Sponsored By:

Double clutching Pros-Cons

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/11, 05:16 PM
Rom
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I double clutch too always, yes its not necessary but as mentioned:
1) its fun to do ( keeps feet real busy, your mind too trying to guess how much rev to rev match smoothly at your current speed in your current gear)
2) it possibly saves the synchros a little more wear
3) it sounds fantastic ( vROOOOM ) !
Old 11/23/11, 05:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To those suggesting a double-clutch method because of the sound, you are aware that you are supposed to blip the throttle during a downshift whether you are double-clutching or not, right?
Old 11/23/11, 05:43 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
To those suggesting a double-clutch method because of the sound, you are aware that you are supposed to blip the throttle during a downshift whether you are double-clutching or not, right?
Lol +1! I blip the throttle every downshift and I hate double clutching! Waste of time and effort!
Old 11/23/11, 05:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
Says who?
Old 11/23/11, 06:18 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Says who?
06GT.
Old 11/23/11, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Says who?
Your synchros.
Old 11/23/11, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
06GT.
Also this.
Old 11/23/11, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Woft
Old 11/23/11, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm

Push the clutch in, go to nuetral, let the clutch out, blip throttle to proper rev range, put the clutch in, select the gear, let the clutch out.

Sounds like it takes a while but that is about half a second once you get used to it, the transition to the lower gear is like the car is not even on.
What's the whole point of it
Old 11/23/11, 08:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Saves synchro wear, no way to say it won't.
you are mechanically saving the synchros from wear, no way around it.
That's if you know how a synchro works of course lol.
Old 11/23/11, 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

Sometimes it's required..........but after this double clutching the stang is a breeze
Attached Thumbnails Double clutching Pros-Cons-48-ford.jpg  

Last edited by Shelby08; 11/23/11 at 08:13 PM. Reason: ;
Old 11/23/11, 08:16 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The only way that you can wear a syncro is from letting it grind. Which can chip the teeth a little. The only thing that you guys are doing is maybe saving a little friction material on the blocker rings but I don't see that really wearing. If the syncro is not grinding, and you are not missing gears, it's not gonna wear. If double clutching is keeping cold shifts from grinding, then by all means do it. If it isn't grinding, your not saving anything. Rev match if you don't plan on using the clutch to shift.
Old 11/23/11, 08:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
The only way that you can wear a syncro is from letting it grind. Which can chip the teeth a little. The only thing that you guys are doing is maybe saving a little friction material on the blocker rings but I don't see that really wearing. If the syncro is not grinding, and you are not missing gears, it's not gonna wear. If double clutching is keeping cold shifts from grinding, then by all means do it. If it isn't grinding, your not saving anything. Rev match if you don't plan on using the clutch to shift.
Old 11/23/11, 08:47 PM

Werd
Old 11/23/11, 10:18 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Saves synchro wear, no way to say it won't.
you are mechanically saving the synchros from wear, no way around it.
That's if you know how a synchro works of course lol.
1. Syncros were invented to keep from having to double clutch so you should just get a tranny without them.
And 2. If your gear oil is good enough and you know how to shift... You really arnt saving all that much... Transmissions when shifted right and properly maintained, will easily last longer than the rest of the vehicle.
Old 11/23/11, 10:25 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
1. Syncros were invented to keep from having to double clutch so you should just get a tranny without them.
And 2. If your gear oil is good enough and you know how to shift... You really arnt saving all that much... Transmissions when shifted right and properly maintained, will easily last longer than the rest of the vehicle. (Unless its an MT82)
Fixed.

Old 11/23/11, 10:31 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

Fixed.

Yes I did forget to mention that Lmao. Nice touch
Old 11/23/11, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And 2. If your gear oil is good enough and you know how to shift... You really arnt saving all that much... Transmissions when shifted right and properly maintained, will easily last longer than the rest of the vehicle.
Exactly, before syncros were invented you had to double clutch so you didn't grind out your tranny. Syncros were invented to assist the driver in this so they didn't have to double clutch. If you push the clutch in and select a lower gear (without letting out the clutch) you can hear the syncros wind up to match your revs. You should still always blip the throttle though so that engine and output shaft are matched for your current speed. Rev matching also keeps you from having jerky shifts so its a good thing to do shifting up or down.
Old 11/24/11, 04:32 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
maybe saving a little friction material on the blocker rings but I don't see that really wearing. If the syncro is not grinding, and you are not missing gears, it's not gonna wear. If double clutching is keeping cold shifts from grinding, then by all means do it.
I've rebuilt two top loaders over the years. I've seen the wear. And the filings.
I also have 253k on my F150 4spd with zero trans problems. I have double clutched down shifts since it was new in 83. I hope to have Bullitt that long.
Do what you want, I'm DCin.

Last edited by cdynaco; 11/24/11 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11/25/11, 07:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Exactly, before syncros were invented you had to double clutch so you didn't grind out your tranny. Syncros were invented to assist the driver in this so they didn't have to double clutch. If you push the clutch in and select a lower gear (without letting out the clutch) you can hear the syncros wind up to match your revs. You should still always blip the throttle though so that engine and output shaft are matched for your current speed. Rev matching also keeps you from having jerky shifts so its a good thing to do shifting up or down.
Why rev match then? synchros were invented so you don't have to do all thgat right?

Quick Reply: Double clutching Pros-Cons