2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

drove a new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/10, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not the first to say this. Others have test driven a 5.0 and felt the same thing, it's deceptive because the engine is different from what most people expect and they find themselves looking for the power and the sound in the wrong places. I'll tell you what we told them, as it worked for them.

Firstly, the powerband starts at ~4500 RPM and goes almost all the way to redline at 6850 RPM. This is generally higher than most are accustomed to coming from other American cars. If you're looking for the power in low end torque, you're looking in the wrong place. Wind it out. The torque curve is also deceptively smooth, I can tell you that the old "butt meter" notices the acceleration much less when I accelerate from say 2000 RPM all the way to redline. The curve is gentle and that change in acceleration is distributed evenly over those few seconds. I find that if I gently accelerate to 4000-4500 RPM in 1st (or better, 2nd, IMO), go steady there for a second, then floor it, you very much so notice the power.

Finally, there are sound considerations also. The 2010+s have better soundproofing than the 05-09s, and deaden the exhaust very significantly. Engine noise is still there though due to the sound tube, but if you're listening for the exhaust, again, wrong thing to listen for. Opening the windows may help to get the exhaust sound. I know when from the interior of my car it actually sounds quieter and tamer than my old V6, but when I let it idle and stepped outside the car and just listened to it with the exhaust... Well, to me it sounds like a right proper V8, even at idle. I certainly acknowledged the sound was more powerful than that V6.
Old 9/29/10, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

I think low end torque is something they will work on so that people instantly feel the power without having to rev to 5000+.
Old 9/29/10, 09:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Well I've owned an 05 GT, the 08 Bullitt and currently an 08 GT500. So I think I've got a good handle on the power these cars put out. I've test drove several 5.0's and 011 GT500's. If you can't feel the power in these two models than you're either in denial or there is something impairing your senses.
Both cars offer significant performance above their counterparts from previous model years.
Old 9/29/10, 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEPUTY62
i must say i went to the local ford dealership and drove a new stang while mine was having some repair work (strut mount broke) completed. the salesman threw me the keys and told me to take it for a spin... well i did just that and i mean to tell you i drove it like i stole it. i was disapointed it seemed weak. so i returned it and told him that it was very weak. so he threw me keys to another one this one with 3.73 gears. did the same thing. it had alittle more get up and go but still very very weak in comparison to my 06. by the way aside from a few small mods mine is stock... and believe it or not still under warranty.. im very happy with what i have. what do you guys think andot the new 5.0? my openion 400 hp... i could not find it, feel it, or hear it any where on the two i drove.. one was a regular gt and the other was a cs/gt...
Like others have said the sound deadening in these cars is taking away alot of the sense of sound speed. I test drove an auto '10 and even though I couldn't here the exhaust to much it certianly felt faster then my current 07. I have ridden in an '11 and it is alot faster. I have yet to test drive one but will do so in the next few months. This car is certianly fast there is no doubt about that.

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
That would be rather odd to not notice about 100 HP difference. Maybe the guy gave you a V6 with 5.0 badges on it
So that's where the Hawaii 5.0 car went.
Old 9/29/10, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

To the OP..the salesman tossed you the keys to 2 brand new 2011 5.0 GTs and let you take it out and rip it a new one (if true, feel sorry for the one that bought the car) and he wasn't in the car with you? Not to mention you didn't feel a difference between that and your 06 Must. GT? Does anyone else find this story a little far fetched? I'm having a hard time believing this story...sorry.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 9/29/10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 9/29/10, 11:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
To the OP..the salesman tossed you the keys to a brand new 2011 5.0 GT and let you take it out and rip it a new one (if true, feel sorry for the one that bought the car) and he wasn't in the car with you? Not to mention you didn't feel a difference between that and your 06 Must. GT? Does anyone else find this story a little far fetched? I'm having a hard time believing this story...sorry.

Dave
Trying to make himself feel better about his '06 maybe.
Old 9/29/10, 11:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Trying to make himself feel better about his '06 maybe.
Either that or he is in utter denial...First off a dealer letting a non dealer employee take 2 brand new cars out in which he left no deposit and they let him take these cars out for a joyride? I worked at a dealership before and this was grounds for immediate dismissal.

