Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drive shaft and suspension kit

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/18, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive shaft and suspension kit

Hi Everyone,

I am starting the long road of upgrading my 2013 GT Premium with Track Pack. I have done some research, but there is one issue I want to be sure of before buying my next part. Currently I am in the first phase of this install which includes the Ford Racing Suspension Kit (ordered, but not installed yet), Michelin 4s tires, and driveshaft shops one piece carbon fiber drive shaft. I am ready to purchase the drive shaft soon and won't be installing these parts until spring. I am a novice when it comes to working on a car, but I would like to tackle these parts on my own and take my mustang in for an alignment only. I like this particular drive shaft as it seems like a quality piece from a reputable company from what I have read. I will also want it for when I go supercharged. My main concern with this drive shaft is if I will need anything extra to avoid a hum or vibration in the car. The suspension kit itself supposedly drops the car ~1 inch front and rear as well as an adjustable pan hard bar, front and rear sway bars. I did speak with the driveshaft shop about their drive shaft. They told me that I should be ok, and that I should not mess with the pinion angle on it in addition to saying "keep it as close to stock as possible". I am conflicted as if the pinion angle changes you would think you would want adjustable upper and lower control arms to get it back to where it needs to be. Perhaps this is because my drop isn't significant and the driveshaft itself is slimmer so there is more clearance. Thoughts on this? Just want to make sure I am good to go to buy, install and drive. Anyone own a lowered mustang with a one piece drive shaft?

Drive Shaft: https://www.americanmuscle.com/dss-c...ft-1114gt.html
Suspension ordered: https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...assembled.html

Current Mods: Bama V2 tune (will be gone once I go supercharged), Ford Racing sport axle-back.
Old 11/27/18, 08:27 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I am lowered on Steeda sport springs and have their 1 piece aluminum drive shaft. I have an adjustable upper control arm and did some minor adjustment to correct pinion shaft angle.
The following users liked this post:
TrackPack89 (11/28/18)
Old 11/28/18, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by EF1
I am lowered on Steeda sport springs and have their 1 piece aluminum drive shaft. I have an adjustable upper control arm and did some minor adjustment to correct pinion shaft angle.
Thanks for the reply! The Steeda sport springs are a more aggressive drop than the ford racing suspension kit, but I am debating if adjustable lower and upper control arms is something I should do in addition to the DS. DSS says I won't need it and to keep the car "as close to stock as possible", but it seems like it is a smart choice. I just want to make sure I do this right so I don't sacrifice in terms of DD and avoid noises/vibrations.
Old 11/28/18, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
The Steeda Sports should be 1" front and 1.25" rear drop and the Ford performance is 1" all around. The Steeda Ultra light drop just a little more. 1.2, and 1.5. The extra .25" 'levels' out the rake in the rear. You cant go wrong with either set up. It looks like the Ford kit offers an adjustable pan hard bar, and you'll need that as the axle will shift a bit to the left/drivers side when you lower it.
Old 11/28/18, 06:31 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TrackPack89
Thanks for the reply! The Steeda sport springs are a more aggressive drop than the ford racing suspension kit, but I am debating if adjustable lower and upper control arms is something I should do in addition to the DS. DSS says I won't need it and to keep the car "as close to stock as possible", but it seems like it is a smart choice. I just want to make sure I do this right so I don't sacrifice in terms of DD and avoid noises/vibrations.
You can adjust the pinion angle with just the adjustable upper control arm. I have billet lower control arms with urethane bushings that are not adjustable. The stiffer bushings on the lowers help with wheel hop.
Old 11/29/18, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by EF1
You can adjust the pinion angle with just the adjustable upper control arm. I have billet lower control arms with urethane bushings that are not adjustable. The stiffer bushings on the lowers help with wheel hop.
Gotcha, I wasn't planning on doing UCA and LCA's. Any recommendations on something that is quite and doesn't hurt the ride?

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
The Steeda Sports should be 1" front and 1.25" rear drop and the Ford performance is 1" all around. The Steeda Ultra light drop just a little more. 1.2, and 1.5. The extra .25" 'levels' out the rake in the rear. You cant go wrong with either set up. It looks like the Ford kit offers an adjustable pan hard bar, and you'll need that as the axle will shift a bit to the left/drivers side when you lower it.
Yea pretty much the only thing the Ford kit doesn't replace is UCA and LCA which I still may end up doing soon.
Old 11/29/18, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I added LCA's and they didnt introduce any NVH, and they wont hurt the ride. Both BMR and Steeda are good options, and there may be others as well. I've read the UCA may introduce some noise in the cabin, and I think that depends on the bushing being used.
Old 11/29/18, 07:36 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I have the Steeda adjustable upper control arm and their billet aluminum lower control arms. I installed at the same time as the Steeda Sport springs, adj camber plaster, adj pan hard bar, and Koni orange shocks/struts. It may have increased noise a little bit, but I can't pinpoint which item(s) did it.
Old 11/29/18, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I fitted Steeda adjustable upper control arm.and mount, whiteline adjustable LCA and relocation brackets, polyurethane diff housing bushings. It made my mustang ride like crap, very stiff ride and I could hear loud diff whine 60-75mph in 6th gear under load.

I installed new oem track pack LCA with rubber bushings, removed the brackets, replaced the diff housing bushing with an OEM and the ride is so much better.
Old 11/30/18, 05:48 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

It all depends on what you are after. My car handles much better than stock and is only slightly louder than stock. I picked up more noise from the MGW shifter and urethane bushings than from the suspension upgrades. The car is much more composed than before. It is firm without being harsh. The rise under acceleration and dive under braking are gone and it corners much better. I wouldn't go back to stock for how I drive mine.