2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Does the stock alarm/anti-theft enough?

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/10 | 12:40 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by WaltM
Why not? When you go to work, do use tools? If you're in an office, you'll use a pen and paper. If you're a mechanic, you'lll use a set of hand tools.

So If you're a car thief, why wouldn't you carry whatever tools you needed to get the job done?
cause cheese whiz doesn't fit in your back pocket?
Old 5/1/10 | 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nothing will prevent a car thief from taking your car. Things will make it inconvenient to take your car to varying degrees.

Static defenses have never, never do, and never will completely prevent something from happening. Only active defenses (that would be you with a gun) can truly prevent something like that.

So the question is: how much money are you willing to spend to inconvenience a potential car thief to the point of moving on? There's a spread here. Calculus would come in handy.
Old 5/1/10 | 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Why not? When you go to work, do use tools? If you're in an office, you'll use a pen and paper. If you're a mechanic, you'lll use a set of hand tools.

So If you're a car thief, why wouldn't you carry whatever tools you needed to get the job done?
I know, but I was referring to the amateur, who just saw a nice car and wants to make a ride.

Of course the pros will carry their tools...
Old 5/1/10 | 10:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RickyD
I know, but I was referring to the amateur, who just saw a nice car and wants to make a ride. Of course the pros will carry their tools...
True. The best bet to keep the amateur away is by locking yoiur car and taking the keys. The chipped key and active alarm should be enough of a deterrent.
Old 5/1/10 | 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
cause cheese whiz doesn't fit in your back pocket?
LMAO. . . in or out of the container?
Old 5/1/10 | 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Rick, get the Boomerang. Check with your insurance company about the difference in premiums with the system.
Funny you've mentionned that, talked to the insurance cie that will insure my car, and they said no need for any sort of tracking device. It wouldn't lower the premium in my case, they said the security package that Ford offers would be fine. Didn't feel like mentionning to him that Montreal is the car theft capital of North America. Can't have everything.
Old 5/1/10 | 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Nothing will prevent a car thief from taking your car. Things will make it inconvenient to take your car to varying degrees.

Static defenses have never, never do, and never will completely prevent something from happening. Only active defenses (that would be you with a gun) can truly prevent something like that.

So the question is: how much money are you willing to spend to inconvenience a potential car thief to the point of moving on? There's a spread here. Calculus would come in handy.
Nowhere in Canada are you allowed to carry any kind of firearms on you. This ain't Wisconsin or Florida ( i think at least there it has to be concealed.) Crazy world.
Old 5/1/10 | 07:33 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Funny you've mentionned that, talked to the insurance cie that will insure my car, and they said no need for any sort of tracking device. It wouldn't lower the premium in my case, they said the security package that Ford offers would be fine. Didn't feel like mentionning to him that Montreal is the car theft capital of North America. Can't have everything.
Who did you end up going with? What rate did they offer you?
Old 5/1/10 | 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Nowhere in Canada are you allowed to carry any kind of firearms on you. This ain't Wisconsin or Florida ( i think at least there it has to be concealed.) Crazy world.
Wisconsin doesn't let the public carry concealed weapons at all actually, it's one of only two states that won't issue a permit for it. Most of the rest will issue one if you meet all established criteria (can't be an ex-convict for one, meet minimum age, etc.).

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Static defenses have never, never do, and never will completely prevent something from happening.
Given your present occupation that's a pretty funny statement, but at least your static defense is an autofire gatling gun.
Old 5/1/10 | 08:59 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Lancel
Wisconsin doesn't let the public carry concealed weapons at all actually, it's one of only two states that won't issue a permit for it. Most of the rest will issue one if you meet all established criteria (can't be an ex-convict for one, meet minimum age, etc.).
So you can own guns according to the US Constitution, but you can't take it anywhere?
Old 5/1/10 | 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
So you can own guns according to the US Constitution, but you can't take it anywhere?
Imagine if Texas tried to pull that...
Old 5/1/10 | 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dunno the specifics of the law, but you'd still be able to keep one loaded in your home/property, but probably not anywhere else.
Old 5/1/10 | 09:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
Imagine if Texas tried to pull that...
Have quite a few friends that are always packing, have CHL's, I have considered it but always found better things to spend my money on.
Old 5/1/10 | 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Have quite a few friends that are always packing, have CHL's, I have considered it but always found better things to spend my money on.
Same here. Most of my co-workers carry to work and I work in an office. Even our CEO is packing.
Old 5/1/10 | 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've known people to get fired for carrying a gun into the office.
Old 5/1/10 | 11:17 PM
FR500 Member

What you really need is the trunk monkey theft retrieval system. Problem solved.

demo here.
Old 5/2/10 | 02:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lancel

Given your present occupation that's a pretty funny statement, but at least your static defense is an autofire gatling gun.
Yeah, Wisconsin is ghey, that's where my wife is living while I'm gone (where she grew up). Other than the guns thing, though, it's a pretty awesome state. I believe you are allowed to open carry (not concealed). I know in Virginia, open carry is the law, and in the Norfolk area many military folks exercise that right regularly.

And yeah, I know I'm on defense over here, and (without going into specifics) no, it can't stop everything. But it's better than nothing. It's more of a psychological asset than it is a physical asset. You can hear it from a long ways off.
Old 5/2/10 | 02:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Don't worry about the weapon; just get the Trunk Monkey!
Old 5/2/10 | 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

back in "fox" days..

all you needed to steal one was a long thin flat head screwdriver, and ignition switch.. which you could buy at any local parts store or find one in a junk yard..

could be in ANY fox.. and down the street in about 30 sec..

Old 5/2/10 | 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RickyD
Do you feel the stock alarm system on the Mustang 2010-2011 is up to the task, or a 3rd party device should be added?
To get things back on track a tad for the O.P.:

While I have no experience with the alarm on the 2010+ Mustangs, I can tell you we have the active system on our 2008 and it works well. A little too well, perhaps.

This past summer, I went to the Woodward Dream Cruise and parked at Mustang Alley. I left the windows down, but locked the doors because I wanted the alarm activated since I had some camera equipment in the trunk. My dad and I walked around for an hour or two and came back to the car to get some drinks out of the cooler. Upon opening my trunk, a guy approached me (in a very polite way) and said the alarm kept going off like crazy whenever people were walking along the sides of my car to look inside. I felt terrible that people had to put up with that so I just left the car unlocked when we went back out walking around. Seemed like some good people in the areas around my car so I felt comfortable enough that nobody would mess with anything.

My point? If the current factory alarm works at least as well as mine, it will work well. If Ford somehow tweaked the sensitivity of the motion sensors, it will work even better!

Quick Reply: Does the stock alarm/anti-theft enough?