When ever I read stories like this I automatically think as you say...make yourself feel better because you don't have the latest and greatest. I drove a 2008 Must.GT before (granted about a year ago) and a 2011 Must. GT before I bought the M3 and there was no comparison. The 2011 after 4500 rpm felt like it was on nitrous the way it wanted to charge to redline. When I did my test drive with the dealer I bumped up against the rev limiter (I just test drove the E92 M3) and when I hit 7krpm I don't know what I was thinking other than I have another 1400rpm to go. That thing didn't lose any wind at all at the top of the tach..it felt like it could rev to 8krpm.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 9/29/10 at 11:23 PM.
Old 9/29/10, 11:27 PM

I'm not sure if I should retch or laugh when i see these sorts of posts. Unless you want to spend another $30k, no production car on the planet can touch this car. The OP never brought it to 3500 rpm +, apparently. Or, he's used to a fart can on the rear end to make it SOUND fast.
Old 9/29/10, 11:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im not trying to ruffle anyones feathers and no i was not stoned when i drove it.. maybe i need to drive one again but to me on take off i just was not impressed. i like to feel the power... i must admit it was a real smothe ride maybe it is better and faster i know i like the looks of the new engine. i was just expecting to be blown away but insted i felt like i was driving my uncles cadi. i will admit i have very little experience with the six speed tranny that may have played a part in my disappointment aswell.. so im not just talking about the car it may be my fault too...
Old 9/30/10, 12:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
again im sorry if i made you guys angry. the only reason he tossed the keys is because i have been doing business with this dealer for years.
Old 9/30/10, 05:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DEPUTY62
again im sorry if i made you guys angry. the only reason he tossed the keys is because i have been doing business with this dealer for years.
I believe you. I've gone to 2 dealerships and both allowed me to take out 2011 GT500's by myself. On the Shelby forum there were a couple of guys who didn't believe me. Well what can I say? It's true. Perhaps because I own a GT500 they trusted that I knew how to handle the car.

As for performance of 5.0 vs. 4.6....it's probably how you drove it. If you stayed more in 2nd gear you'd probably be able to play with torque a bit more. The new cars I also feel are more "refined" feeling. When I drove a new GT500 I could certainly feel every bit of it's power but the ride felt so smooth. Getting back into my 08 it felt like I was in a Muscle Car, it just felt a bit more raw.

Don't overlook exhaust systems as being one reason for the lack of feeling. There is just no way a stock system is going to give you the sound most of us want. I've got the KR exhaust and H pipe on my GT500 and it makes a HUGE difference in sound, it's like a race car.
If I had a 5.0 I would put a Borla ATAK system on it as my first mod.
Old 9/30/10, 05:54 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

My 5.0L, from a dead stop, will pretty much pin me to my seat, and the acceleration just gets more intense as the tach climbs. Those Mustang guys and gals that are coming from a 3V 4.6L, 2V 4.6L or even a naturally-aspirated 4V 4.6L will appreciate the low-end torque the new 4V 5.0L engine produces. IMO, my 2007 Mustang GT with 3.55 gears had nothing down low; my 2011 feels like a diesel in comparison.
Old 9/30/10, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I find it interesting that some of the '11 owners are saying you've got to rev it to get the power out and others say the low end is awesome. I guess it's just that everyone has different impressions.
Old 9/30/10, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

i don't think it needs to be rev'd, you can stay under 5k as long as you mash the throttle and go very fast.

i have had a fox 5.0 and have a 4.6 sn95, both 5-speeds along with new the 2011 GT . the older motors labor to rev, not this motor, maybe that's why people think it needs rpms.
i also ride a low 10 sec sportbike that becomes a unicycle with a ham-fist at the throttle, so my perspective on speed is not my imagination.

to the OP, de Nile is not only a river in Egypt
Old 9/30/10, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
I find it interesting that some of the '11 owners are saying you've got to rev it to get the power out and others say the low end is awesome. I guess it's just that everyone has different impressions.
Mostly I'm just not one to comment on that. Coming from a 190/210 V6, of course my 412/390 5.0 has more low end torque. I can only say that I note a definite increase in power around 4500 RPM, and that that seems to be the most common issue with these posts. I mean I can chirp the tires in 2nd, and yesterday the back end broke loose on me while I was turning onto a highway at high acceleration in 1st, and yes, that was with full traction control. Wasn't that bad, it was a slow drift, I was thinking more "Woah! Awesome! My back end broke loose!" rather than "AHH! NOOO! My back end broke loose!" Still ended up halfway in the other lane, which was embarrassing, but I'd never had that happen before.

Yes, I know, I suck.
Old 9/30/10, 08:01 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You have to pay attention to the speedometers in the 2011's. 100 m.p.h. feels like 60 m.p.h. in my V-6.
Old 9/30/10, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

ya i think the refinement can trick people into thinking its not as fast as it is. My last mustang was an 05 GT with a vortech, 436 rwhp. And i think the 5.0 feels just as fast.
Old 9/30/10, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I just don't get it. My 2011 6-speed with 3.73 scares me. The torque is insane. I think the issue is that the car and motor are SO refined compared to previous stangs that you don't realize how fast you're going!
Old 9/30/10, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this guy is telling himself WHAT HE WANTS to believe, so that he won't have to dump that 06 he is riding in. Jealous much?
Old 9/30/10, 11:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With everyone else on this one.
Its smoother, therefore more deceiving in how fast it really is.

Coming from an 05-10 and expecting the extra power to throw you into the backseat are going to be disappointed. But do not kid yourself, it'll wipe the floor with your pre-11.

Quick Reply: drove a new 5.0