be sure they put 3-coats of paint on the front to retain some durability.
Old 4/21/12, 04:43 PM
GT Member

Gave the car a closer look today after washing last night and it is not nearly as bad as it was. A lot of the rock marks went away with the wash. I had a 4 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant/protectant on the car which may have helped protect the paint from the smaller impacts. I put another coat of BFWD on it this morning and that really cleared up most of the remaining smaller marks. I still have a few larger paint chips (about 5) in various places on the front of the car which I'll try to fix with some touch up paint. There is some peppering down low on the spoiler but you'd have to bend down to see it. Really impressed with how well the BFWD worked on hiding the smaller marks and scratches.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 4/21/12, 04:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man I'm sorry that happened to your car and thats why I preach the clear bra. I know its pricey but it has saved my car so many times.... Just wish I cold find a windscreen clear bra like the tear offs they use in racing but they are no durable enough and talk about pricey!!! Get it repainted and then the 3M clear bra and cover your lights, A pillars and quarter fenders.. You wont be disappointed!!
Old 4/23/12, 01:41 PM
V6 Member

Ive used DR Colorchip on vehicles with severe road rash on the hood,with good success....

It will hide it from about 4-5 ft away....Pock marks will still be visible if you get up close,depending on depth of rock chip...

This works much better than regular touch up paint.
Old 4/23/12, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 180 mile round trip 3 days a week. Lots of large truck traffic. One thing I have going for me is that they have to stay in the right hand lanes. This helps, but does not make it completely avoidable to get the rocks coming at you. For me it's mostly tire shred material, especially in the early morning hours. I've had close calls from the cars in front of me sling a piece up and at my windshield and fenders. I try and keep the "1 car per 10 MPH" distance. So far I've been lucky, but I'm riding on borrowed time.

Good luck on the repairs. Let us know how it went.
Old 4/25/12, 09:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Banjo, call your Insurance Co. It's covered under your comprehensive section with no deductible. It's gonna take you much time, and effort to pursue the truck company. And then they won't pay anyway. Sux I know, but I've been there. Big truck, I-40 Colorado, truck changed lanes, and two rocks equaled cracked windshield, and chunk out of right quarter. Good luck.

BTW, I understand the "nowhere to go" situation.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/25/12 at 09:15 AM.